Lumix LX-3 is here

Bob Ross

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, hopefully it is the D-Lux4 but I have to say this time I think I would save my money and just by the Panasonic version.

The hotshoe is a great addition and I wonder if those bounce flash guns shown in the accesory section might also work with the M8? Now, that would be cool.

LouisB

All of which is why I am seldom the first on my block with a new toy. The specs sound great and the addition of a hot shoe and a removable viewfinder is intriguing. As a traditional photographer approaching age 70, I really am having a hard time getting used to holding the camera out away from my eye.

I'm new to the forum; joined because I just bought my first Leica in decades, a minty D-Lux 2. I used to have M2s and M3s, but I succumbed first to autofocus and then to Contax and then to digital capture. I had heard about the noise problems with the D-Lux 2 and its Panasonic near-twin, but I downloaded profiles for the Panasonic version to my Noise Ninja 2. It really takes care of the noise (including ISO 400). The primary reason I bought the D-Lux 2 was the 16:9 aspect ratio, and as soon as I get photos worth posting, I will do so. I like everything I've seen thus far about this Leica user forum.

Why don't they ever increase the size of the ccd like sigma dp1.

the photos i got from my lx2 looks like crap in %100 size.

actually i think they did, well marginally anyways

and Mp is less

"The LX2's sensor was widely considered a weak link in an otherwise strong chain, with poorly controlled noise and compressed dynamic range limiting the previous-generation camera's appeal with those serious about image quality. From all indications, Panasonic went back to the drawing board for the LX3, returning with a completely redesigned 10.1 megapixel, 1/1.63-inch CCD."

19246.jpg

actually i think they did, well marginally anyways

and Mp is less

"The LX2's sensor was widely considered a weak link in an otherwise strong chain, with poorly controlled noise and compressed dynamic range limiting the previous-generation camera's appeal with those serious about image quality. From all indications, Panasonic went back to the drawing board for the LX3, returning with a completely redesigned 10.1 megapixel, 1/1.63-inch CCD."

This I cannot figure out. Panasonic says:

"While the LX2 also featured a large CCD – its 1/1.65" CCD was just slightly smaller than the LX3's 1/1.63" unit"

That's just a 0.02 difference! :confused:

Thus far samples from this new camera do not bode well at all...

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 preview with image samples - infoSync World

:eek:

Wow! Those are indeed crap, not so much for the smeary detail (which I suspect would be the same on a lot of P&S at 100) but for the flat colours. There is, after all, a "Summicron" fronting this beast. A bit weird that Panasonic would let someone blast away with a product if, for example, it does not have the final versions of firmware etc in it. If this is the finished produt I'd want to see a full DPreview work up with samples before contemplating a purchase.

LouisB

The LX-2 had 10.4 total pixels and 10.2 effective pixels

The LX-3 has 11.3 total pixels and 10.3 effective pixels

What does this rather large (1mp) disparity between total and effective pixels mean?

The LX-2 in 16:9 had a resolution of 4224 x 2376

The LX-3 in 16:9 has a resolution of 3968 x 2232

The LX-2 in 3:2 had a resolution of 3568 x 2376

The LX-3 in 3:2 has a resolution of 3776 x 2520

The LX-2 in 4:3 had a resolution of 3168 x 2376

The LX-3 in 4:3 has a resolution of 3648x 2736

So the LX-2 had higher resolution in 16:9 but lower in 3:2 and 4:3 which suggests they are no longer using the 16:9 sensor which I guess is obvious given the lack of a widescreen display. It seems they have gone back to the typical 4:3 sensor used in most compact P&S cameras. Not to be confused with the 4/3 format which is much larger but also a 4:3 ratio

Don't forget, it's only a $500 camera and the fact that not all Summicrons are created equal ;)

We need some positive thinking here, folks ... at least there has never been a Summicron this cheap. Have you even heard of a Vario-Summicron? it's a broken record. LOL

That first sample shot is terrible, but to really see what that camera is (or isn't) capable of, we need to check out its raw output developed with a good converter and noise reduced in a specialized tool like Neat Image.

And at print and display size? 100% is interesting, but we don't look at photographs with a magnifying glass.

I agree but sometimes we need to crop them.

i think that's a good camera with 2f and 24-60mm range but the still the sensor needs to get bigger for both pixel quality and shallower depth of field.