I love my M4-P !!

Guest maddoc2003jp

Guest maddoc2003jp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

... now that we had the "I love my MP, M6, M7" but what about the "under-dog", the black-chrome M4-P ? ;)

The first Leica having a VF with 6 frame-lines, a motor-drive or rapid-winder can be attached, all M-lenses with or without googles (including the DR Summicron) and the Super-Angulon-M can be used without restrictions. Isn't it the most versatile and at the same time puristic camera Leica ever made ? :)

LOL!

I have wayy to many shots and I just lose track. I don't know where and when to post. I never update my site... But still, here are 2 from this past week with the M4-P + Hexanon 28 and Beloved Plus-X!

Web-20080629232919.jpg

Web-20080630011721.jpg

----

P.S.: Gabor, congrats for the LFI Editor's choice! Way to go!

Guest maddoc2003jp

Ned, these are great !! I like the dynamic and contrast a lot, film still rules and that M4-P rocks !! :D

... and thank you for the congrats !!! First time ever that one of my photos has been selected !! I used my Noctilux for this one and it was you encouraging me all the time !!! :)

Leica has never made a bad M. The only real differences between the M4-2 the M4 was the lack of the self timer, but it gained the ability to use the M4-2 Winder. The M4-P was indeed the first M with 6 Frames and, if memory serves me correctly, the first with a zinc top plate.

I used both, and both were reliable, but the M5 is still my personal favorite Film M. For me, everything about it right.

• Like 1

Yes! It's the other MP!

Att: rsh, the M4-P was a transitional camera between the M4-2 and the M6. Therefore the early examples, most having no.s 15xxx, had brass top plates and late examples, 16xxx, had zinc top plates (this is not hard-and-fast). The M4-P was essentially either an M4-2 with extra frame lines or a meter-less M6. As for 'black chrome', well, "pretty is as pretty does". I hope to be ordering an MP on the A LACARTE programme. It shall be black chrome.

Yours,

R. Morrison, M4-P, etc.

Guest maddoc2003jp

... and very well spent. IMHO !! The illuminated balloon in # 1 adds well to a nice dusk / dawn (which of both ?) scene. Could you share some more details, film and lens ?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest maddoc2003jp
I loved my M4-P also, it is a great camera, too bad I don't have it anymore

You should get yourself another one ! :)

101318676.jpg

(M4-P + Noctilux / Tri-X)

A chrome M4-P purchased from Don Chatterton was my second re-entry into the M world in 1984 or 1985. I traded it to Jim Kuehl in 1989 or so during my second exit from the M world. It was a great camera - I'd rather have my M6es (and still do, courtesy of my third re-entry into the M world), but the -P is a very fine camera.

Mine had the earlier brass top plate...fwiw. I now have a late chrome M4. I don't use it a lot - the M6es get more use and truth be told the RD-1 gets more use because scanning is a PITA....shame on me, too...

There is a chrome M4-P somewhere in the house - together with flush M6-type windowpanes - but I still don´t know the workflow to put a photo up on this site ...

Shame on me.

Best

• 3 weeks later...