Where can I restore/repair my dad's 1938 Leica

ampm99

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When my dad passed away a few years ago I inherited a 1938 Leica rangefinder and 2 lenses. He "liberated" the camera from a German officer during WWII in Italy where he served in aerial reconaisance. These cameras were actively used through 1980 or so.

I live near San francisco CA. Is there a reliable , quality place to restore these gems. They may be worth a lot of money but they are priceless personal memories to me

Any Reference would be appreciated

Thanks

When my dad passed away a few years ago I inherited a 1938 Leica rangefinder and 2 lenses.

I also in herited a 1938 Leica (IIIa with Summar 50mm) from my father.

My father got it from his uncle.

The IIIa had a CLA and I use it from time to time.

rgs

Luc

Thankyou for the replies.

I found through other web sources the following (also highly recommended) repair site.

Sherry Krauter.com -- Home of the Golden Touch.   

I talked with Sherry over the phone. She helped me inspect the camera, check the lense, and check the shutter(s). She determined by serial number that my Leica was built in 1935. I feel very good about sending the camera to her for sanity check and/or repair. She wanted me to understand the eccentricities of cameras built in 1935. This is not your easy point and shoot. It is, however, a great classic camera. In the same way people restore classic cars, this one deserves a new life.