Sign in to follow this  
snaggs

Switching to Leica.. is this a good deal?

It's really interesting to me: I am probably the least experienced "camera operator" around here. I went to look at the Nikon D200. I had them put a bunch of lenses of it.

I hated it.

I hated all of the Canon stuff too.

I am probably going to get in to trouble for my language but the lenses feel like shit... and I mean *real junk*.

Scratchy and plastic... and...

Put quite simply: I am a musician by trade. If I have to fight with the instrument then I can't play. I don't even want to walk out on stage. I don't feel confident. I don't want to go out in to public that way.

It just doesn't feel... "slick and sexy". I don't know how to explain it any other way.

There's Steinway and then there's Kawai.

Guest trix
If the resale value for Leica wasnt so bad I would get rid of most of it and buy a second 5D (or maybe a 30D for situations where the crop doesnt hurt) and lots of L lenses.

Doesn´t make sense. Do you think the resale value will rise?

Dan,

I would invest in buying either a M2 or a used M6 (either version) and a 35 'Cron. You should be able to pick these up for about USD1500. Ideally I would get the M" if you can find one that is CLA'D. If you can't get on with a M with 35 lens, then don't bother. Anyway the M2 is probably better built than even the new MP and you won't lose money on a M2.

Best wishes,

Charlie

I think this is sage advice about getting into Leica film equipment; don't buy it new unless you are not financially bound. I recently picked up a M5 + 50mm summicron lens for under that figure on ebay. I am so very pleased with what it does; I think all the time about what I can do with it in certain circumstances. I'd suggest setting yourself a price limit of 2000US; then head to ebay and choose two lenses you'd use most often and the used M body. Go with the old stuff in good condition, you won't be unhappy; and your wallet won't be so wanting:)

Good cheer,

Thomas W.

Guest Bernd Banken

If I have to fight with the instrument then I can't play. I don't even want to walk out on stage. I don't feel confident. I don't want to go out in to public that way.

A well known musician told once:

"No pain, no gain." (SRV)

cheers

Bernd