Should Leica Abandon The M8?

barjohn

Guest Ridder Cornelius

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Get down to basics ...

Leica isn't going anywhere, they will always not be able to adapt to the latest greatest, there are, and will be better systems especially in this digital age, other compnies will advance fast (Nikon d3 etc)

Leica will always be a very far runner up .... however with a client base like you guys they don't need to worry all that much yet.... up until the point that current day leica users get involved into serious quality photography, and I mean covering the whole range from out of camera images to high IsO shots...

Just look at yourselves, images of mountain views, portraits and city views which are and have been photographed 1 million times before ... noting new going on here, just boring old stuff by a couple of boring old people.

Get a grip, although your outfit is very expensive and you have a lot of it doesn't mean its the best thing since sliced bread.

But Leica will survive, barely because of the die hard leica followers whom will buy sausage rolls at 3.450$ a piece just because it as the red spot on it.

And what bother me most is the blabla compared to the actual images produced here .... any one with a 120$ PAS could shoot these. as for the professionals under the followers surely they can produce nice images because they are professionals, not because they are leica users.

As you might of gathered I have developed a dislike of he manner in which these forums are occupied, I have used aM8 and it was nice, now I use a D§ which is better, not only marginally, but really a lot better in every sense or taste, come up with arguments as much you like there is no reasoning that M( is top notch at this moment in time and probably never will be, its a camera for the would be Ferari drivers, the "self positioning" modern day photographer without a clue of what photography can do for you, its not shit product, its not a good product either... so why not try and adapt to that instead of arguing your balls off how good the M8 really is .... for its not!

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow Ridder. Can you be more angry?

The Nikon isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread nor is a Leica, Canon, Hasselblad, Linhof, etc...... An M8 is a rangefinder and that is the main difference, all this we know already. Do these threads get 'off topic?' You betcha, is everyone a great photographer? No. Does a photographer have to be great, average, or less to have an opinion? No.

Any one who talks down to others on any topic is already lower than where they perceive themselves to be. An old wise man said once, "do you always let inanimate objects control your life?" (Or your happiness?) Whatever camera makes a person happy is a personal choice. Period.

No, Leica should not abandon the M8.

When I first saw this thread, I thought - not another troll.

I confess to not reading every post, but I will direct my comments to the OP and Ridder above anyway.

The M8 is the only currently produced Rangefinder camera. There are a tremendous number of photographers, both Pro and Hobbiest, who enjoy the experience of a rangefinder. If you can afford one, and have the lenses, or the budget for them, it can be a tremendous amount of fun to use a simple, lightweight camera that takes technically great images. The images outshine ANY P&S - if for no other reason sensor size and lens resolution.

I own, or have owned Every DSLR since the launch day of the Nikon D100. When I say every one I mean it. I have 50 DVD's dedicated to teaching people how to use the extremely complicated DSLR's. Menu items on the latest and greatest number over 100 now. I am a professional photographer, and a professional Video Camera operator, and the pros want and use simplicity more than anything else.

In the photography world, the M8 is just about as easy to use as a toaster is to bread. There is a pleasing feeling when I use this camera over just about every other camera I have.

Currently in my lock up are cameras including the Nikon D3, D300 and the Canon 1Ds Mart III. They are excellent for the tasks I use them for in both wildlife and studio photography. My M8, however is with me everyday - Everyday. It allows me to capture moments where the other cameras, and their huge lenses - would not be welcome.

No, Leica should not drop the M8, and they won't.

It sure would be nice if guys like you two would surely abandon this forum though

DBK

Get down to basics ...

Leica isn't going anywhere, they will always not be able to adapt to the latest greatest, there are, and will be better systems especially in this digital age, other compnies will advance fast (Nikon d3 etc)

Leica will always be a very far runner up .... however with a client base like you guys they don't need to worry all that much yet.... up until the point that current day leica users get involved into serious quality photography, and I mean covering the whole range from out of camera images to high IsO shots...

Just look at yourselves, images of mountain views, portraits and city views which are and have been photographed 1 million times before ... noting new going on here, just boring old stuff by a couple of boring old people.

Get a grip, although your outfit is very expensive and you have a lot of it doesn't mean its the best thing since sliced bread.

But Leica will survive, barely because of the die hard leica followers whom will buy sausage rolls at 3.450$ a piece just because it as the red spot on it.

And what bother me most is the blabla compared to the actual images produced here .... any one with a 120$ PAS could shoot these. as for the professionals under the followers surely they can produce nice images because they are professionals, not because they are leica users.

As you might of gathered I have developed a dislike of he manner in which these forums are occupied, I have used aM8 and it was nice, now I use a D§ which is better, not only marginally, but really a lot better in every sense or taste, come up with arguments as much you like there is no reasoning that M( is top notch at this moment in time and probably never will be, its a camera for the would be Ferari drivers, the "self positioning" modern day photographer without a clue of what photography can do for you, its not shit product, its not a good product either... so why not try and adapt to that instead of arguing your balls off how good the M8 really is .... for its not!

bla... bla...bla...

Let's show your stunning pictures and take a valium Sir.

couple of boring old people

Apart from Jaap's question which makes sense (in fact what are WE doing here I wonder?) I would like to object to the above as I am not old and not boring. Admittedly older than I was previously and probably less entertaining. Also there are more than a couple of us.

Anyways what mr. Cornelius does not seems to appreciate is that it is fun to work with a Leica even if the pictures are crap. Making a passable pic with a SLR is easy, with a Leica it requires a bit more insight so in the cases that it works as intended you feel more satisfied with the result. In addition if it works it works brilliantly. After some time the 'hit rate' goes up which is fun as well.

The mountains etc. remain the same I'm afraid but such is life that we can not all be brilliant photographers & actually come up with something original.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

And what bother me most is the blabla compared to the actual images produced here .... any one with a 120$ PAS could shoot these. as for the professionals under the followers surely they can produce nice images because they are professionals, not because they are leica users!

My you sound bitter. My response to this tirade is "so what?". That's always been the case. If I buy a brush, that doesn't make me a painter. If I buy a camera, that doesn't make me a photographer. All it shows is that I have enough money, and the desire, to make the purchase. You could say exactly the same thing about every make of camera, Canon and Nikon, and not just Leica.

The people here have a full range of abilities when it comes to taking photographs, what else would you expect? that people have to take an exam before they are allowed to buy a camera?

Anyhow, perhaps you would care to show us some of your photographs I'd like to see how it ought to be done.

Get down to basics ...

quote]

I suppose that with another camera I'd anyway would take boring old stuff...:( ... but I like take it with THIS boring M8... as some others here, I think.

"Standard Primate behaviour"?

Hardly. More like standard seagull behaviour - fly in, crap on everything and fly off again.

Bless 'im. Must have had a nasty day.

Nice cup of tea and a biscuit. That's the answer.

He'll soon feel better.

Regards,

Bill

Actually this whole thread is silly!

If Leica wants to survive they must enhance and expand the M8 body and lenses series. They must also abandon the R body and lenses . . . or at least convert them to lenses that work on Nikon and Canon bodies.

They must also develop outsourcing to China or India. Do the math guys!!!!!

You have the most gigantic chip on your shoulder I've ever encountered. So someone here hurt your feelings a while back. Get the hell over it and grow up!!!!!!!!!!!

...They must also abandon the R body and lenses...

I guess you're joking.

Matter of fact Leica, dunno how exactly, became an "exclusive" camera (in the way you may like it or not).

The math could have something in common with business, but taking Ferrari as an example of something "exclusive", they're in the business too and they don't make cars in China or India (this is economy BTW, not math!).

I guess the hardest thing for leica is to realize that a nice digital camera can't be as expensive as a fast red car.

But I know there's still a good margin to make things better, in the way Leica used to do some years ago.

Please don't get me wrong, I like my M8, but its' not that faultless camera as older Ms were.

That's all for me, I hope that someone in Solms will try to realize that Ferrari didn't increase prices for 20% more in the last two years, but they introduced more valuable, precious and expensive models to increase sales (improving anyway their "basic" model).

Actually this whole thread is silly!

If Leica wants to survive they must enhance and expand the M8 body and lenses series. They must also abandon the R body and lenses . . . or at least convert them to lenses that work on Nikon and Canon bodies.

:confused::confused: R lenses do work on Canon bodies.....

SIGH - I just wish this thread and people like Ridder Cornelius would simply fade away. I have a D3, nice DSLR and that says it all - DSLR. It is a terrible DRF!

I don't know about the rest of you but the never ending ad hominem attacks on not just the M8 but those of us who have chosen to own it are getting silly. Perhaps it is time for some moderate - moderation on the forum.

Best to all. Terry.

I have a D3, nice DSLR and that says it all - DSLR. It is a terrible DRF! ...I don't know about the rest of you but the never ending ad hominem attacks on not just the M8 but those of us who have chosen to own it are getting silly. Perhaps it is time for some moderate - moderation on the forum.

Yep, I second this.

Guest stnami

Doesn't take much to get one's knickers in a knot .......... Yea it sorta kills the used Leica market, not sure if I would be happy buying a camera that has been used to take photos of car parks and happy snaps of fur balls ............... could be viral in terms of osmosis

Shrug................