Leica D-LUX3 vs the Lumix LX-2?

heftigblitz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is my first post, so please don't be harsh on me... (Don't mind the crappy username too.)

Anyway, I'm looking into getting a P&S camera that has manual shutter and aperture setting to have as an alternative to my Canon SLR, Sony Alpha, or my Lumix DMC-FZ5 since they are all too big sometimes when you need a discreet camera for certain events. I also need it to look nice both outside and the photos it takes as well. I must say my first choice was a Leica M8, but I don't have the 6 thousand dollars to buy it...:( So, I searched again and found the sexy Leica D-LUX 3 and it's Lumix LX-2 ugly twin. I checked Flickr.com, and when I saw the pictures, for some reason the D-LUX has this "thing" into it that makes the pictures an instant classic (especially in black and white), while the LX-2 looks like any digital P&S in picture quality. Yet still, some say they are totally the same and said I would be wasting my $100 on nothing except the brand. It might be the photographer or maybe there's a little magic going on inside.

Is there something I should know about the D-LUX that makes it different from the LX-2? Are there any issues with this camera, how many of you like it, and what's the best thing you like about it? Also, will there be a D-LUX 4 coming out soon?

BTW: I also have 2 more cameras that I put in my list along with the D-LUX, it's the Leica M2 or M3 and the Voigtlaender Bessa 35mm film rangefinders. Should I get one of these classics instead of the D-LUX3?

And, THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!

I shopped around a lot before settling on the D-Lux 3. I looked at the Lumix and reviewed pictures taken by it. It's a tiny bit bigger. And the pictures seemed flat. Actually the closest competition for the D-Lux 3 in my mind is the Canon G9.

What I like most - the pictures - World View - Daily Photography from Vancouver, United States.

What I had to get used to - adjusting the flash brightness for subject distance - my first flash shots were way over exposed, and they still miss more than half the time.

Keep the manual with you - this is a learning machine.

Shoot in RAW whenever you can - you'll love the additional post processing flexibility.

Terry

Isn't the RAW mode processing on such a tiny camera be slow especially since it's on SD? I shoot RAW on my A-100 most of the time when I need to take quality shots, and JPEG on occasions where I need o conseve memory. Is the D-LUX-3 metal BTW?

Anyone got a sample of monochrome shots of the D-LUX taken at 1600ISO or higher?

saving the RAW file is a tad slow. so don't use it when you need to take multiple shots, or bracket.

RAW is not slow to take the shot though. so i've never had any trouble with shooting single shots.

i use 2GB and 4GB storage. so RAW file size hasn't impacted storage. the price of the 4GB high speed SD storage has dropped in half since I bought the camera.

The D Lux 3 is a great camera. I use it along with the G9. The G9n hangs on a strap around my neck and the Leica on a wrist strap. I use raw always and the Leica does take longer to record but it has advantages that the G9 doesn't. The aspect ratio is pure genius. With just a flick of the switch on the lens barrel, you can change aspect's.

So, the Leica is usually in 16:9 to give a wide angle image. When I'm using just 1 camera, it's the leica. It's carried on my belt with that cool Black leather case. On the street is does what any other Leica, it records without intrusion on the image. Funny thing, I have a Nikon D300, and a Canon 5D. I use them only for paid event work...but all my Warriors' Watch Riders work is done with the G9 and the Leica.

Prints have that Leica feel I guess cause it's the way I use the camera. It's a Leica and hate to say it but I prefer it to the M8. Crazy right but the camera has no issues....

Above it was stated that it should be compared to the G9 and that is a true statement....it's as good and better for some things....like the ease of aspect ratio conversion...just pure genius....

shooter

The D Lux 3 is a great camera. I use it along with the G9. The G9n hangs on a strap around my neck and the Leica on a wrist strap. I use raw always and the Leica does take longer to record but it has advantages that the G9 doesn't. The aspect ratio is pure genius. With just a flick of the switch on the lens barrel, you can change aspect's.

So, the Leica is usually in 16:9 to give a wide angle image. When I'm using just 1 camera, it's the leica. It's carried on my belt with that cool Black leather case. On the street is does what any other Leica, it records without intrusion on the image. Funny thing, I have a Nikon D300, and a Canon 5D. I use them only for paid event work...but all my Warriors' Watch Riders work is done with the G9 and the Leica.

Prints have that Leica feel I guess cause it's the way I use the camera. It's a Leica and hate to say it but I prefer it to the M8. Crazy right but the camera has no issues....

Above it was stated that it should be compared to the G9 and that is a true statement....it's as good and better for some things....like the ease of aspect ratio conversion...just pure genius....

shooter

It's weird how your favorite is the D-LUX 3 even though you have the awesome 5D and D300... (I knew the Leica has some sort of magic!:D )

Anyway, what about the high f/#s on the lens, does it bother you at all especially at night? I'm used to F/4 or lower, since I like to shoot with no flash even at night.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's weird how your favorite is the D-LUX 3 even though you have the awesome 5D and D300... (I knew the Leica has some sort of magic!:D )

Anyway, what about the high f/#s on the lens, does it bother you at all especially at night? I'm used to F/4 or lower, since I like to shoot with no flash even at night.

Let's remember that the D-Lux 3 is very small and light...

I never use flash either.....but the high ISO of the camera is great for B&W...even the noise is intoxicating...like Tri-X pushed in Rodinol.....

With Color, I use Noise Ninja....does a great job....

With the Leica or the G9...I fit in like a tourist...even in a mall where they don't allow photography...I just act like a tourist and never have a problem.....

I was at a crime scene 2 weeks ago with the Leica, I started making pics and a cop came over to me and told me to move...I pulled my Press Pass out and he laughed and said I looked like a tourist...

That was the best complement I could have rec'd...and the reassurance that I was on the right track in my work....

shooter

Yeah, that's my work from about a 35 year span......

I used to be a "Pro"....but I was always more concerned with my personal work...still am..

I get a press pass cause I still do some work for the city and it at times helps to have the pass...but I can go a year or so without really needing it....

there's a lot of more recent work at webshots....here's a link....

WarriorsWatchShooter's photos and albums on webshots

Much was done with the D-Lux 3 and the G9

shooter

A few small differences:

1) Panny is cheaper, but also bigger.

2) JPEG processing is different. Some folks prefer the Leica "look"

3) Leica comes with 64MB SD card and Adobe Photoshop elements (BTW, this is an old version that is NOT compatible with windows vista and does not come with any kind of offer for an upgrade, so if you have a vista machine it is practically useless).

4) Warranty is 2 yrs on the leica vs. 1 on the panny.

Yes, the body of the leica is metal, and the screen appears to be some sort of hard-wearing glass - thus not necessary to use a screen protector on it like you do on many other P&S camera (like my old canon elph).

• 2 weeks later...
A few small differences:

3) Leica comes with 64MB SD card and Adobe Photoshop elements (BTW, this is an old version that is NOT compatible with windows vista and does not come with any kind of offer for an upgrade, so if you have a vista machine it is practically useless).

Yes, the body of the leica is metal, and the screen appears to be some sort of hard-wearing glass - thus not necessary to use a screen protector on it like you do on many other P&S camera (like my old canon elph).

Has any one experienced the screen being scratched ? I was afraid that it might would be some plastic surface.

A few small differences:

Your #3 is not true. Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0 works perfectly with my Windows Home Premium Edition.

I would also suggest to put a screen protector on the rear glass LCD element. The design of the camera is so that the glass LCD screen is the the thing that protudes most from the rear of the camera, so if you were to rest the camera on it's "back" (like most people do with a point and shoot), there is a risk of scratching or damaging the glass LCD screen.

I would also suggest to put a screen protector on the rear glass LCD element. The design of the camera is so that the glass LCD screen is the the thing that protudes most from the rear of the camera, so if you were to rest the camera on it's "back" (like most people do with a point and shoot), there is a risk of scratching or damaging the glass LCD screen.

Thank you for taking time to post the reply. It has been most informative.