Ten lost images

rdubois

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cards do fail though, and there are a lot of counterfeit cards there. People also can do all kinds of things to the format of a card as well.

So one reason people always say "well, check the card" is because if your M8 works for 6 months writing to them it's very, very unlikely--even with the preciousness of some of the M8 firmware--to just start dropping shots. It's also the right thing to do in a diagnosis chain: it's the simplest thing to check and the simplest, most straigtforward cause.

All cameras can be more or less tweaky writing to cards as well. As has been mentioned, the M8 (and the DMR for that matter) seem to require a lot of power to write a sequence of shots, especially RAW+JPG. If the current fails, well, the M8 doesn't seem to degrade as gracefully as a Canon, though in truth I've never lost a shot on my M8 due to the camera's inability to write to a card (I have had two bad SD cards though, out of 20 or something, in 2+ years of using them).

And there was a time, lest people forget, for almost a year after its release, when my Canon 1ds2--and all 1ds2s--scrambled frames randomly on write :)

That went over well (not!), and I'm happy Canon fixed it, but please let's not pretend that Canon and Nikon, even in their flagship pro models, are immune to electronic or mechanical issues from time to time.

Cards do fail though, and there are a lot of counterfeit cards there. People also can do all kinds of things to the format of a card as well.

So one reason people always say "well, check the card" is because if your M8 works for 6 months writing to them it's very, very unlikely--even with the preciousness of some of the M8 firmware--to just start dropping shots. It's also the right thing to do in a diagnosis chain: it's the simplest thing to check and the simplest, most straigtforward cause.

All cameras can be more or less tweaky writing to cards as well. As has been mentioned, the M8 (and the DMR for that matter) seem to require a lot of power to write a sequence of shots, especially RAW+JPG. If the current fails, well, the M8 doesn't seem to degrade as gracefully as a Canon, though in truth I've never lost a shot on my M8 due to the camera's inability to write to a card (I have had two bad SD cards though, out of 20 or something, in 2+ years of using them).

And there was a time, lest people forget, for almost a year after its release, when my Canon 1ds2--and all 1ds2s--scrambled frames randomly on write :)

That went over well (not!), and I'm happy Canon fixed it, but please let's not pretend that Canon and Nikon, even in their flagship pro models, are immune to electronic or mechanical issues from time to time.

Here here Jamie!

Battery and card management are in (my experience) somewhat more important with the M8. I have not lost a single image and I use 4gig OZ 150x cards, I tested this brand early on in the M8 and found them to work nicely for me. They are hardly main stream. So far so good.

I stress in my experience and I think that things will vary user to user so this is not gospel but total opinion. Just as a matter of workflow I only format in-camera - never use erase all, I rarely use batteries that show less than three bars and I keep them conditioned and a result I have a total of 6 official Leica batteries and just got two third party batteries that I will check-out. In Canada the Leica batteries run about 129$ +tax and are hard to get in Vancouver.

Shooting consecutive or C mode has given me the odd bit of trouble so I have reverted back to the film M approach shoot wind film shoot wind film - in other words I keep the M8 in single shot mode - and if I need high speed sequence shots I have other choices. That said and in fairness I think you can shoot C mode successfully if you watch battery levels, etc.

Best to all. Terry

Guest jimmy pro

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yeah, the M8 is very outdated, you're right...:eek: :eek: :eek:

I know how some people around here seem to get there rocks off takeing whatever I say and twisting it around to make it look like I was trying to dis the M8, but just for the record, I never implied that the M8 was outdated. In fact I think I've prolly said this a few times before, that with the M8's buffer, burst rate, and expecially the battery capacity, a high-speed card and/or more than 2GB is really overkill. The only reason I mentioned that the D40X takes SDHC is to point out that here's a el cheapo entrylevel DSLR that works fine with pretty much any SD card, including one's that the M8 rejects. It's not a matter of outdated, the M8 has always had an allergical reaction to a lot of SD cards. Yet some people insist on putting the blame on the cards, not the M8.

...some people insist on putting the blame on the cards, not the M8.

Just like you appear to insist on putting the blame on the M8...

You'll probaly deny this, that's fine. Like a said, it's just an observation. ;)

Anyway, I don't use the M8 as a machine gun. Don't need to, and maybe you're right that some el cheapo C's and N's are better equipped for that purpose. I wouldn't know, I don't use them. :)

Like others on this forum I've experienced lock-ups while shooting in continuous mode. It happened to me twice in 18 months. I can live with that. Like Terry, I think it has to do with battery levels. I always format in the M8.

I always use my M8's in Continuous mode. This is not to take multiple shots, machine-gun style, but to get better performance from the M8.

In continuous mode, the M8 takes single shots faster.

This was mentioned in a thread some months ago. I've been following the practice since.

Guest jimmy pro
Just like you appear to insist on putting the blame on the M8...

You'll probaly deny this, that's fine. Like a said, it's just an observation. ;)

I don't deny it at all that I insist on putting the blame on the M8...because it's the M8's fault. I'm sure once in a while someone gets a bad card, there out there. But if the same card works fine in another SD camera, then it ain't the f'ing card, and that's all there is to it. If me and my crew all eat the same thing at dinner, and I'm the only one puking my guts out all night, then it wasn't the food, it's something about me...a virus, a allergy, something. And TTBOMK the M8 is the only camera I know of where the manufacturer puts out a short list of cards that are known to work in it. I dunno what it is about the M8 that makes it overly sensitive to SD cards, but it is.

Anyway, I don't use the M8 as a machine gun. Don't need to, and maybe you're right that some el cheapo C's and N's are better equipped for that purpose. I wouldn't know, I don't use them. :)

And once again you try to put words in my mouth that I never said or even implied.

Guest stnami

Cards I am happy to use any that are around, I use them from on camera to another, never format, download images from the net, place word documents, PDF etc,........ then put them in a camera shoot a few frames, download onto the computer forget to empty, shoot again.................. never had one fail.

I just treat them as an external HD and look after them .............. then again I use whatever film I can get especially when there is no choice

Dunno about any other's but the Nikon D40X takes SD cards. SDHC to, unlike the M8.

And it just so happens that you have EXACTLY these 2 models: one ultra pro 1DSIII and one ultra consumer DS40???!!! And it took you a whole day to find this out?

What is it? you buy cameras that only have SDs?

Sounds at least suspicious don't you think?

In any case, what are trying to prove?

Guest jimmy pro
I don't meen to put words in your mouth, but: You have a crew? I'm sure they all love working for such a knowledgeable pro.

I'm going to stop this now.

Good, because the more you post the worse fool your makeing out of yourself. "Crew" is a slang expression for "group of pals". And, Jimmy Pro is an old school knickname, my last name is Provenzano. Mentioned that before a number of times.

Guest jimmy pro
And it just so happens that you have EXACTLY these 2 models: one ultra pro 1DSIII and one ultra consumer DS40???!!! And it took you a whole day to find this out?

What is it? you buy cameras that only have SDs?

Sounds at least suspicious don't you think?

In any case, what are trying to prove?

Well if I was trying to prove that some people around here have more interest in flame-baiting me then discussing the M8, then your helping me prove it pretty good. Unfortunately for you, the rest of the folks here are pretty sharp, and they can just scroll back and see that I said I was talking about other guys I know who have tried SD cards in there Canon's and Nikon's that worked fine but had not worked in the M8. I never, ever said I owned a IDSIII and a D40X (what the f*** is a "DS40" as you stated, anyway?). As to the rest of your post, about takeing a "whole day" to find out (find out what?) or that I "buy cameras that only have SD's" I'd sure like you to link to where your getting that bulls**** from, cause it sure ain't from anything I ever wrote.

Good, because the more you post the worse fool your makeing out of yourself. "Crew" is a slang expression for "group of pals". And, Jimmy Pro is an old school knickname, my last name is Provenzano. Mentioned that before a number of times.

No need to get rude!

I can not, and will let myself be called a fool because I don't speak your slang. This is the INTERNATIONAL forum. I expect forum members to use plain english. How am I supposed to know you're using slang?

This forum is about photography, lots of photographers work with crews.

I used smileys when I replied to you in this thread so that you and others could understand I was being ironic.

As for your name, the fact that you mentioned this before does not automatically imply that other forum members should have read this, or even remembered.

I'm really sorry I got into this. I've seen your replies in other threads. You are obviously quite good at being negative and insulting others. I should have known better.

Good day to you sir.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

And TTBOMK the M8 is the only camera I know of where the manufacturer puts out a short list of cards that are known to work in it. I dunno what it is about the M8 that makes it overly sensitive to SD cards, but it is.

Jimmy, not to be argumentative here, being curious I checked the Nikon D3 and D700 manuals and both have listed tested cards for these cameras. As Nikon put's it others have not been tested - the message being you are on your own when it comes to ignoring the tested cards. In the case of these 2 specific Nikons they list two manufactures - Sandisk and Lexar in varying speeds and sizes. This is not a defense of the M8, but then as you incorrectly suggested - it is not unusual for OEMs to test cards and recommend them as tested. I think if you check your Canon manuals closely - you will find something similar.

Best Regards. Terry.

Guest jimmy pro

Well I did say "TTBOMK". Unlike a lot of people on this forum, if I'm not certain of something I'll put a disclaimer like that. I haven't read a Nikon manual lately. I don't recall such a list in any of my Canon manuals, but I'll take another look. It still doesn't change the fact that if a card works in other cameras but not the M8, it's gotta be something in the M8 that makes it more sensitive to lots of cards, just like it's more sensitive to IR. So maybe being picky about cards is a feature :D

Well if I was trying to prove that some people around here have more interest in flame-baiting me then discussing the M8, then your helping me prove it pretty good. Unfortunately for you, the rest of the folks here are pretty sharp, and they can just scroll back and see that I said I was talking about other guys I know who have tried SD cards in there Canon's and Nikon's that worked fine but had not worked in the M8. I never, ever said I owned a IDSIII and a D40X (what the f*** is a "DS40" as you stated, anyway?). As to the rest of your post, about takeing a "whole day" to find out (find out what?) or that I "buy cameras that only have SD's" I'd sure like you to link to where your getting that bulls**** from, cause it sure ain't from anything I ever wrote.

Jim,

Open your mind.

Even if your friends have friends who their friends tried "some" SD cards in "there" Nikons and Canons, and even if in general you must be more specific when you make your accusation, even then, don't expect me (and I bet more) to give any credit to a friend who knew a friend who his cousin married his son and there were SD cards which worked in Nikon but not in m8. im sure you understand that there is little credibility to this. And I know someone who's nikon broke. So?