Switching to Leica.. is this a good deal?

snaggs

Thanks Andy, yes I realise its different.. I bought the 5D etc, and it is the be all and end all, I just personally don't like it for some reason.. I keep picking up my FM3A to go shooting, but I only have a single lens for that, a 45mm.. since Nikon has given up on quality built primes.. I thought I may as well sell the 5D kit and get a Leica.

I'll be M8 ready should I decide I need digital capture again.

Daniel.

PS. My favorite lens on the Canon was the 135L.. can just turn backgrounds to milk.. Is the 90mm f/2 APO the best portrait lens on a Leica? or would the 75mm f/1.4 be better. I was thinking that the 75mm Summi is getting a bit long in the teeth, no asph etc

The 90 APO is horrifically sharp, and it's going to produce very different results than the 75 Summilux. I really like what I've gotten with the 75 'lux when I've used it - but it is a different beast as far as using it on the camera. There is a bit more obstruction in the viewfinder, takes a bit of getting used to. I own the 90 APO, and I could almost justify owning the 75 'lux...almost. There are more gaps to fill in my system first though.

On a high dollar swap like this you better be sure of what you're getting yourself into.

If there's any way you can "demo" the Leica kit for a few hours, better days, while the other party holds your Canon kit you'll probably not regret the effort.

As far as enjoying shooting again, the rangefinder experience is cumulative toward eventual mastery, and you may find yourself frustrated initially if you've not previously worked in it.

There's no doubt in my mind, though, that once you get the hang of it and become accustomed to the results you'll never be tempted to go back to the Canon.

Thanks.

Allan

I also think the Leica system you would be getting will maintain a better resale value down the line. The Canon glass may retain much of the value, but the body will lose value quickly in the next couple of years. From a purely financial point of view, I think it's a good swap. The caveat is, as others have stated, that they are different animals. Although RF systems (and Leicas in particular) are great and have their fanbase, they're not for everyone.

To me they're tools, and the 5D has its place too. It can do things that the Leica can't, and vice versa.

The Leica is an awfully sexy tool though!

I also think the Leica system you would be getting will maintain a better resale value down the line. The Canon glass may retain much of the value, but the body will lose value quickly in the next couple of years. From a purely financial point of view, I think it's a good swap. The caveat is, as others have stated, that they are different animals. Although RF systems (and Leicas in particular) are great and have their fanbase, they're not for everyone.

To me they're tools, and the 5D has its place too. It can do things that the Leica can't, and vice versa.

The Leica is an awfully sexy tool though!

Have a look at ebay!

Buy a MP today for 3300,-€ and sell it tomorrow on ebay: You will get 1800-2000,-€.

Phantastic resale value! Same with the lenses. :(

Have a look at ebay!

Buy a MP today for 3300,-€ and sell it tomorrow on ebay: You will get 1800-2000,-€.

Well, a used M6 body from say five years ago in good condition will fetch a far better percentage of its original price than a top of the line digital camera from five years ago. I would argue that five years from now the same trend will probably be true.

Any car loses a high percentage of its value the minute it drives off the lot, but five years down the road, all things being equal, the Ferarri owner will do better in a sale than the Mazda owner (adjusted for cost difference of course).

Personally, I'm stunned that the 5D is created from as much plastic that it is. Even the Nikon D200 is stronger with mag alloy. Of course I can't wait to feel a M8.

If I had the time and the energy I could point out that the 5D is made from mag alloy, but as I don't, I won't.

It is hard when you have idiots trashing a better far camera than most will ever make, just for the sake of its brand name. Having said that, I am in the process of offloading my SLR kit which is Leica, for the purpose of getting into MP.

It depends what you want to do. If you want absolute ease of use and convenience stay with AF digital. Cant beat it when you have to get the shot. So why do I want MP?

Ignore what everyone says about your existing gear. Do what is right for you, and get what makes you want to go out there and get the frames.

It is hard when you have idiots trashing a better far camera than most will ever make, just for the sake of its brand name.

Rob, you're wrong. He is trashing it based on experience. He used it once in a camera shop for a few minutes.

Back on the original topic, I am planning to ADD an MP/M7 to the arsenal at some time in the near future. Presumably I will then be able to use my 5D, which I am keeping, to hammer in nails or something, assuming that its frail, plastic body is up to the task. :)

the near future. Presumably I will then be able to use my 5D, which I am keeping, to hammer in nails or something, assuming that its frail, plastic body is up to the task. :)

Just a forewarning. I wouldn't suggest it :) I think that you may want to try using the Mark series which is a little bit more tensile! :cool:

Have a look at ebay!

It was offrered to me M6 (non TTL) black + 50mm Summicron + 105mm (I didn't knew there is 105mm Leica M lens...) for 1250 EURO...

Daniel, if you have money I would keep Canon gear and get Leica kit. If you can't do that and must sell Canon gear, as others already said, SLR and RF, and digital to film is quite big change. If you know for sure you want RF, and you know you want to swich to film, you can't go wrong with Leica kit you mentioned. I had (and still have) one cheap old RF camera for 2 years and only after that decided to invest in "real" RF kit. And I still keep mine Canon gear... But, difference from your situation is, mine Canon gear is film equipment, not digital...

Dan,

I would invest in buying either a M2 or a user M6 (either version) and a 35 'Cron. You should be able to pick these up for about USD1500. Ideally I would get the M" if you can find one that is CLA'D. If you can't get on with a M with 35 lens, then don't bother. Anyway the M2 is probably better built than even the new MP and you won't lose money on a M2.

Best wishes,

Charlie