Going back to film

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After using the M8 daily for 19 months, I have decided to go back to film, I bought an MP one week ago and haven't touched the M8 since.

The difference is substantial and I feel like I've come home. I will probably sell the M8. Just doesn't give me the feeling I have when photographing with the MP.

And my Fuji slides look soooo beautiful on the light table...

Film is a wonderful medium, isn't it? I've gone back to using film since I got my M8, but I do use the M8 quite a lot. There are situations where the M8 is just a better choice, but film is great when time allows and esthetic considerations demand it ... can't really see the point in working my *ss off to make digital look like film when I can just shoot film.

You might be sorry at some point if you sell the M8. It shares lenses with your MP, so it seems like it would be the ideal body to have around for those situations where digital is the way to go.

(Of course for some people digital is *never* the way to go :D ... and vice-versa).

I'd keep it.

Thats wonderful news and welcome back to the real thing.

In my IMHO thats the ONLY WAY TO APPRECIATE THOSE GORGEOUS LEICA LENSES.

Anything else is a convenient substitute for viewing on a computer screen.

Slides for ever.

Ken.

I am about to buy my first Leica. I cannot make my mind up about the M8 or the MP I really want an MP but I keep hearing people say film will soon be hard to come by and get developed. I still think film produces far sharper and far better quality than digital

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There is that, I still have and use from time to time my M3. But my inclination is more towards the M8> personal inclination, I guess. From a technical point of view, film has really been overtaken by the new technology, resolution, crispness, precision, even (in colour) dynamic range, are far better on sensors, but from an artistic point of view? These technical considerations are rather irrelevant imo. I would not worry about the availability of film. It will be around for a long, long time. Film manufacturers are still developing the product. We can still buy oil paint, despite photography.

Thats wonderful news and welcome back to the real thing.

In my IMHO thats the ONLY WAY TO APPRECIATE THOSE GORGEOUS LEICA LENSES.

Anything else is a convenient substitute for viewing on a computer screen.

Slides for ever.

Ken.

:D Isn't that something like the caveman said, sitting in his cave using his finger to paint his magic images, when somebody invented the paintbrush?:p

Jaap,

You really hit the nail squarely on the head there. If art is the main consideration, rather than meeting deadlines for example, then film really does have a lot to offer. Of course you can make art with an M8 too, but film is still a very viable alternative. It's likely to be around for a long time, although it is getting harder to find decent processing facilities.

:D Isn't that something like the caveman said, sitting in his cave using his finger to paint his magic images, when somebody invented the paintbrush?:p

No, I think the exact quote is: "unggh oogah-oo ggrrmph baah!".

(There were cavemen painting in caves when paintbrushes were invented?)

Sorry ... in a silly mood tonight ... :p

i'm on the same boat. had my M8 for over a year and decided i wanted to go back to film and picked up a MP, and have really been enjoying going back to film. i just don't know what it is, but pictures taken with a film camera just come out so much better. i'm just so much more focused when i shoot film because you cant just beat the shutter like you do with the M8.

i'm keeping both cameras though. they both have their pluses and minuses and even though i'm going through a film phase now, i know i'll get sick of scanning film for a while and go back to digital and vise versa. atleas this time i can. my biggest mistake was selling my M6 when i bought the M8 thinking i would never touch film again... that was the biggest mistake i ever made with my cameras... i loved that M6..

cheers :)

I couldn't get rid of my M6, it would be like turning my back on an old friend - we've been to so many places, seen so many thing together, Even if I never use it again I can look at it and think "Hey, do you remember when...". My M3 on the other hand I got rid of without a second thought. I didn't have the same emotional bond to that camera.

Seriously don't get rid of your M8 too quickly. There's always a period of "new toy syndrome" when you get some new kit. Wait for that to wear off before you make the decision.

My biggest mistake was selling my M6 when i bought the M8 thinking i would never touch film again... that was the biggest mistake i ever made with my cameras... i loved that M6..

I almost sold my M6 when I bought the M8.

But a good friend said: don't. You are past the stage where you continuously buy and sell, and selling your M6 you will always regret. He was right!

Bought M8, Bought second M8, Sold 2 M3's (out of 3), Bought M6. Shortly after buying the M6 I sold the other M3 and the M6.

When going out to take some photos I would either take one M8 only, one M8 and a film M but the film M never left the bag. Then it was which one to take, M3?, M6? or M8. M8 won out all the time.

Good luck.

After using the M8 daily for 19 months, I have decided to go back to film, I bought an MP one week ago and haven't touched the M8 since.

The difference is substantial and I feel like I've come home. I will probably sell the M8. Just doesn't give me the feeling I have when photographing with the MP.

And my Fuji slides look soooo beautiful on the light table...

Good luck and enjoy.....

Same happened with me, now shooting more film than ever and it is so satisfying:D

regards

andy

I am about to buy my first Leica. I cannot make my mind up about the M8 or the MP I really want an MP but I keep hearing people say film will soon be hard to come by and get developed. I still think film produces far sharper and far better quality than digital

One thing you might do is "game" your workflow. In other words, think about the process each camera might lead you through ... From the moment you put your kit in the bag, ready do step out the front door -- to the moment you have complete the final display media (print, web image, etc.) Which creative workflow fits you the best?

Though I like shooting film, the film-digital workflow got old (unless you get a scanner that accepts full rolls and scans automatically). But if you do your own darkroom work and make prints, the MP looks good.

Also, I found I was taking 2 M6 bodies with me. One loaded with ISO 100 or 200, and the other loaded with ISO 800. If you are going to be shooting in situations with varying light levels, there may be an advantage to the M8.

I only sold one of my M6 bodies when I bought the M8. When I take my next vacation, the M8 will be the main camera, but I'll have the M6 body in a wrap, tucked away safely just in case.

There is that, I still have and use from time to time my M3. But my inclination is more towards the M8> personal inclination, I guess. From a technical point of view, film has really been overtaken by the new technology, resolution, crispness, precision, even (in colour) dynamic range, are far better on sensors, but from an artistic point of view? These technical considerations are rather irrelevant imo. I would not worry about the availability of film. It will be around for a long, long time. Film manufacturers are still developing the product. We can still buy oil paint, despite photography.

I beg your pardon, but where in digital is resolution, and precision? All you get is a resolution of ca. 55 Lpm (film ca. 150 Lpm) an exaggerated , unnatural sharpness that

prevents any hint of depth and very rarely a colour that only halfway matches the original.

In most cases there is a pink or brown undertone, that leads to a quite funny tone of skin.

And I do not mention the ecological side of the affair.

You always hear "now we are nearly as good as analog", but if you are invited to buy a

multi thousand euro camera from whatever brand, shouldn´t it be far beyond "nearly as good" and shouldn´t it be something completely new in regard of what it is able to do, e.g

3 D (now who wants this) or playing music/recording the sound when the shutter was pressed or making coffee or prints up to 40 x 60 cm? As long as there is no completely new ( and desirable) photo at the end of the line I see no reason why one should spend the money.

As long as there is no completely new ( and desirable) photo at the end of the line I see no reason why one should spend the money.

I'm not trying to knock film but just look at what you are spending. Each roll of film, 36 exposures, cost $4.00 or more. Then the developing cost for each roll, even IF you do it yourself.

I have taken well over 30,000 images with digital cameras and about 12,000-14,000 of them have been with a M8.

Just the cost of the film, 30,000/36 = 834 rolls @ $4.00 = $3336.00 not to mention the developing cost.

12,000 -14,000 shots with the M8, or any other digital camera I've used, = $0.00 in film and developing cost.

Yes do the math.

It is each persons choice which medium they choose to use and to shoulder the expense for it. If you really like film then there is no reason to ever go digital, until there is no more film. Which will happen in the future.