Leitz Canada 28/2.8 M, Mk I c.1966 ...Scarce?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have recently acquired a Leitz Canada 28/2.8 M Mk I lens S/No. 2197XXX .. ie logo around the front of the lens reads Leitz Canada and LENS MADE IN CANADA also appears on rear of lens barrel in same plane as the depth of field scale. It has a locking focusing lever; the focusing lever has a bevelled front edge . The front lens element is less convex than the Mk II Canadian model. The serial number suggests 1966 year of manufacture . It is definitely a Mk I and not the Mk II . My books state this is a Wetzlar designed lens ... the Leica Collectors Guide shows a Wetzlar manufactured illustration ie it has a Leitz Wetzlar logo and the description states "First Version Made in Wetzlar" ie no mention of a Canadian manufactured lens.

The Leica Pocket Book 7th Edition also states Wetzlar design and makes no mention of a Canadian made Mk I version.

In P H van Hasbroeck's "Leica A History ...etc. " book on page 206 he mentions a 1966 Leitz Canada version but with serial numbers commencing 2314921 ... but the Leica Pocket Book shows the Mark II Canadian version with S/No's commencing 2314801 (is slightly before van Hasbroeck's sequence) but with Mk II production period 1972-1979. Is P H van Hasbroeck's book entry stating "superseded in 1966 by a Leitz Canada version ... eight elements" erroneous? ... and should it in fact state 'superseded in 1972' ie by the Mk II version (as stated in the Pocket Book) ?

In Nakamura's "Leica Collection" book page 171 he lists the Mk1 stating: "At first it was produced in Germany and later also in Canada" The illustration Picture No. 26 is of a Mk I Leitz Canada version ... this is the only reference I can definitely trace to a Canadian Mk I but I cant see the beginning of the serial number in the photograph ... the Picture 26 photo is definitely a Mk I ... the Mk II is shown in Picture 27 ... the Mk II has a more convex front element and does not have the bevelled front edge on the focusing lever.

I do not have any other books listing the Mk I variants. I managed to buy a 12501 lens hood for it yesterday ... was not cheap but I think the lens will need it.

Can anyone enlighten me as to whether the Mk I Canadian built lens is a scarce lens and if so how many were made compared to the Wetzlar version?

Thanks for reading. Regret cant post any pictures at present.

Cheers

dunk

Hi Dunk,they made Mk1 both Wetzlar and Canada indeed.

Wetzlar one are rarer,but even Canada it's rare,we are talking about hundreds made (I have not here figures but seems to remember 4/500Wetzlar ,Canada 1000 or more).

See here for 4 Canada auctioned in the past:

WestLicht Photographica Auction

The last one Canada is in the 206xx range!

Cheers,M.

Hi Dunk,they made Mk1 both Wetzlar and Canada indeed.

Wetzlar one are rarer,but even Canada it's rare,we are talking about hundreds made (I have not here figures but seems to remember 4/500Wetzlar ,Canada 1000 or more).

See here for 4 Canada auctioned in the past:

The last one Canada is in the 206xx range!

Cheers,M.

Thanks very much ... seems it is scarce ... The build quality is superb ... Look forward to using it and comparing its characteristics to the Elmarit R Mk I ... but might get it serviced first ... The lens hood cost £69 which seems expensive but was the cheapest I could find ... the lens has the deep rear cap ... Have now traced other references to this lens which state that Japanese collectors describe the Mk I 28mm Elmarit M as "sexy" because of its hour glass shape ... It is slightly "waisted" ... but by European standards no Gina Lollobrigida :-)

Cheers

dunk