I love my M4-P !!

Guest maddoc2003jp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just wondering - why has the Leica-logo substituted the self-timer? In further Ms it's the battery compartment, and that I can forgive more logically...

The Logo didn't substitute anything. Look at the M4-2 and notice there is no logo nor a self-timer.

• 4 months later...
Guest maddoc2003jp

It is easy to take off the red-dot but it would leave a hole in the covering (glued to the metal). However, you order the covering in a version without the hole for the red-dot, you can also choose to omit the ASA-reminder on the back-door.

Guest maddoc2003jp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ned, very good point and thanks a lot for mention it !

I was thinking the same, the leather you mention would look better. I have one concern, though. How does the leather hold up against heavy use ? I am afraid it is getting more easily slippery when the embedded structure wears off.

Please share some photos when you have recovered your M4-P !!

About vulcanite, it is for sure the best covering. :)

FWIW, I've had the levant black before on two different cameras, one a m5 and the other a iiic. the smell and look was nice but the tactile qualities weren't so nice. it could lack 'grip' at annoying times when shooting. I spent too much money ~175 IIRC, for the a la leica vulkanit for one mp. it was easy to put on and it was a huge improvement aesthetically over the default sharkskin that is on a mp from the factory, but sadly, it was still nowhere as grippy as my 25 buck griptac kit. i think i like the look of the leica vulkanit and griptac the same aesthetically, but in terms of gripping functionality, griptac is king.

Guest maddoc2003jp

Thomas, thanks a lot for that information. I think it is very informative for those interested into replacing the vulcanite.

So .... how is the 50/1.0 ? :D;) Post some shots !! :)

FWIW, I've had the levant black before on two different cameras, one a m5 and the other a iiic. the smell and look was nice but the tactile qualities weren't so nice. it could lack 'grip' at annoying times when shooting. I spent too much money ~175 IIRC, for the a la leica vulkanit for one mp. it was easy to put on and it was a huge improvement aesthetically over the default sharkskin that is on a mp from the factory, but sadly, it was still nowhere as grippy as my 25 buck griptac kit. i think i like the look of the leica vulkanit and griptac the same aesthetically, but in terms of gripping functionality, griptac is king.

Yes, I think we all know that griptac offers the best grip. But I still prefer the original vulkanit on my M4-P and M5 over Griptac. This is why I'll change the griptac on my M7 for something similar to Vulkanit.

Thanks for the info on the M4-p Red Dot. Not sure what I'll do about it. Love the camera but just don't like that dot.

I do have an M2 that has been recovered in the Aki Ashi lower price replacement, it seems to be a lot like the original vulcanite in look and feel.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest leicaphotos

one of my favorites

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 1 month later...

I'm using a CV 35mm Nokton f/1.4 right now with my lovely M4-P, but am thinking of switching to an pre-ASPH 35mm Summilux.

I have an interesting questions for the rest of you M4-P owners: what's your favorite lens to couple with this amazing camera?

Pictures of the your dynamic duo will also be appreciated :)

I have an interesting questions for the rest of you M4-P owners: what's your favorite lens to couple with this amazing camera?

That's easy for me as I don't have many lenses and I'm not a lens buff anyway. I have a pre-ASPH 35mm Summicron (built, I think, in 1991) which I bought used in 1996 and love for its size. It's on the camera 90% of the time.

The camera itself is from 1981 (from Canada where I think they all came from) and was bought used in 1995. I've never had any problem with it.

The tape looks pretty pronounced on this ugly flash shot I quickly took with a G1, but in reality it blends well with the camera.

My "other Leica" is an M8.2 which I bought new last year, but it's up for sale in the "Buy & Sell" section of this website now. It's a great digital camera, no question about it, but it seems I needed to buy it to find out how much more I liked shooting with film and the M4-P in particular. For the few cases where I need/want digital, the G1 (which I also bought used) will do for me.

An old friend.

Been re-built more times than I can remember.

Bought this new back in 1986...

• Like 2

Here is my current rig. I did remove the tape afterward. It looks much better w/o the red dot and the useless ASA panel.

118224225.jpg

118224229.jpg

Chris, I like the look of the M4-P with the traditional advance lever, and without the asa dial or dot.