M8 in Economist

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Porsche Consulting is first rate. AFAIR they were founded after Porsche Management took a lesson in Japan @ Toyota in understanding how increased quality improves efficiency.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you follow the Porsche analogy then I sincerely hope they don't take the same initial route that Porsche did with the introduction of the 996 (911) model in 1999. A fantastic vehicle in terms of the shift from air-cooled to water cooled with all of the latest modern technology. However, the interior of the 1999-2001 cars was absolute junk - I know - I had a 2000 996 convertible and it had some of the cheapest, nastiest plastic buttons and controls that no Lexus engineer would EVER allow put in to a vehicle. Nasty, nasty, nasty - and the 2000/2001 models were MUCH better than the initial 1999's. I think the total cost for some of those parts must have totalled, oh I don't know, maybe $5. :D Only slowly did Porsche get around to matching materials for a quality product. (To be fair a few other manufacturers such a MB have been guilty of this too).

Dynamically - no problems at all :D

Much respect for Porsche consulting and design - nice to see that they're serious (Leica) about investing in fixing their processes and perhaps some of the design execution too.

Porsche Consulting are 'very good', but very expensive. Guess this is why that US car producers haven't used them. - Over there the managers run off with the proceeds anyway. Most likely, Porsche will end up with owning shares in Leica, - as a down payment, as they did with VW/Audi.

Link here, by the way: Porsche Consulting - The Performance Principle - Filosofia Porsche - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG

Porsche Consulting are 'very good', but very expensive. Guess this is why that US car producers haven't used them. - Over there the managers run off with the proceeds anyway. Most likely, Porsche will end up with owning shares in Leica, - as a down payment, as they did with VW/Audi.

Link here, by the way: Porsche Consulting - The Performance Principle - Filosofia Porsche - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG

Oh please! "very expensive" by what standard? They are not even top end. Rather they are "boutique", bless 'em. And as for the conspiracy theory about Porsche ending up owning shares... words fail me. :rolleyes:

Regards,

Bill

Oh please! "very expensive" by what standard? They are not even top end. Rather they are "boutique", bless 'em. And as for the conspiracy theory about Porsche ending up owning shares... words fail me. :rolleyes:

Regards,

Bill

There is no 'conspiracy' behind Porsche ending up with VW shares (well, it is quite a bit of it when considering it was so secret for all these years - if you follow the recent debate on industry ownership in Germany, these days ), but pure mathmatics. That was how they were payed - simply - for developing the Audi/VW branding and model program; possibly the most successful in the car industry in recent years.

- As a consultant with a large bill, was the way Kaufman got into an owner position in Leica too....

If you follow the Porsche analogy then I sincerely hope they don't take the same initial route that Porsche did with the introduction of the 996 (911) model in 1999. A fantastic vehicle in terms of the shift from air-cooled to water cooled with all of the latest modern technology. However, the interior of the 1999-2001 cars was absolute junk - I know - I had a 2000 996 convertible and it had some of the cheapest, nastiest plastic buttons and controls that no Lexus engineer would EVER allow put in to a vehicle. Nasty, nasty, nasty - and the 2000/2001 models were MUCH better than the initial 1999's. I think the total cost for some of those parts must have totalled, oh I don't know, maybe $5. :D Only slowly did Porsche get around to matching materials for a quality product. (To be fair a few other manufacturers such a MB have been guilty of this too).

Dynamically - no problems at all :D

Much respect for Porsche consulting and design - nice to see that they're serious (Leica) about investing in fixing their processes and perhaps some of the design execution too.

If it was a convertible it is likely that it was not produced at Porsche in Germany at all, but at Valmet Automotive at Uusikaupunki (Nystad), Finland.

Link here: Valmet Automotive Inc.

There is no 'conspiracy' behind Porsche ending up with VW shares (well, it is quite a bit of it when considering it was so secret for all these years - if you follow the recent debate on industry ownership in Germany, these days ), but pure mathmatics. That was how they were payed - simply - for developing the Audi/VW branding and model program; possibly the most successful in the car industry in recent years.

- As a consultant with a large bill, was the way Kaufman got into an owner position in Leica too....

Your "conspiracy" I was alluding to was Porsche Consulting being engaged by Leica and Porsche AG ending up with shares in Leica.

I won't even bother with the fantasies of the rest of your post.

Regards,

Bill

Oh please! "very expensive" by what standard? They are not even top end.

Simply by specifying their bill in Euros makes them quite a bit over the top for both US and British clients, these days, I am sure you agree. Those waiting for US or British car producers to pull a better consultant out of the hat just might fall asleep.

Your "conspiracy" I was alluding to was Porsche Consulting being engaged by Leica and Porsche AG ending up with shares in Leica.

I won't even bother with the fantasies of the rest of your post.

Regards,

Bill

...let's just wait and see...

Simply by specifying their bill in Euros makes them quite a bit over the top for both US and British clients, these days, I am sure you agree.

No. I don't agree. That's just plain nonsense.

I sell consultancy for a living. This is what I do. I have sold more than £10m-worth in the past few months. Do you think that is "expensive"..?

They are a boutique, bit player. They are not expensive in the real world, and billing in Euros makes not one jot of difference.

Regards,

Bill

No. I don't agree. That's just plain nonsense.

I sell consultancy for a living. This is what I do. I have sold more than £10m-worth in the past few months. Do you think that is "expensive"..?

They are a boutique, bit player. They are not expensive in the real world, and billing in Euros makes not one jot of difference.

Regards,

Bill

I buy consultancy favors for a living. (Oil business. I am not allowed to tell you the figures). The Euro has increased 56% to the dollar in 6 years - and 12% in three months to the Pound (correct me if I am wrong). That's factors to consider.