Interesting accessory for you M8 chaps

bill

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I know how rarely some of you venture out of the M8 Forum into the Forum proper, so you may have missed Luigi's posting drawing people's attention to this:

M

This seems to solve at least one of the things that I have heard people gripe about.

Regards,

Bill

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know how rarely some of you venture out of the M8 Forum into the Forum proper, so you may have missed Luigi's posting drawing people's attention to this:

M

This seems to solve at least one of the things that I have heard people gripe about.

Regards,

Bill

Nice but for $210+shipping I'll remove the baseplate like I've done for years on my film Leicas.

PRESS RELEASE

M-Mate Offers Quick Change of Memory Cards for Leica M8

AUSTIN, Texas USA --June 2, 2008 -- The M-Mate™ baseplate enables faster and

easier changing of memory cards for Leica M8 photographers.

The Leica M8 normally requires the bottom of the camera to be

completely removed to swap memory cards. This takes time and requires

the photographer to juggle the camera, the baseplate, and the memory

cards.

A Leica M8 with the M-Mate makes swapping SD cards much faster and

easier. Card swaps can now be done in seconds with only one hand.

Access to the SD card is via a molded flexible door in the baseplate.

Having the same footprint and less than one millimeter taller than the

original baseplate, the M-Mate is compatible with all cases for the

M8, including the popular Luigi half-case.

Machined from tempered aluminum/magnesium alloy, the M-Mate offers

great strength, rigidity and light weight. The product includes a

standard tripod socket in the same location as on the original

baseplate.

The M-Mate is available in durable epoxy powder coat finishes to match

both black and silver M8 models.

Initially the M-Mate is available exclusively from Leicatime.com.

For more information on the product or to order visit touchspandesigns.com

or leicatime.com

M-Mate

Touchspan Designs

1304 W. Industrial Drive

Round Rock, TX 78681

M-Mate™ is a trademark of Touchspan Designs

Leica is a trademark of Leica Camera, AG.

In practice I wonder how useful it is. It depends on the size of SD cards you use. For cards 1GB or less it's useful. 2-4GB when you change the card you should also change the battery to be safe. I'll be interested to hear of peoples experiences with the accessory.

Bob.

I have a prototype of this sitting on my desk. I have had it for a month or so and its a great product. Made in the US as well for you patriots :) I was supposed to write up a review of it by now, but I really have had to much to do and the other stuff has been more important. Its really nicely done and the quality is great. I recommend it and Leica should have done something similar when they made the M8. I use smaller cards so I dont put all my apples in one basket when shoting. Im also annoyd that I have to take of the baseplate when im gonna put the card in the reader. I dont have a problem when it comes to film, but the card is so small that you shouldnt have to take of the whole baseplate everytime. Just my 2 pesos.

Im sure some will love it and that some wont care ;)

I have a prototype of this sitting on my desk. I have had it for a month or so and its a great product. Made in the US as well for you patriots :) I was supposed to write up a review of it by now, but I really have had to much to do and the other stuff has been more important. Its really nicely done and the quality is great. I recommend it and Leica should have done something similar when they made the M8. I use smaller cards so I dont put all my apples in one basket when shoting. Im also annoyd that I have to take of the baseplate when im gonna put the card in the reader. I dont have a problem when it comes to film, but the card is so small that you shouldnt have to take of the whole baseplate everytime. Just my 2 pesos.

Im sure some will love it and that some wont care ;)

Is there one made somewhere else for us non-US patriots?

Looks pretty cool to me! Since I’m just a hobbyist, it may work out pretty well. I often take a few simple grab shots and then I don’t bother with pulling the card out until I have more photos loaded up. This would allow me more freedom to casually slip the card out and toss them it. When its available in silver, I may well opt for one. After all, it really doesn’t take much to excite this bored retired soldier.

Regards,

Guest jimmy pro

OMG, the hatch is made of.....I don't dare say the "P" word on a Leica forum (except to describe Canon images of course). Ok, I'll spell it so the zelott's won't understand...p-l-a-s-t-i-c. :D :D

Seriously, what's with this "initially" you have to order it from Italy even tho it's made in TX? How friggin' dumb is that! I could see if it was made in Beijing like everything else is today.

In practice I wonder how useful it is. It depends on the size of SD cards you use. For cards 1GB or less it's useful. 2-4GB when you change the card you should also change the battery to be safe. I'll be interested to hear of peoples experiences with the accessory.

Bob.

I think the same. Every time I change the card, I change the batterie. Even more.

Cheers

Some parts of the original M8 are made of r u b b e r or something similar 'advanced elastomer' even worse than the P-word untill you realise that your life may have depended on it :-)

Anyway as a professional in designing this P-stuff I will accept no denigrating remarks :)

...seriously, what's with this "initially" you have to order it from Italy even tho it's made in TX? How friggin' dumb is that! I could see if it was made in Beijing like everything else is today.

Well, I guess they want to contribute to the carbon emissions fund together with customs.

Regards,