How to remove red dot?

colorflow

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I really don't see why some have the need to cover the red dot. What real good does it do?

I have the impression the red dot is drawing focus - people will react differently if they recognize a camera is present. This is my personal reason to cover it.

I used electrician's tape on a black M8. I found that when I removed it a year later the black chrome had been indelibly marked where it had been in contact with the adhesive. I tried using solvents to remove the mark, to no avail.

Bob.

Can I suggest to try white petrol/gasoline for cleaning purposes? This normally takes care of the adhesive from tapes.

Just to make sure to be cautious - I'm not sure how cameras react to larger amounts of solvents....

The red dot is also referred to as the "steal me" dot.

Only by paranoid owners. Most people, thieves included, have no idea what a Leica camera is or how much it cost and what it can be sold for as stollen item.

To most any thief it is just another camera and is no more likely to be stollen then any P&S, whether the red dot is showing or hidden, and probably less then a Nikon or Canon DSLR.

Guest jimmy pro
Only by paranoid owners. Most people, thieves included, have no idea what a Leica camera is or how much it cost and what it can be sold for as stollen item.

To most any thief it is just another camera and is no more likely to be stollen then any P&S, whether the red dot is showing or hidden, and probably less then a Nikon or Canon DSLR.

Wait...didn't I read somewhere that thieves tend to target the elderly?

:D just kidding...I'm not a spring chicken myself.

• 1 year later...

I want to replace my red dot with a black one. Got the dot from Don @ DAG Camera Repair. Had some difficulty getting the red dot off, finally was able to do it after applying a few seconds of hot air from a hair dryer on the red dot, then rotating the dot back and forth and finally it snapped the adhesive.

Now for the next problem. As I began to install the black dot, I peeled off the backing on the adhesive, and as I tried to position the dot, it went on crooked. Anyone got a suggestion on how to get it off without destroying so I can reinstall it so it's straight?

Thanks.

• Like 1

Wiggle with your thumb, then get two toothpicks, apply them to the Leica lettering and wiggle until it slides off.

Thanks Jaap. I just found two solid wooden matchsticks, put on up against the Leica type pushing clockwise, and the other matchstick opposite it pushing counterclockwise. I pushed and it moved easily--I went about 30 degrees beyond the correct position, and watched the adhesive pull it back into perfect position. Looks good.

I seem to recall there is a also pewter/silver dot - does anyone know where those can be purchased?

As I recall it you remove the red dot, brush the red color off with some acetone, and put the (now silver) dot back on. I would like to do that myself but am too much of a coward...;)

• 5 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm a black dot man (Q, SF-40 flash) and just operated on my kinda new M7. DAG black dots.

It was all a bit yoda actually, 'Patience you must have, chopsticks you must use, gentle you must be'

Sweet! 

Now for the enamel.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Rapierwitman
  • Like 1