Lightroom 2.0

thwalker

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes I know that but my post above yours, and the one you quoted, was about not being able to IMPORT profiles directly into either LR 2 or ACR/Bridge/PS.

You have to put them into the profile editor and then export them before you can see them in either ACR/LR 2.

Which to me isn't the way it should be. You should be able to copy the profiles, any profiles you may buy or are given, to any directory you wish and then hit a button or select a menu item to import those profiles. Bypassing the editor program.

The editing program should only be for editing and not for importing those profiles into ACR/LR 2.

IMHO Adobe has some work to do on this.

Well, we're all learning on this topic so there will be moments of miscommunications.

However, the way I see it, you CAN IMPORT custom Profiles directly into the RAW ACR in CS3, if the Profile was based on the Adobe standard beta for the respecitve camera type of the DNG file. This is done in the Camera Callibration drop-down menu by selecting the Camera Pofile name. In my case (a Windows user), the new custom profile is stored (by default) in c:\documents_and_settings\user\application_data\adobe\cameraraw\cameraprofiles. When I open the Camera Callibration/Camera Profile Name, I can see in the dropdown list all the custom Profiles I have created. Presumably, if someone sent me a new Profile and I stored it in that location, I would see that new one, too. However, I see no capacity to designate a folder location other than the default location as above or the ability to search for a custom Profile.

In other words, I think Adobe has provided for what you want, but it is not at all explained by Adobe. The download may be free but perhaps we need to pay for Help and documentation.

I've just done some testing. Made some profiles on my home system, copied them to a thumb drive and brought them to work. Copied those profiles to my work PC in the proper directory and then opened LR2. These new copied profiles show up. I did this with both Leica DNG and Nikon NEF files, and profiles for those 2 Raw formats.

It seems that no profile will show in the camera calibration until they are exported by the profile editor and marked, somehow, as being for each specific camera. Once that is done then they can be distributed to anyone or any PC and show in the camera calibration.

So what you need to do is open the supplied camera profiles in the editor program, make NO changes, Export them with the same file name, if you choose to, then you can see them in the camera calibration in either LR 2 or PS/Bridge ACR.

How do you do that? The supplied profiles are .dcp files and the profile editor, as far as I can tell, will only recognize and open DNG files.

Once you open a DNG image, either from a camera that supports and writes DNG files or a Raw format file from a Nikon/Canon/whatever make camera and ran through the DNG converter, you go to the Profile drop down box and select "Choose External Profile" then browse to the folders that hold the supplied profiles. or you can choose from the list presented to you.

It also seems Adobe was kind enough to register most all the Canon and Nikon supplied beta profiles so if you open a Nikon NEF in LR 2 or ACR the list of profiles available is quit long. But they never registered the ones included for the Leica M8.

In fact you can open any of the supplied beta profile for any camera to use with any DNG converted from any camera RAW file. So you can see how a Nikon or Canon or Fuji or whatever profile looks like when applied to a Leica M8, or any other make/model, camera Raw file.

I've got this all pretty much dialed in now. I made several Colorchecker profiles, tweaked them and exported them with the Profile Editor, so they are in with the supplied profiles and available in the dropdown menu.

Bottom line: I can only see negligible differences and would say the color I get now is about the same as what I was getting before doing the upgrade. That was a lot of time and effort for a very small payoff. Maybe when the profiles are out of beta...

Bottom line: I can only see negligible differences and would say the color I get now is about the same as what I was getting before doing the upgrade. That was a lot of time and effort for a very small payoff. Maybe when the profiles are out of beta...

I agree. But I think the point is to be able to create different profiles to get different effects/colors if so desired and to be able to load those effects/color changes on the fly with one selection. And of course to tweak a profile to better suit a type of image, IE landscape, portrait, whatever.

True color is in the eye.

I would like to try out your profile, if that's OK. So I will PM you with my email address.

None of this works on D-Lux 3 RAW files, btw. All we get is the basic 3 profiles, and no option to select an external one.

Well no you don't get the option to select a external profile within LR. You have to load the image into the Profile Editor program and then choose "Choose External Profile" in the drop down box. And if you have installed the beta profile you will get a list of them. You also may need to browse to the folder the beta profiles got installed to.

If you don't know where they are use the search feature of you computer to search for *.dcp files.

Once you load a profile into the editor program you then need to Export it, whether or not you made any changes to it for these profiles to work with Leica camera files.

As I said in a previous post it looks like Adobe did not register any of the supplied beta Leica profiles but they have registered the beta Nikon and Canon profiles. (What I mean by registering them is to tell LR/ACR that these profiles go with image files from camera X. Loading them into the editor program and exporting them does register them so they do show up in the camera profile list in LR 2 & ACR 4.5. Not sure if they have done it for any other cameras like Fuji or even the P&S Nikon and Canon cameras that can record RAW image data. I'll check with my G9)

Interestingly, it works for RAW scans from my Nikon scanner too... that could be useful for getting round the bloody Reala problem :)

Now, what do you do with the file that the recipe creates? Do you stick them back where the .dcp files were/are?

Ahhh... not only do you have to save the recipe, you have to export the thing as well - and that puts it where it should be.

Interestingly, it works for RAW scans from my Nikon scanner too... that could be useful for getting round the bloody Reala problem :)

Now, what do you do with the file that the recipe creates? Do you stick them back where the .dcp files were/are?

Ahhh... not only do you have to save the recipe, you have to export the thing as well - and that puts it where it should be.

Actually you don't have to save the recipe. Just export and when closing the profile editor it comes up with a box, Save Recipe, Don't Save, Cancel. Select don't save. Unless yo want to save it as a recipe. But then you can always load that profile and make changes to it. I guess if you save the recipe and then reopen it all the changes made the first go round would be shown. If you open a real profile, a .DCP file as opposed to a .DCPR, everything is at zero as the starting point for that profile.

I agree. But I think the point is to be able to create different profiles to get different effects/colors if so desired and to be able to load those effects/color changes on the fly with one selection. And of course to tweak a profile to better suit a type of image, IE landscape, portrait, whatever.

True color is in the eye.

I would like to try out your profile, if that's OK. So I will PM you with my email address.

Ideally, then, I guess it would be best to use those specific kinds of DNG files (landscape, portraits with different lighting, etc.) as base images to tweak and then export to the list of other profiles. Maybe that's why I haven't noticed any real differences--I've just been shooting the Colorchecker under different lighting conditions and making adjustments to get them to look right. This makes me wonder, though, what the result would be if I used a landscape shot at dusk as my base for a profile and tweaked it to get it looking warm and saturated, then applied that profile to a landscape shot in the morning. Is the thinking here that the profiles would only be applied to files that are similar in content and lighting to the DNG used for the base profile?