Should Leica Abandon The M8?

barjohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

leica should shift all efforts from the m8 into 1/ a small notebook that still performs well once the sweat from my shirt has soaked through. 2/ a pen that some how manages to appear at that moment somebody starts spelling their name. 3/ a pair of "leica" branded shoes that somehow recognize that i have been on my feet for 15 hours and provide an extra level of comfort through some techno jiggery pokery i can't quite explain (and a color coded roll of tape to cover the label) 4/ a small, rehydrateable lunch that doesn't contain bread, french fries or mayonaisse.

these things and the m8 and i'm all good. i know you can do it leica!

Any newsagent. Small spiralbounds that have plastic instead of card covers.

Pen, Columbia shirts, that have enough space next to notebook.

Asolo. I like them better than Scarpas since they buggered their padding layout beneath the gortex liner. Like anything they have to fit. Spend a lot of money on lots of socks. Huge difference. I mean if you are spending three or four hundred on your boots...you arent gong wear a pair of uncomfortable socks.

Leppins. If you cant batch your own carbohydrate. Just a get out of gaol and to get you to meal time. And...um...and bicarb/asprin...but you arent that frazzed are you?

An MP to tie you over till the M9?

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I too am not perfect, (just don't tell my family I admitted it!)

Erl,

Secrets like that are very costly to keep quiet. I'll contact my local Leica dealer first thing in the morning and let them know you'll be ordering me a M8 and a 35 Lux.

Ryan, be warned, the M8 is an imperfect camera. I advise you to re-think your strategy ...... please!:eek:

I think you and others have misunderstood me concerning the purchase of the M8.

It was based on the fact to the other person, had I been smart like him I would have gone out and bought the M8 at it's introduction, but being dumb I didn't, so I left my money in the bank.

I have no interest in getting the M8, as my dear wife and I have enough ornaments in our house.

If you're happy with your images, good for you after all you certainly spent enough money on the M8 to warrant it.

Cheers.

Hamey, you are right, as am I. I did what I chose and won. You did what you chose and have no (more) ornaments. Great! We are both happy.:D

The only thing I am tempted to suggest to you is that the M8 is NOT an ornament, .............. unless you don't use it. I can still re:o commend it as a wonderful tool if it suits your particular style of photography.

I think you and others have misunderstood me concerning the purchase of the M8.

It was based on the fact to the other person, had I been smart like him I would have gone out and bought the M8 at it's introduction, but being dumb I didn't, so I left my money in the bank

I understood you perfectly well.

Criticism is good, this tells Leica that not all it's loyal customers are happy with

their products.

I am positive that the next Leica M digital will be much much better and I certainly look forward to it.

Perhaps some of the money I have put away will go to TOWARDS IT, however I will first

look at the R10 or what ever...?

If I offended Leica M8 owners I apologise wholeheartedly.

Ken.

Back to comparing M8 with G9

G9 is a great machine, user friendly, controlable, reasonable in price, and small enough to be carried in extreme conditions without fearing to damage the "Rolls-Royce" .... But you can hardly shoot by instinct, with the fastest autofocus in the world which is just to set lens on hyperfocal, and cannot peep on the lens to get instant feeling of depth of field .... close enough to fatal flaw (for me ) !

Gilles.

Criticism is good, this tells Leica that not all it's loyal customers are happy with

their products.

I am positive that the next Leica M digital will be much much better and I certainly look forward to it.

Perhaps some of the money I have put away will go to TOWARDS IT, however I will first

look at the R10 or what ever...?

If I offended Leica M8 owners I apologise wholeheartedly.

Ken.

I haven't been following this thread closely, but just on your quote comments I am wondering if you have made what I would call a "basic" needs assessment to 1st of all decide do you want DSLR or DRF? I am sure you know the difference and realize that choosing one or 't other is usually governed by MO. So, if you know what and how you like to shoot it would not really be M9 or R10. They would not do the same job as each other.

And I don't think you have offended any M8 users. :D

Many of you seem to have forgotten the primary reason so many of us pros love the Leica:

Having used that familiar body for years (in my case 62 years !) I always maintained that it is the feeling that its part of your hands, your eys, that made it special. I have used many other cameras, but in all of them I had to think: "which button, which finger".

Only the Leica RF became a part of me, with all actions done as if by instinct.

Hi Erl.

I love working with both the M and R.

The Leica R for flexiabilty, speed and convenience.

And the M for low light.

Most likely it will be a DSLR, as I have several R-Lenses 28, two 50mm,90,100,180, plus

28-90 and 80-200 and the original 35-70mm on which I don't use anymore.

With the M system I only have the M7 and the 35mm f/2 asph.

If Leica produces DSLR-R and it'a affordable then all is well, if not I will look for an alternative probably Canon as I will be able to use some of my R-lenses.

If an M9 is released, then it's ???? on how angry Leica can make me.

Cheers.

Ken.

Many of you seem to have forgotten the primary reason so many of us pros love the Leica:

Having used that familiar body for years (in my case 62 years !) I always maintained that it is the feeling that its part of your hands, your eys, that made it special. I have used many other cameras, but in all of them I had to think: "which button, which finger".

Only the Leica RF became a part of me, with all actions done as if by instinct.

Not just pros - after 40 years the M seems to have become an extension of my eye.

Not just pros - after 40 years the M seems to have become an extension of my eye.

There is a whole world of difference when you look through a dSLRs eyepiece and Leica's viewfinder. One can describe it as open eyes, versus one eyed looking through a 1" pipe. Particularly if you manage to hold the camera as was intended by Leica and have both eyes open, a difficult very difficult approach, but once you master it its indeed the m8 an extension of your eyes. I suspect, thats what you mean jaap? I haven't master that technique yet

This sounds not funny (IMHO).

The O.T. was serious indeed, sorry but I can't see the point in this reply.:confused:

I am sorry I offended you. That was not my purpose. I was just trying to make the point that if people want Leica to do the impossible, this is a start. Please forgive me.

• 1 year later...