Wet cleaning was a breeze

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all--

Well, after putting it off for quite a while, and accumulating considerable junk that had to be cloned out, I finally decided I'd do the wet cleaning. It really was far easier than what I expected, and a whole lot easier and technically less challenging than spotting prints. I used the Visible Dust products, with their swabs, and starting [since there seemed to be a now congealed streak on my sensor, quite visible with the naked eye] with the "Smear Away", and then repeating with "Sensor Clean." It took five passes in all [like I said, I waited a while] but, in all, not a bad experience.

I wasn't able to get Eclipse, as the dealers in the US won't ship it, due to the methanol content. The Visible Dust products seem to work.

Thanks to all those who posted their previous experience with this. The site came through for me again.

Norm

I haven't had to wet clean my M8 yet but I have wet cleaned my Canon 40D three times. The first time it was pretty intimidating but you get used to it. I too use Visible Dust. I had to get the 1.3 swabs for the Leica. The Arctic Butterfly works well too.

Do you remember "the good old days" when you occasionally cleaned a lens. :o

I cleaned my sensor yesterday with Sensor Swabs and Eclipse2. First time I've done it after over a year, 12K actuations and a million lens swaps. It needed it. Looked much better after first cleaning, even better after the second. Nothing to it.

I had to drive an hour to buy Eclipse2 because it cannot be mailed. In talking to the camera shop guy he mentioned that he'd finally obtained an M8 to demo. "Where is it?" I asked. "Oh, we don't keep it out," he said. "Actually we haven't shown it to anyone yet and probably won't unless we're pretty sure they're going to buy."

That was my experience a year or so ago trying to buy an M8. I apparently didn't have the appropriate letter of introduction necessary to get a dealer to call me back. Which is why amazon.com got the sale.

Funny business, photography...

A guy at Wolf camera [many years ago] would not let me see an R3 which was in their display case. He said they were only showing it to "serious customers". Needless to say, Wolf camera hasn't gotten much business from me over the years.

Funny you should post this actually Norm. After owning dslr's since the Digital Rebel, I guess 5 years or tehreabouts and always refusing to wet clean I eventually caved and did it on the most expensive camera I'm ever likely to buy. go figure.

Like you said though, it really isn't that daunting once you take that first deep breath.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I wasn't able to get Eclipse, as the dealers in the US won't ship it, due to the methanol content. The Visible Dust products seem to work.

Thanks to all those who posted their previous experience with this. The site came through for me again.

Norm

Norm:

I have used the original visible dust sensor clean in the past and I still pack it for air travel. If you can get the Eclipse E2, you will find it is much easier to use because it evaporates instantly and without leaving anything behind.

Mico-tools will ship the eclipse fluid, but it has to go by mail.

Micro-Tools

I recently cleaned my M8 sensor for the first time. I'd bought a VisibleDust Arctic Butterfly and Sensor Loupe kit. After a few wipes across, and a wizz of the Arctic Butterfly in between each wipe, it was visibly spotless. It's the first time I'd cleaned any sensors as I'd only used Olympus digital cameras before this. I was slightly concerned about sensor dust generally because of the 'no problem' associated with the Olympus cameras, but I'm glad to have learnt that it's not worth bothering about. I'd spent many precious time-consuming minutes in the old analogue days with a deadline to meet, spotting prints before rushing to 'Red Star' them to London for publication.

A guy at Wolf camera [many years ago] would not let me see an R3 which was in their display case. He said they were only showing it to "serious customers". Needless to say, Wolf camera hasn't gotten much business from me over the years.

I was working in Cambridge, UK a few weeks ago and went into Campkins Cameras on Rose Crescent. My M8 is from the first batch of black bodies in the UK, and I had my camera with me and wanted to compare its shutter sound with the newer body he had in the store. His reply was, 'No I'm afraid I'm not prepared to do this if you're not prepared to consider buying it.' I left the shop never to return to buy anything, including a future M8 or 9.

JGW

Never had any dealer refuse to show me a Leica camera, even if he knew i was just window shopping.

Gene

Stephens Camera in Manchester UK were very good and totally unpretentious - no problem in allowing me to shoot an M8, even outside the shop in a Victorian arcade. And they allow you to wander around nearby streets to shoot when sampling lenses apparently. I recommend them.

Manchester's my home town, and I bought my M2 and M3 and several lenses from Stephens in the 80s when they used to be on Cheetham Hill Road. Anyone remember that shop?

JGW

I've never had a problem with a dealer not being willing to let me look at a Leica...but then I never bought a new one until the M8. My problem has been that a few dealers I've dealt with over the years have been all too willing to let me handle/fondle Leica gear--to the detriment of my bank account, and with the result that I recall having traded a black Nikon SP for a Leica M2R, thinking I was getting a great deal [1980, I think]. In retrospect, my rationalization is that, were I to have kept the Nikon, it would be too valuable to carry along with me and use today, whereas I sometimes carry the M2R as my film backup.

As for sensor cleaning, the Eclipse does sound like a better bet, as with the Visible Dust solutions, as someone else pointed out, two solutions are needed in order to do a complete job. Thanks Gareth, Rob, for the suggestion.

Norm

• 6 years later...