Bob Ross

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest stnami

bullocks ........ Mick's favourite cow ...........

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Guest stnami

ahum......

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thus far samples from this new camera do not bode well at all...

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 preview with image samples - infoSync World

:eek:

They look disappointing indeed. I heard the guy put screen protector in front of the lens:D .

The good news is that Panasonic seems to listen. 24mm and f2.0 sounds promising.

But why not including a 4/3 sensor and full manual controls in an otherwise interesting concept? IQ wise, this one will be no match for the DP1.

The Nikon P6000 appears to have 13.5 mp stuffed into an even smaller 1/1.7 sensor than the LX-3 with a lens that starts at f2.7. I don't see the laws of physics being broken any time soon. Whatever happened to their supposed digital rangefinder or was the P6000 really what all the rumors were about?

I don't see the laws of physics being broken any time soon.

...or the mega-pixel race ending. As long as buyers convince themselves that the more MP the better and reviewers mark cameras down with lower resolutions, we'll continue to get the same results as these dismal samples.

Any manufacture knows the value of its leader lines, theres no point dropping something you already have out of the lineup if it is sucessful. There is also no point not upgrading to currently available hardware, and bringing in your advances in software.

Doubt these are substantial improvement over the previous version but it is just up to date. No biggie.

Marketplace expectations getting caught up in the hype is pretty funny though. If you already have an LX1, or 2 there is probably no point in ... "upgrading" Any improvement is only going to be incrememntal. If you dont have an LX and the camera type fits the bill it probably works fine. The examples posted are probably half arsed and it would surprise me if it is actually a dodgy camera.

• 2 weeks later...

My 12 year old Daughter has a V-Lux 1 and my 11 year old son absconded with my dLux 3 in Italy this year. Both Cameras have been great within their limitations. I expect no less from this camera.

Some praise here for Panasonic's approach to scene modes. I believe Panasonic uses more or less the same system on the LX-3 as as the FX35.

Business Week does a simple but harmless comparison of the idiot proof modes on the FX35 with the Sony DSC-W170 and Nikon S600.

The reviewer concludes most of these modes just get in the way and some even make the pictures worse - something I have personal experience of with the Canon G9.

Next: Cameras That Wash Your Car

"Panasonic's Lumix DMC-FX35 fared well in my less-than-scientific test. Just a smidge trimmer than the Sony, it has a 25mm Leica lens and a 2.5-inch LCD display. The mode menu's 22 selections are wonderfully simple: a candelabra to indicate shooting a candlelit scene, a palm tree by an ocean for beach shots, and an island with clouds floating by for pictures taken from airplanes. There's also an Intelligent Auto mode that figures out the optimal settings for each shot, while gyro-sensors correct for a shaking hand."

Regards,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

the LX-3 (D-lux 4 ?) external viewfinder capability looks nice, but ...

i have 28mm and 35mm viewfinders, but the LX-3 doesn't look capable of setting EXACTLY 28mm or 35mm with the zoom knob .... also, it probably doesn't keep that setting after the camera shuts down ...... so you probably have to twiddle with it every time you start up the camera.

to me that basically deletes the capability for an external finder (unless it's at the startup focal length).

also, i wonder if you can turn the screen off while the camera is still on and use just the external finder and lens fixed at 35mm say.

Yes, this looks very good. No Mp race, fast WA zoom. Nice new LCD, and hotshoe and possible external finder.

I sold my LX2 but this looks much better.

The advertised 24-60mm lens has either nothing to do with the camera specs or nothing with something you would call wideangle. No mp race, but still the same old nonsense.

I've seen better samples now and the quality is not bad at all. Might get an LX3 some time.

I wonder why people want an external finder btw. Can't think of any use for it on such a camera.

@stnami:

I can't believe someone makes the effort of preparing a pic illustrating the image circle and then doesn't bother with spelling "sensitive" correctly. Ouch. ;P