Should Leica Abandon The M8?

barjohn

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is right,Steve - the M4-2; and I confess I am one of those that refused to buy the R8 - albeit after seeing it.. Now I own an R9 - slagged as being just a pimped R8....

Let's not forget the sacrilegious M7 - auto exposure - horrors! And viewfinder flare, and dusty viewfinders, etc. etc.

To paraphrase Swiss Toni...

"Owning a Leica is like making love to a beautiful woman - deeply satisfying but you just know there is a price to pay."

Regards,

Bill

Guest stnami

The D3 is lemon just as the Leyland P76 was ..................... most guys are using olys with the leica lenses especially the 25mm which gets a heap of praise from that mob

Yes the M4-2 was the worst M before the M8 indeed. But at least it did not wear a red nose and its shutter noise was not like...

avion.gifrednose1.gif

Just kidding folks. The simple fact that you like it proves that the M8 is not so bad a camera after all. (M4-2 owner here). ;) ;)

Just kidding folks. The simple fact that you like it proves that the M8 is not so bad a camera after all. (M4-2 owner here). ;) ;)

Yes- it willprobably be accorded legendary status once the mythical M9 arrives...

One thing is for certain, if Leica solve the IR problem at a sensor level there will be people complaining that they can no longer take IR photographs.

Some people are never content. It makes you wonder how they approach other aspects of their lives. Do they go around permanently angry, I wonder?

Regards,

Bill

:rolleyes: Well, nonsense never hurts. The D3, and the M8, according to the latest financial reports, are the main moneymakers for Leica.....I might also add, "c'st le ton qui fait la musique" ...

Let's educate you then

R3 generally despised at introduction

R4 electronic problems

M5 broken by customer strike

M6 electronic problems

To name but a few...

1 ...Once owned the R3..some of the knuckle heads were not happy about the country of origin, the R3 is a Wonderful Camera, still think the Leitz Copel shutter was silky smooth.

2.... also owned the R4, had an electronic problem, it was fixed back in 1981, then become an excellant camera, never had any further problems.

3. Did not own the R6 because I already had the SL.

4...Did not bother with the M system untill the M7.

.....M5 broken by customer strike perhaps it wasn't romantic enough.

I still own two R7's an R8 and the R9, plus the M7, the SL is retired.

They have not given me any trouble with batteries, Mechancal or Electronic failures,

As for the FINANCIAL REPORTS concerning the Leica D3 and the M8.

from what I am hearing mister it's not that good.

I am glad I am not well educated like you, otherwise I would have purchased the M8

For nearly 8000$ Aus a few months back, but being dumb as I am, decided to leave it in the bank earning interest, now I can pick up a M8 for 4500.

Or perhaps next year I might be able to get it more cheaper?

Lol.

This matter is closed.

1I am glad I am not well educated like you, otherwise I would have purchased the M8

For nearly 8000$ Aus a few months back, but being dumb as I am, decided to leave it in the bank earning interest, now I can pick up a M8 for 4500

That's great. Hope you enjoy the camera. I'm sure you will, the images from it are exceptional. Certainly better than my Canon 5D. There's a great body of people here who have used the camera successfully for 18 months or more. If you have any questions feel free to fire away.

1 ...Once owned the R3..some of the knuckle heads were not happy about the country of origin, the R3 is a Wonderful Camera, still think the Leitz Copel shutter was silky smooth.

2.... also owned the R4, had an electronic problem, it was fixed back in 1981, then become an excellant camera, never had any further problems.

3. Did not own the R6 because I already had the SL.

4...Did not bother with the M system untill the M7.

.....M5 broken by customer strike perhaps it wasn't romantic enough.

I still own two R7's an R8 and the R9, plus the M7, the SL is retired.

They have not given me any trouble with batteries, Mechancal or Electronic failures,

As for the FINANCIAL REPORTS concerning the Leica D3 and the M8.

from what I am hearing mister it's not that good.

I am glad I am not well educated like you, otherwise I would have purchased the M8

For nearly 8000$ Aus a few months back, but being dumb as I am, decided to leave it in the bank earning interest, now I can pick up a M8 for 4500.

Or perhaps next year I might be able to get it more cheaper?

Lol.

This matter is closed.

Funny post- from the first to the last it proves that the "slagging" of cameras, as you so quaintly call it, is, in retrospect, wholly unjustified.

Hamey, I'm glad you are happy with your interest earned on your "M8 bank deposit" over the last 18 months or so. I spent my money on the M8 (& then a 2nd one!) and 'earned' uncounted thousands of images with the camera(s) that I could not have bought for the money. Intriguingly, other people have bought the images that more than paid for the cameras. Now, I have my money back and still have the cameras!!:D

I should add that had I not got my money back, I still would be greatly satisfied, despite imperfections in the camera. I too am not perfect, (just don't tell my family I admitted it!).;)

Guest stnami
Should Leica Abandon The M8?
.......if it is working on a M9 (as most of you wish) then it probably has abandoned the M8 save a minor upgrade here and there

leica should shift all efforts from the m8 into 1/ a small notebook that still performs well once the sweat from my shirt has soaked through. 2/ a pen that some how manages to appear at that moment somebody starts spelling their name. 3/ a pair of "leica" branded shoes that somehow recognize that i have been on my feet for 15 hours and provide an extra level of comfort through some techno jiggery pokery i can't quite explain (and a color coded roll of tape to cover the label) 4/ a small, rehydrateable lunch that doesn't contain bread, french fries or mayonaisse.

these things and the m8 and i'm all good. i know you can do it leica!

Hamey, I'm glad you are happy with your interest earned on your "M8 bank deposit" over the last 18 months or so. I spent my money on the M8 (& then a 2nd one!) and 'earned' uncounted thousands of images with the camera(s) that I could not have bought for the money. Intriguingly, other people have bought the images that more than paid for the cameras. Now, I have my money back and still have the cameras!!:D

I should add that had I not got my money back, I still would be greatly satisfied, despite imperfections in the camera. I too am not perfect, (just don't tell my family I admitted it!).;)

I think you and others have misunderstood me concerning the purchase of the M8.

It was based on the fact to the other person, had I been smart like him I would have gone out and bought the M8 at it's introduction, but being dumb I didn't, so I left my money in the bank.

I have no interest in getting the M8, as my dear wife and I have enough ornaments in our house.

If you're happy with your images, good for you after all you certainly spent enough money on the M8 to warrant it.

Cheers.