8 bits versus 16 bits

t024484

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Because unless I rip my own CD's, I often don't always havemuch of a choice.

MP3 sounds like crap compared to the real thing.

;-)

Which is? The CD? :D that, in turn, sounds like crap compared to the real thing - vinyl.

So, let's all walk around with a power pack to power a turntable and a couple of speakers, not to mention a sound-designed room, because as we all know it all start from designing the space you will listen your music into.

And so on... :D

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Which is? The CD? :D that, in turn, sounds like crap compared to the real thing - vinyl.

Which in turn sounds like crap compared to the real thing - live musicians.

Anyone got the number for the Berlin Phil? It'll be a bit of a tight squeeze, but I'm sure I could fit them in the house for an hour or two.

Anyone got the number for the Berlin Phil? It'll be a bit of a tight squeeze, but I'm sure I could fit them in the house for an hour or two.

:D :D Indeed :D :D I can put you in touch with The Berlin Phil, but - I assume they eat a lot, they would want to sleep in the closest 5 star hotel, you gotta fly them in, and they aren't exactly cheap for an hour or two gig...

Back to MP3, then? As always, truth is in between...

:D :D Indeed :D :D I can put you in touch with The Berlin Phil, but - I assume they eat a lot, they would want to sleep in the closest 5 star hotel, you gotta fly them in, and they aren't exactly cheap for an hour or two gig...

Back to MP3, then? As always, truth is in between...

I looked at your site.

If your pictures are Vinyl, mine are MP3.

And I agree, nothing comes closer to the real thing as Vinyl.

Hans

In my view, there is a huge difference between live music and recorded music. The differences between the different ways of recording music – vinyl, CD, MP3 etc. – are fairly minor by comparison.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In my view, there is a huge difference between live music and recorded music. The differences between the different ways of recording music – vinyl, CD, MP3 etc. – are fairly minor by comparison.

I agree, though it's worth to consider a recording the same way as a piece of art.

An Ansel Adams might be "lesser" than seeing the nature itself, but then again it's just something completely different and more comparable to a painting than an "accurate" capture of nature that will newer be what it tries to be.

The people that don't consider photos and recordings a piece of art that needs to resemble themselves probably makes lesser results. Although believing in numbers, calculations and repeatable results might actually be some peoples honest way of doing it.

Shall we continue at the Concertgebouw or the Abbey Road Studios, folks? S/N ratio on the forum is too low IMO. LOL

Concertgebouw for me please. Very exciting new season For instance Bernard Haitink is conducting Mahler with the Chicago Symphony - that will be a memorable eveing!

I looked at your site.

If your pictures are Vinyl, mine are MP3.

And I agree, nothing comes closer to the real thing as Vinyl.

Hans

Hans, thank you very much for your kind work - I am glad you enjoyed my work :D

Concertgebouw for me please. Very exciting new season For instance Bernard Haitink is conducting Mahler with the Chicago Symphony - that will be a memorable eveing!

Hey Jaap, which Mahler will it be? I have Mahler 1 to 4 with Chicago & Abbado and the brass sound spectacular there! (btw, brasses aside, one of the best Mahler 1 IMHO).

Very true!

Very true!

The same could be said for photographing.

"Nothing comes close to he real thing, there are only minor differences between a Hasselblad and a Canon Ixus by comparison."

One can create music and pictures for the shear purpose of giving great satisfation, over and again, the same kind of satisfaction we can get by listening to or looking at the real thing.

So I fully agree with ammitsboel, these are different worlds which can all bring us great pleasure in their complete different ways.

That is the reason why it does not stop us from looking forward to each and every small step forward towards perfection.

Hans

Not new, but since a lot thread space went into researching compression curves using squares, it may help a bit.

As I recall, Michael's article on the topic in LFI pointed out that the M8 takes a pixel value (from 0 to 2^14), multiplies it by four, takes the square root and stores the integer.

Deciphering implies squaring the stored value, dividing by four and taking the integer.

Thus, the 16384 values of a 14-bit system are stored as 256 values, with greater delineation among the lower ones than among the upper ones.