Ten lost images

rdubois

Advertisement (gone after registration)

sorry jimmypro, but your so wrong it hurts.

I do card recovery service as part of my job.

Nikon, Canon, Leica...statistically they are all about the same, it is usually a card error.

Sometime we've had bad batches of cards (lately Ext III 4Gb CF), but Sandisk and Lexar are about equal in their reliabilty.

But of course you'll have a comeback to this...from one of your N o C shooting crew, I'm sure.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nikon, Canon, Leica...statistically they are all about the same, it is usually a card error.

Sometime we've had bad batches of cards (lately Ext III 4Gb CF), but Sandisk and Lexar are about equal in their reliabilty.

But of course you'll have a comeback to this...from one of your N o C shooting crew, I'm sure.

The need for file recovery may be a different situation than the subject we are addressing. People can mess up the data on their cards in various ways such as by interupting the writing in the camera or a card reader. So in these cases it may be user error or a card issue that is unrelated to a specific camera.

I prefer to shy away from the mudslinging and suppositions. However I am interested in objective analysis.

I think what it comes down to is: Do you have to take special provisions for shooting with an M8 that you don't have to take with other cameras in order to minimize the risk of losing data?

There have been quite a few posts on this forum that indicate that some are taking these precutions. Whether they are effective or necessary I can't say. But it seems to me that one could set up some objective tests and see if anything repeatable is going on. And it also is possible that the situation is only applicable to some of the cameras. (As Jamie said there is also the variable of firmware.)

Also, I don't quite understand why you shouldn't be able to use an SD card in several different models of cameras without reformatting.

I just did an experiment with CF cards. I shot some jpegs with my Konica/Minolta A2 and then moved the card into my 5D and original 1Ds. And I shot with each of them. All of the files were viewable in all of the cameras in the same DCIM folder. (No reformatting or creating new folders but the Canon images show up very small on the A2.) I then shot some photos on a freshly formatted card with the 5D and placed that card in the A2. When I shot with the A2 it created a new folder. For review I could choose either the A2's folder or the 5D's folder and review the respective images except the 5D images were very small and couldn't be magnified.

I then took the "MicroCenter no name SD card" out of my HP IPAQ PDA and put it in my Canon P&S. It shot photos fine without needing re-formatting. I then put the card back into the PDA, saw that the Canon P&S had created a new DCIM folder with the images in it. The PDA displayed them.

So a specific qestion for Jimmypro and his crew is: When you took a card that wouldn't work in the M8 and placed it into the Canon or Nikon, was it able to immediately shoot and write to that card or did it need re-formatting in order to work? I am assuming that this was a card that previously was working in the M8 and is considered compatible.

A followup question is: If the card needed re-formatting to work in the Nikon and Canon, was it then usable in the Leica? Could the card be re-formatted in the Leica and be used again in that camera?

Guest stnami

paranoia is what you guys suffer from!! ....... as I stated I use my cards for other processes and It is not unusual to have a word file on the card when I download after taking a few more images .............. maybe you guys don't know how to use stuff properly and are better at abusing the stuff

Guest jimmy pro

I'm sorry whether I'm right or wrong hurts you. You being wrong, doesn't even make me blink.

Well I'm sure the folks who can't figure out how to run a recovery utility are greatful for your expertise.

Clearly (to everyone but you I suppose) I never disagreed with what you wrote. But also, it's completeley irrelevent to the issue here. Sure there are bad card. I said that before, lots of times. But a card is either shot or it's not. If it works in a Canon or Nikon or Whatchamacallit, but not in an M8, then the root problem is with the camera. That's a fact that anybody with a brain wouldn't dispute.