M8 and Noctilux As Seen In LFI

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Noctilux is a much misunderstood lens. And it's about all BUT silly boke. Boke and Noctilux shouldn't be in the same sentence. It's about capturing moments otherwise impossible or it's about its unique signature. But it is not about Boke alone. For that, there is the 90mm f2.

Funny thing is, you know the connaisseurs by who owns the lens. It's people that don't own it that usually talk bad about it. I can smell the non-owners by their first sentence in a post. :)

The Noctilux is a jewel and a true image maker like no other.

I guess I have been lucky? Focus of my Noctilux on my M8 has been spot on, never been 6-bit'd or to Solms. I often shoot at minimum focusing distance (rock back and forth) and no problems. Of course, the full effect and magic of the lens is what happens outside of the crop-sensor of the M8, so I actually prefer the look on film.

Mark

...Funny thing is, you know the connaisseurs by who owns the lens. It's people that don't own it that usually talk bad about it. I can smell the non-owners by their first sentence in a post. :) ...

Is that so:D , as one who owned a new Noctilux, I found life was not all about f:/1.0, from f:/2.0 to f:/5.6 the focus shift was such that it was unreliable for use. I already had a Summicron and from about f:/2.8 the summicron and Nocti were quite similar and I didn't want to have to keep both lenses. So I sold both and replaced them with the 50 Summilux Asph. A much more usable lens either wide open or stopped down IMO.

For the dreamy nocti look I now use the 85 Summarex or 90 summicron which IMO works quite well but will never be f:/1.0. :)

Is that so:D , as one who owned a new Noctilux, I found life was not all about f:/1.0, from f:/2.0 to f:/5.6 the focus shift was such that it was unreliable for use. I already had a Summicron and from about f:/2.8 the summicron and Nocti were quite similar and I didn't want to have to keep both lenses. So I sold both and replaced them with the 50 Summilux Asph. A much more usable lens either wide open or stopped down IMO.

For the dreamy nocti look I now use the 85 Summarex or 90 summicron which IMO works quite well but will never be f:/1.0. :)

It sounds like a miscalibrated camera or lens. There is no "dreamy Nocti look". a "dreamy look" you will get from a miscalibrated noctilux or from a 5cm summarit. Not from a Noctilux.

Here is a snap with the Noctilux. A regular snap such as I would with a P&S. In this instance: Focus, snap, done. No crop, no PP.

What you see here is a Noctilux image with perfect focus, excellent contrast wide open, no dreamy look (I wish this wrong term would stop to accompany the Noctilux), minimum focusing distance. A good sample, on a well calibrated camera will never be criticized. The critics come from bad samples or from peole with bad shots.

Web-L1000671.jpg

Again, I don't care who likes and who dislikes the lens. But a good Noctilux is something Spectacular.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It sounds like a miscalibrated camera or lens

The Noctilux is noted for it's focus shift when you stop down. After f4 or so depth of field compensates, before that it's a known issue. Not so obvious on film Ms though.

I had a chance to use an ASPH 50mm Summilux today. My _personal_ opinion is that wide open it wipes the floor with the Noctilux. Other's opinions may as they say vary.

Boke and Noctilux shouldn't be in the same sentence.

Hmmmmmm....... ;)

BTW is is boke or bokeh? Google hit rate says 'bokeh' but that is not quite in the same league as Wikipedia or the Encylopedia Britannica.

The Noctilux is a much misunderstood lens. And it's about all BUT silly boke. Boke and Noctilux shouldn't be in the same sentence. It's about capturing moments otherwise impossible or it's about its unique signature. But it is not about Boke alone. For that, there is the 90mm f2.

Funny thing is, you know the connaisseurs by who owns the lens. It's people that don't own it that usually talk bad about it. I can smell the non-owners by their first sentence in a post. :)

The Noctilux is a jewel and a true image maker like no other.

I totally agree and chased one for almost two years, before finding mine at a very affordable price…

I would never part from it.

But it's a lens that deserves and reclaims some work.

That's very interesting, how does it look?

Full frame at f1.4, no sharpening...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

It sounds like a miscalibrated camera or lens. There is no "dreamy Nocti look". a "dreamy look" you will get from a miscalibrated noctilux or from a 5cm summarit. Not from a Noctilux.

Here is a snap with the Noctilux. A regular snap such as I would with a P&S. In this instance: Focus, snap, done. No crop, no PP.

What you see here is a Noctilux image with perfect focus, excellent contrast wide open, no dreamy look (I wish this wrong term would stop to accompany the Noctilux), minimum focusing distance. A good sample, on a well calibrated camera will never be criticized. The critics come from bad samples or from peole with bad shots.

Web-L1000671.jpg

Again, I don't care who likes and who dislikes the lens. But a good Noctilux is something Spectacular.

Nothing wrong with the calibration, after all it was calibrated to my body twice by Leica who maintain it was working within spec :confused: . With regard to the dreamy look, what I refer to not the point of focus but the out of focus. I call it dreamy sorry for using the wrong term, what would you call it?.

I have no problem with the look, again I state I sold it because between 2.8 and 5.6 there was focus shift, I didn't buy the lens to only use it at f:/1.0, I bought it to use at all apertures which I couldn't. Happy you have one that works.

Hmmmmmm....... ;)

BTW is is boke or bokeh? Google hit rate says 'bokeh' but that is not quite in the same league as Wikipedia or the Encylopedia Britannica.

I think it's a silly word and I try to avoid as much as possible to write it bokeH. I prefer bokHe, to be honest. Or even Boke. From now on, I'll call it Blurreh. There!

50 Summilux Asph and the new arrival !. No post just re-size for web;)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

50 Summilux Asph and the new arrival !. No post just re-size for web;)

And? what's your verdict Versus the noctilux? I don't see much differences between both images. Do you (well, except the feeding bottle)?

Eoin will probably be better qualified to answer, but I suspect the differences will be: Lux better @ overall shapness; Noct better when light levels are low because you will always get a higher useable shutterspeed because of the extra stop difference. Lux much lighter and smaller. Noct does have a 'look' (not just bokeh) which is also different in colour. Differences could almost compared to using different developers with film. A personal choice.