Lightroom 2.0

thwalker

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My above post started me thinking, just how to you share profiles if you first have to load them in the profile editor and then export them?

Maybe all you need to do is change the name of the supplied profiles?

I didn't bring any of them to work to load in the LR 2 demo I installed on my work PC to check....

I just downloaded and installed the Adobe DNG Profile Editor yesterday, so I am just sort of feeling my way around the thing now. The documentation that seems to be available is a little on the sketchy side which does not help. For instance, there is absolutely nothing in the Help menu. There are some Tutorials on the Adobe website, however.

Nonetheless, it seems there are two different sorts of specific settings for customization: "Profiles" and "Recipes". I am not real clear on what the differences are. The software offers three different Profiles as has been discussed in this thread and then the user can create his or her own Recipe. The Recipes can easily named, copied, shared, and imported but I don't know if the same is true for Profiles. For instance, I can see how one 'exports' a Profile ([Ctrl]E) but I don't see how one 'imports' or opens a Profile so created.

The Profiles seem to recognize the originating camera (M8 in my case) when a DNG file is opened, presumably by reading the metadata of the file. Beyond that, I have no idea if the Profile Editor is applying any adjustments that are specific to the M8 but I doubt it.

It seems Adobe Labs has rushed this out the door post-beta. Maybe better documentation will follow.

In any event, this is an interesting development and one that perhaps deserves a separate dedicated sub-Forum under the Digital Forum and equivalent to the Leica M8 Forum. After all, this is not just related to the M8.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actually I just install the beta profiles and the editor and the converter on my work PC. The only way I can seem to get any other profile loaded in LR 2 CC is to open that profile in the PE and then save it using the exact same name as the original.

Copying these profiles to the same directory they arre saved in does absolutely nothing, IE they don't show in LR 2 CC.

The real funny/BAD part is I see no way in LR 2 to import/open/load any profile. The only option is to open a profile in the editor and then save it for it to show up in the CC. I haven't fooled with recipe saving and or copying to another PC.

It seems to be a work in progress.

Actually I just install the beta profiles and the editor and the converter on my work PC. The only way I can seem to get any other profile loaded in LR 2 CC is to open that profile in the PE and then save it using the exact same name as the original.

Copying these profiles to the same directory they arre saved in does absolutely nothing, IE they don't show in LR 2 CC.

The real funny/BAD part is I see no way in LR 2 to import/open/load any profile. The only option is to open a profile in the editor and then save it for it to show up in the CC. I haven't fooled with recipe saving and or copying to another PC.

It seems to be a work in progress.

This is both an update to my earlier post above and an answer to yours.

You CAN create your own-named Profile when exporting a Profile from the DNG Profile Editor. Then, when you open a DNG file in the Camera Raw processor of Bridge (I don't have LR but I assume it is the same) you can get to that Profile by going to the Camera Calibration drop-down menu and find the new Profile under the Camera Profile name in addition to the default Profiles.

I still don't get "Recipes" however. They seem to be be just adjustments in the DNG Profile Editor that maybe build to a Profile that you can export. Just guessing....

Basically, yes. From the Develop module go to Camera Calibration and select a Profile. "ACR 4.4" and "Adobe Beta 1" will be present for all cameras. Other profile options will be presented depending on the camera. (I get several standard beta profiles for my Canon 1 images.)

You can use the DNG Profile Editor to create custom profiles which can them be used in LR and, I believe, in ACR. (I've not yet tried the latter.)

I have a different problem. My copy of Lightroom 2 has no Camera Calibration in the Develop Module. The list of items goes down as far as Vignettes and stops. Have I been short-changed? Or is there something obvious (or not so obvious) that I need to do to activate it?

I have a different problem. My copy of Lightroom 2 has no Camera Calibration in the Develop Module. The list of items goes down as far as Vignettes and stops. Have I been short-changed? Or is there something obvious (or not so obvious) that I need to do to activate it?

I don't think it is in the Develop Module but rather in the Camera Raw/Camera Calibration drop-down, as I said in my post above.

Furthermore, I see that there are "dcp" files for the M8 (3 different ones for the M8, actually) in the Adobe Standard beta 1 folder which I think got created when I ran the Adobe "cameraprofiles_b1_win_072808.exe" download. I infer that the DNG Profile Editor recognizes that the DNG file that I open was shot on an M8 (by reading the metadata) and and provides the M8 standard profile.

I don't know if that standard profile is "good"; time will tell.

This is both an update to my earlier post above and an answer to yours.

You CAN create your own-named Profile when exporting a Profile from the DNG Profile Editor. Then, when you open a DNG file in the Camera Raw processor of Bridge (I don't have LR but I assume it is the same) you can get to that Profile by going to the Camera Calibration drop-down menu and find the new Profile under the Camera Profile name in addition to the default Profiles.

I still don't get "Recipes" however. They seem to be be just adjustments in the DNG Profile Editor that maybe build to a Profile that you can export. Just guessing....

Yes I know that but my post above yours, and the one you quoted, was about not being able to IMPORT profiles directly into either LR 2 or ACR/Bridge/PS.

You have to put them into the profile editor and then export them before you can see them in either ACR/LR 2.

Which to me isn't the way it should be. You should be able to copy the profiles, any profiles you may buy or are given, to any directory you wish and then hit a button or select a menu item to import those profiles. Bypassing the editor program.

The editing program should only be for editing and not for importing those profiles into ACR/LR 2.

IMHO Adobe has some work to do on this.

Thank you for that response, but my problem is specifically about Lightroom 2, not Camera Raw. There should be a Camera Calibration panel in the Develop Module. There isn't in mine.

It is collasped by default. Hit the little arrow to expand it.

Before:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

After:

Try right clicking (or CTRL-click) the section at the bottom, with the Victorian scroll nonsense

This may well appear...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

There is no Camera Calibration panel and therefore no little arrow.

Either you've got a very strange error, or you haven't scrolled down the menu.

Do you see the curled grey drawing graphic's below the last menu point in the right menu? if you don't then scroll down.

There is no Camera Calibration panel and therefore no little arrow.

Sure you're in the Developement Module?

Right click on one of the headings, Like basic or tone curve and see if there is a check mark next to Camera Calibration. If not click on it.

Other then that.

Reinstall the program.