A sense of purpose by Nikon

Guest stnami

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We don't know what the cost or lead-time is but at face value, Nikon are offering an upgrade with immediate availability. That contrasts with the Leica upgrade program which was announced at least 6 months before it will be available.

I do wish Leica would stop it. Stop announcing product or services before availability and cut the "Mother knows best" attitude.

It's nice that Nikon has an interest in upgrading and the will to actually do it; but I have to say that upgrading from a 16-shot burst to a 40-shot, while no-doubt useful for some folks -- sports shooters, mostly, I'd guess -- for most of us, it's about equal in usefulness to the Leica upgrade. That is, not too useful. It does seem shockingly cheap compared to the Leica offer, however...

JC

The D3 NEF sizes are anywhere between 13MB and 17MB each, let's say it's 20MB, adding 24 shots in a burst that's 480MB RAM ... costing US$500? and as John has pointed out, unless you shoot like a machine gun, it's useless.

cut the "Mother knows best" attitude.

Mama's gonna check out all your girlfriends for you.

Mama wont let anyone dirty get through.

Mama's gonna wait up until you get in.

Mama will always find out where you've been.

Mama's gonna keep baby healthy and cleen, adjusted, etc.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I can't believe Nikon has the nerve to charge $500 to "fix" a problem that never should have been there in the first place! :mad: :mad:

I'm going to launch a class-action lawsuit!!

The D3 never should have been brought to market like this. Nikon is run by a bunch of money-grubbing criminals!

And so on...;)

Guest guy_mancuso

Frankly be it you need it or not the fact remains Nikon is able to update there camera to do it for those that may want it. That alone is impressive. I said it before and will say it again ,Nikon is out to kick some arch and this is just another plus in there book. They are building product that people are asking for. You simply have to give them credit for listening to there users.

Nikon and Kodak both did memory updates in the past. Kodak also had a sensor update.

For balance:

Nikon's Dx upgrades were desirable extras. i.e. Not essential.

Kodak's NX upgrades for sensor and power board were pretty much mandatory to fix a flawed product.

However, I do applaud both of them for providing such an option vs dead-ending product.

As much as some needed the new scratch resist lcd glass or quieter shutter, so does those that use a d3 for their buffer increase. Nice move from Leica and nice move from Nikon too. To me, the consumer it shows that BOTH companies care for their customers and they offer them upgrades, while trying to keep up with technology. Of course they run business so they do this for a profit as well. Also nothing wrong there.

And as for Leica announcing its upgrade programme 6months earlier, I wish to remind that Apple announced the iphone1 6months earlier as well....

I just want to get this straight - last week we were beating up on Leica because they were NOT forthcoming with information well ahead of time before product was ready (R10) but now we're praising Nikon for coming out with information only once the product is ready to go (more or less)?

Me think Leica users speak with forked tongue!

BTW - slick move by Nikon - hats off.

I wish to remind that Apple announced the iphone1 6months earlier as well....

Apple had to announce the iphone 6 months earlier because they needed FCC approval and once they file the application they couldn't keep the secret anymore.

Me think Leica users speak with forked tongue!.

In all fairness, the "R10" is a long overdue significant product. And the M8 upgrade and Nikon memory upgrade are trivial, unnecessary changes ... I for one, do not care about at all. All Nikon does is letting you waste more money and bumping the obsolete D3 to the headline again.

Here's a genuine question, as opposed to a disguised argument: wouldn't you develop quite a bit of vibration if you pulled the trigger on 40 shots? I mean, a lot of people demand mirror lockup with delay to quiet any vibration...or is there something going on that I don't know about (or maybe sports shooting is rough enough that the mags don't care?)

JC

In all fairness, the "R10" is a long overdue significant product. And the M8 upgrade and Nikon memory upgrade are trivial, unnecessary changes ... I for one, do not care about at all. All Nikon does is letting you waste more money and bumping the obsolete D3 to the headline again.

Quite so IMO. You want a waiting game, you bring some real news to play with.

We don't know what the cost or lead-time is but at face value, Nikon are offering an upgrade with immediate availability. That contrasts with the Leica upgrade program which was announced at least 6 months before it will be available.

I do wish Leica would stop it. Stop announcing product or services before availability and cut the "Mother knows best" attitude.

No accouncement or annoucement, we just can't handle it :)

I think Leica should just start offering A la carte M8 with various options including upgrades of existing M8 as planned. They know how to do this. Memory, processor, sensor both physical and MP sizes, with lever or without, saphire glass or not, even decorative options like white dials on black body etc. I am sure Leica loyal will have no complaint, except we all want to pay little less.

-tanka

How can it be obsolete, It has only just come out

Just come out? ... nah, it's almost a year old.

Also, based on what I heard from Nikon, their cameras automatically become obsolete by the time they hit streets because newer models will be in the works. :p