How to remove red dot?

colorflow

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My rangefinder vertical alignment is a little off. Would like to remove the red dot to adjust. Appears you can't do that without destroying it. I searched the forum and it was suggested to use a toothpick and work at it for 10 to 15 min, But the dot is recessed and I can't get the toothpick to do anything...

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Alan

My rangefinder vertical alignment is a little off. Would like to remove the red dot to adjust. Appears you can't do that without destroying it. I searched the forum and it was suggested to use a toothpick and work at it for 10 to 15 min, But the dot is recessed and I can't get the toothpick to do anything...

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Alan

Use a tooth pick or wooden match or plastic probe on the letters of the dot to move, rotate, the dot clockwise and then counterclockwise repeatedly until it make almost a full turn, either way, and then just keep going and the dot will pop off.

Have some double sided tape to put it back on.

BUT doing the adjustment your self isn't that easy. Especially without the correct tool.

The tool look like a round shaft with a off centered pin protruding from it. That pin goes in a hole and the shaft moves the adjustment arm up or down. It is a very fine adjustment, IE a little movement of the arm moves the vertical alignment a lot.

Use a tooth pick or wooden match or plastic probe on the letters of the dot to move, rotate, the dot clockwise and then counterclockwise repeatedly until it make almost a full turn, either way, and then just keep going and the dot will pop off.

Have some double sided tape to put it back on.

BUT doing the adjustment your self isn't that easy. Especially without the correct tool.

The tool look like a round shaft with a off centered pin protruding from it. That pin goes in a hole and the shaft moves the adjustment arm up or down. It is a very fine adjustment, IE a little movement of the arm moves the vertical alignment a lot.

Thanks. I don't have the right adjustment tool, but have quite a few micro-tools. I'll give that a try.

Alan

I replaced the red dots on a pair of M6s with black dots.

My technique was pretty crude...I plopped down on the sofa, turned on the TV, and pressed down on the dot with my thumb. Then I twisted back and forth, eventually "worrying" the things off.

(The TV was to keep me entertained...No cathode rays were harmed in the removal of those dots!) :eek:

I tried to get a black dot for my M8 from Leica UK; no joy:

"Dear Mr Kelly, thank you for your e-mail regarding a black Leica logo for your M8. I’m sorry but these were only produced for a limited special production camera and are not available as a spare part"

DAG lists them but is out of stock - mighty expensive when you consider shipping from the US to Europe though......

TK

I've always wondered why people recommend gaffer's tape for going incognito as, like Stefan says, electrician's tape blends in so much better.

1. Less gooey.

2. I always have a short roll with me anyway.

3. It's SO "photo". :cool:

I used electrician's tape on a black M8. I found that when I removed it a year later the black chrome had been indelibly marked where it had been in contact with the adhesive. I tried using solvents to remove the mark, to no avail.

Bob.

I really don't see why some have the need to cover the red dot. What real good does it do?

Most people I encounter have no idea the camera is a Leica and don't even know anything about Leica or ever heard the name. Those few that can pick it out thing it is a film camera.

Guest jimmy pro

I bet you like going to the amusement park and popping little kid's ballons to don't you? :D Seriously man, keep makeing rational statements like that around here and you'll end up a parriah like me.

• Like 1

I really don't see why some have the need to cover the red dot. What real good does it do?

Most people I encounter have no idea the camera is a Leica and don't even know anything about Leica or ever heard the name. Those few that can pick it out thing it is a film camera.

I agree it is meaningless to 99% of non photographers.

Jeff

Guest jimmy pro
"Oh, a Leica? That's one of those Russian cameras, isn't it"

(Asked of me only a week ago)

Next time say "No, that would be a Balaleica." :D