Lightroom 2.0

thwalker

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Do you need to install the new Camera Raw Update before installing LR and these profiles?

Maybe that's the problem.

I'll have another look when I get home this evening.

I installed the ACR update to PS CS3 then the demo for LR 2, I have the hard copy coming and will use the KEY/Serial from that when it arrives, then the profiles.

Working for me.

I also downloaded the editor and DNG converter. These files are executables and made a shortcut on my desktop and the Adobe folder to them. Not sure what you have to do on a Mac.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Carl, you had me worried for a minute. I print with 2 "old" Epson 9600 and use Lr 2.0 in 64bit mode. I just did a quick test and there is not problem with printing.

Best regards

Volker

Volker,

Are you sure that you are running LR 2.0 in 64 bit mode (you need to un-check the 32 bit box in the info window on a Mac to get into 64 bit mode)? According to what Schewe has stated the 9600 should not be able to print with 64 bit enabled.

I have been using version 1.4 to develop DNGs from both an M8 and a DMR, but It may be a while before I will be in a position to order the update to version 2.0.

Does version 2.0 offer profiles for the DMR as well as the M8?

You can create and save your own profiles for any camera you wish by using the Profile editor.

The ones supply by adobe at this time are aimed at the most popular camera makes and models, like Nikon and Canon.

You start off by loading a DNG into the profile editor and make whatever changes to it you like then save it. You can then use that profile for all your DMR images or use it as a template to re-edit it for specific lighting and subjects. Again you can then save that re-edited profile under a different name and reuse it any time you want.

I am still unable to get it to recognise profiles for ANYTHING...

Just downloading the profiles update thing again (although I doubt very much whether the DMR gets a look in)

The ACR 4.5 update does NOT have the Profiles included. That is a separate download and then you need to install them.

Links have been posted in this thread for both the Adobe profiles and the Profile Editor. The profile editor is a separate program as is the DNG converter.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Shootist: yes, I know all that, but thanks!

I have now downloaded and installed

Lightroom 2

ACR 4.5

The DNG beta profiles

The DNG Editor

And I have run the Adobe Updater and installed some extension toolkit thing it offered me

I have rebooted the Mac (which shouldn't be necessary) and I have repaired permissions.

I have deleted the Lightroom Prefs.

Nada

If I had a week to spare, I'd trawl through the Adobe help system, but we all know how bad that is...

BUT, I have just sussed it.

THE DMR files only allow for an "Embedded" profile. So, I can confirm that the DMR files do not support the use of profiles in Lightroom 2....

Clicking on a D-Lux 3 file, and I get a choice of three

Sorry for wasting everyone's time. Have fun using "Profiles" :o

I have left the beta pretty much alone, but what would be handy would be if people were willing to share their tweaks and profiles that they create (on the assumption that they act like PS plug-ins), for the benefit of "the community"

Just an altruistic thought...

I second this suggestion. As I understand what Adobe has posted, the "Adobe Standard beta 1" is just a baseline for setting the values of Red, Green, and Blue Primaries (with Hue and Saturation subsets) and Shadows (Tint only) with all values preset at zero, or the midpoint of the slider ranges. So, it seems to me what you have here is just a starting point from which to depart and come up with a profile that is appropriate for the camera in mind.

Whilst this undoubtedly involves a great deal of subjectivity, perhaps a consensus Leica M8 profile can be developed. I personally am uncomfortable in deviating too much from this nuetral standard (I see no glaring distortions in my files that I feel need correcting) but perhaps some more technically minded users might have better ideas about a specific M8 profile.

If so, those findings can be easily shared amonst us by posting numeric values for the seven variables for the rest of us to evaluate. This could be useful.

Does anybody like the new colors in the new "adobe stansars profile"?

Do they only match firmware 1.201?

With my M8 DNG files I have 3 option. ACR 3.3 (which was the version of ACR that originally supported the M8), ACR 4.4 (Which is a newer version of the profile I think supporting the newer M8 firmwares) and the newest Adobe Standard B1.

I see very little difference between the 3.3 and the 4.4 profiles but there is a difference. I see a big difference between either 3.3 or 4.4 and AS B1. Personally I don't care for the AS B1 profile so when I have the time I'll take one of my better DNG files and see if I can build a better profile.

I haven't fooled with my Nikon D200 RAW files in a while but it seem Adobe has included specific profiles for the D200.

Volker,

Are you sure that you are running LR 2.0 in 64 bit mode (you need to un-check the 32 bit box in the info window on a Mac to get into 64 bit mode)? According to what Schewe has stated the 9600 should not be able to print with 64 bit enabled.

Hi Carl,

My testing was not comprehensive enough, it worked with standard sheet paper, but the rest of the driver is not available. Sorry about that. I will now try to switch back to 32bit mode and see if it works then.Version 2 would be useless for me if I could not print - I live on it!

At the moment I switched back to 1.4

Best regards

Volker

Hi Carl,

My testing was not comprehensive enough, it worked with standard sheet paper, but the rest of the driver is not available. Sorry about that. I will now try to switch back to 32bit mode and see if it works then.Version 2 would be useless for me if I could not print - I live on it!

At the moment I switched back to 1.4

Best regards

Volker

Hi Carl,

I switched back to 32 bit mode and everything is back to normal. Thanks for your hint!

A pity that I can't use 64 bit mode and I don't think that Epson will ever write a driver for the 9600, but better than not using Version 2.

Best regards

Volker

What's still puzzling to me is the following. If you look at the folder that contains the Adobe beta 1 profiles (library/applicationsupport/Adobe/cameraraw/cameraprofiles/adobe standard beta1), you'll see three profiles for the M8. Yet when you apply the profiles in the calibration tab of LR 2.0, you only get the choice of adobe standard beta 1. Perhaps this represents some kind of averaging of the three profiles listed?

It seems that you need to open the supplied profiles in the profile editor, under base profile and then choose "Choose External Profile then navigate to where they where installed to (on my system, WinXP Pro, that is C:\Docs & Settings\all users\Appication Data\Adobe\Camera Raw\CameraProfiles\Adobe Standard Beta 1) select one of the profiles and then Export it giving it a name other then what it is currently name (although you can just add to the original name).

It then gets placed in C:\Docs & Settings\Your User Name\App Data\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles.

Then you can see it in the drop down in both ACR standard and LR 2 Camera Calibration.

I even tried copying the base files to that folder but they don't show in the Camera Calibration drop down. You first need to load them in the Profile editor and export them.

Could be when exporting a profile it places something in the Windows registry for it to show up in the Camera Calibration drop down.

My above post started me thinking, just how to you share profiles if you first have to load them in the profile editor and then export them?

Maybe all you need to do is change the name of the supplied profiles?

I didn't bring any of them to work to load in the LR 2 demo I installed on my work PC to check.

If someone has 2 computers and can do what I've discribed above and then copy those profile to the correct directory on a second PC and see if they show up.

Dear Shootist: Any idea how the three profiles differ? Seems likely that one is with UV/IR and one without, but the third?

No! I really can't see a difference but 2 of the "4" (there are actually 4 of them) are of different file size.