Reprovit 11a

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have just had a complete Reprovit 11a given to my Museum complete with two mint MDA Leica bodies , plus all the light boxes, timers , reflexion curtains, instruction books and spare light bulbs ,has anybody used or still using Reprovit 11a setup ?

ogrove

• Like 1

I have just had a complete Reprovit 11a given to my Museum complete with two mint MDA Leica bodies , plus all the light boxes, timers , reflexion curtains, instruction books and spare light bulbs ,has anybody used or still using Reprovit 11a setup ?

ogrove

I doubt if anybody is still using the Reprovit it the 'digital era'..... I used to use it about 20 - 25 years ago, while at McGill University in Montreal. It is a superb apparatus and once mastered, extremely quick to use.

Best,

Jan

As a copying unit, it is unequaled. Unless you want to put an M8 on it, you are limited to film. But its qualities are so fine that if you need to do serious copying, I think that the Reprovit would still be the way to go. If you need digital images, the film can be very successfully scanned.

Oddly, I used one about 25 years ago at Corcordia University - 15 blocks away from McGill in Montreal.

As a copying unit, it is unequaled. Unless you want to put an M8 on it, you are limited to film. But its qualities are so fine that if you need to do serious copying, I think that the Reprovit would still be the way to go. If you need digital images, the film can be very successfully scanned.

Oddly, I used one about 25 years ago at Corcordia University - 15 blocks away from McGill in Montreal.

......And all these Reprovits were probably supplied by Photokina Technic on Rue de Maisonneuve, the store where my Leica madness begun in earnest .......

Jan

......And all these Reprovits were probably supplied by Photokina Technic on Rue de Maisonneuve, the store where my Leica madness begun in earnest .......

Jan

Me too...

We sold quite a few to McGill, dont remember Concordia though, there was Sir George Williams (?) and Universite de Montreal.

Gerry (who was at PK just before Jan)

Me too...

We sold quite a few to McGill, dont remember Concordia though, there was Sir George Williams (?) and Universite de Montreal.

Gerry (who was at PK just before Jan)

Sir George Williams University and Loyola College merged about 1974 to become Concordia University. Concordia is very well respected, has a famous/highly rated business school, and runs an annual international business school case competition (largest in the world) at which I am honoured to be a judge.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Jan

Probably delivered in this...... from the store..............

a couple of Agfachomes (1969 & 1967, M3 50 Elmar) which have not aged well. Zeiss paid the bill for the shop sign I think!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Probably delivered in this...... from the store..............

a couple of Agfachomes (1969 & 1967, M3 50 Elmar) which have not aged well. Zeiss paid the bill for the shop sign I think!

Now THAT brings back memories......! I used that VW bus to move my own Beseler 45 enlarger!

Zeiss stopped paying the bills and sign changed to Photo-kina Technic in about 1970.

Amazing....

Jan

Now THAT brings back memories......! I used that VW bus to move my own Beseler 45 enlarger!

Zeiss stopped paying the bills and sign changed to Photo-kina Technic in about 1970.

Amazing....

Jan

Thought you might like those Jan. :)

Our first campervan (in the UK) was based on the same model VW, so I am very familiar with them.

Actually the 67 was before I got the M3 so OT equipment I'm afraid (Pentax S1a) :eek:

Gerry

• 1 year later...

Funny> I used one about 20 years ago at the Jewish General Hospital in Montreal. It was a wonderful unit and brilliantly designed as well as constructed. Brings back fond memories. It was also purchased from Photokina Techniic which was probably the last photo dealer known for their excellent service.

Funny> I used one about 20 years ago at the Jewish General Hospital in Montreal. It was a wonderful unit and brilliantly designed as well as constructed. Brings back fond memories. It was also purchased from Photokina Techniic which was probably the last photo dealer known for their excellent service.

Photokina was an excellent shop. I remember Jeurgen..., one of the owners, and Paul Balogh (a particular friend). Paul was at various times the representative of Carveth, the Canadian distributer for Leitz, Linhof etc. He opened my eyes to many things Leica and photo.

Today, the place to go for Leica and service is Camtec Photo on Notre Dame east, which is run by Jean Bardaji. They do a very good job.

My wife teaches nursing at the Jewish General, which is a very fine hospital open to the whole community.

Photokina was an excellent shop. I remember Jeurgen..., one of the owners, and Paul Balogh (a particular friend). Paul was at various times the representative of Carveth, the Canadian distributer for Leitz, Linhof etc. He opened my eyes to many things Leica and photo.

Today, the place to go for Leica and service is Camtec Photo on Notre Dame east, which is run by Jean Bardaji. They do a very good job.

My wife teaches nursing at the Jewish General, which is a very fine hospital open to the whole community.

Michael,

Again - old memories were re-kindled.... Jürgen and Hubert were the owners, with Lotte (Jürgens wife and Huberts sister) doing accounting. We did indeed sell quite a few reprovits to The Jewish General, The Royal Victoria Hospital, McGill, SGWU, the CEGEP, even to Dalhousie - to name just a few - I could go on and on; we were the biggest Reprovit dealer in Canada and understood the machines to a 'T' as well. It was a superb piece of equipment.

Paul Balogh was quite a character; to this day I remember his swearing in Hungarian - there is no other language as descriptive as Hungarian when it comes to expressing one's frustration through swearing...... George Kovacs was another Leica rep - also of Hungarian origins and a true gentleman. Never a swear word out of him in any of the languages he spoke fluently - English, French, German or Hungarian - all the languages that flourished in Photo-Kina in those days, including my Czech.

Sorry for the rambling - after all these years I still have very fond memories of my times in Montréal and Photo-Kina!

Best,

Jan

Michael,

Again - old memories were re-kindled.... Jürgen and Hubert were the owners, with Lotte (Jürgens wife and Huberts sister) doing accounting. We did indeed sell quite a few reprovits to The Jewish General, The Royal Victoria Hospital, McGill, SGWU, the CEGEP, even to Dalhousie - to name just a few - I could go on and on; we were the biggest Reprovit dealer in Canada and understood the machines to a 'T' as well. It was a superb piece of equipment.

Paul Balogh was quite a character; to this day I remember his swearing in Hungarian - there is no other language as descriptive as Hungarian when it comes to expressing one's frustration through swearing...... George Kovacs was another Leica rep - also of Hungarian origins and a true gentleman. Never a swear word out of him in any of the languages he spoke fluently - English, French, German or Hungarian - all the languages that flourished in Photo-Kina in those days, including my Czech.

Sorry for the rambling - after all these years I still have very fond memories of my times in Montréal and Photo-Kina!

Best,

Jan

Ah, the Photo Kina fan club!

Paul taught me some Hungarian, all of it profane and very imaginative :D, I can't remember the original now but I have a few english translations still in my repertoire, it would have to be a PM if anyone wants to know.

I thought George Kovacs was the Zeiss rep. although he used Leica rather than lug a Contarex around! I remember him expressing regrets after swapping his M3 for an M4 when it came out. He had a huge screen (floor to ceiling) to project onto from his Pradovit (of course). He took me along on a trip to Quebec once to show me the sights.

We are going to visit Ontario and Quebec next spring, first time back in 40 years, it will be interesting to see what is at 595 Boul. de Maisoneuve now.

Gerry

Paul was a friend - he took an interest in a callow student (me), and I am positively disposed towards Hungarians as a result. He was honest, no nonsense and forthright. Words were not minced. And at least about photography, he knew what he was about.

I have not seen him in many years, but I believe he still lives in Montreal. I saw about 5 years ago that his wife Judy died. She also was very nice. Very fond memories.

• 8 years later...

Back to the Reprovit IIa.  I still use mine with both M8 and M9s which fit satisfactorily albeit not perfectly.  It is fully functional but w/o the light box.  I have a few extra parts which I might be coerced into parting with if someone was really in need. The one I have came out of a midwest University and had two well used and well maintained MDas

The Reprovit can be very handy if you have much work to copy, Mine is adapted to copy slides also, which is much faster than my Nikon Coolscan 8000.  Regards, Ron

I have two Reprovit IIa units.  Neither is usable because the insulation on the wiring becomes brittle and falls off.  Very dangerous.  If you plan to use yours, it should be inspected by an electrician first.  Sounds like some have fared well though, and their wiring is good.

A question, since you seem to know quite a bit about the Reprovits: I got the Reprovit II not that long ago and with it came a special arm and connecting piece to use a Valoy II enlarger. I have posted that here before. Does anyone know if Leitz also made that for the Reprovit IIa ?

Michael

Edited by M.Hilo

Here it is:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2