Sign in to follow this  
Hakku

M8 Upgrade programme ended?

John,

First, my reading skills are great, as proven by the others who have jumped into the argument.

You have dug a hole here. It appears the majority of the users did not read this massive promise that you seem to have read.

I'll be happy if Leica continues to support the M8 with firmware, software, and perhaps what ever upgrades are possible (SDHC maybe).

I don't buy cameras expecting them to last forever. I just want them to give me what I bought them for in the first place.

The litigation you discuss is something that is truly limited to the US society. The rest of the world looks at it a little differently.

DBK

Guest jimmy pro
Actually it was Shakespeare, Henry VI.

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers"

Act IV, scene 2

How much did Shakespeare's ex take him for ?

Interestingly none of you answered my multiple choice question. The same kind of question a lawyer might put to a jury. How do you think the jury would answer for the reasonable person?

In today's newspaper is a law suit by a toilet seat manufacturer against a Canadian toilet seat manufacturer for among other things false advertisement in making claims that their toilet seats were superior to or equal to the company's toilet seats. See what I mean?

How much did Shakespeare's ex take him for ?

Lets not get into his marital life

Interestingly none of you answered my multiple choice question. The same kind of question a lawyer might put to a jury. How do you think the jury would answer for the reasonable person?

In today's newspaper is a law suit by a toilet seat manufacturer against a Canadian toilet seat manufacturer for among other things false advertisement in making claims that their toilet seats were superior to or equal to the company's toilet seats. See what I mean?

Oh for goodness' sake.

John, if you do not understand the Doctrine of Reasonableness, please do not try to invoke it.

The man on the Clapham omnibus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Advertising copy is generally regarded as an Invitation to Treat, rather than an offer:

Invitation to treat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You are not obliged to buy.

This is a lot of hot air about nothing.

In fact, this:

Vexatious litigation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

...springs to mind.

Regards,

Bill

That is because multiple choice limits the answers. If my answer is not amongst your choices I won't answer. To the obvious question: I will be happy with it for a reasonable time into the future. If pressed for a period I would say at least five years for a digital camera. I already am close to two....

That is because multiple choice limits the answers. If my answer is not amongst your choices I won't answer. If I were in a jury I would neither.I don't think you would like to have me as a juror. To the obvious question: I will be happy with it for a reasonable time into the future. If pressed for a period I would say at least five years for a digital camera. I already am close to two....

Interestingly none of you answered my multiple choice question.

The right answer is "c" obviously - stupid question.

Leicas have been upgradeable for some time framelines being the one constant better image quality well it would be what I want but anew camera with improvements would be fine. I doubt anyone bought the camera because they thought it wold be full frame and lower noise. though that is what I want in a future camera. I just want the shutter upgrade to be better priced say 500 bucks .

I'm just happy to be using my lenses again!

Were you not using them at one point?

I sure hope not in lieu of waiting for a digital camera, they simply are not all that.

Some of these responses are a riot.

Bill for your first reference you cite a Wickepedia article that fails to cite any references and is applicable to UK jurisdictions by its own statement. Please. For the second you rely on the Wickepdia and cases from the 1700s. I hope you use these kinds of argument in court if you ever go against me as you will make me very wealthy indeed and then I can buy the M9.

Some of these responses are a riot.

Bill for your first reference you cite a Wickepedia article that fails to cite any references and is applicable to UK jurisdictions by its own statement. Please. For the second you rely on the Wickepdia and cases from the 1700s. I hope you use these kinds of argument in court if you ever go against me as you will make me very wealthy indeed and then I can buy the M9.

John,

I'm writing this slowly, in the hope you will understand. The world is comprised of approximately 6,000,000,000 - 6 Billion people. The USA is just 300,000,000 - 300 Million.

The world does not rotate around the USA. The USA's laws do not apply to the rest of the world. The USA's culture is not followed around the world.

If you want to sue over a $5,000 camera - do it. Frankly, I won't join you, and by the responses on this thread, most wouldn't do it.

You are missing the point.

DBK

I never said i would sue them so please read my posts before accusing me of something I specifically stated I would not be doing. It really doesn't matter if we are just a fraction of the world's population anymore than it mattered that David was a normal sized young man and Golliath was a giant. Our laws don't matter if you don't want to do business with us just as yours don't matter if we don't want to do business with you in your country. It is that way all over the world. However, given the size of our market and economy which dwarfs that of most countries or the entire EU so it would be hard for Leica to ignore this market even if it wanted to.

ALL I SAID WAS LEICA WAS OPENING ITSELF TO SUCH LAW SUITS THROUGH ITS INEPTNESS.

Finally, I have travelled through most of Europe, conducted business in parts of Europe and the Far East and it never ceases to amaze me how much of American culture has migrated to those locations so I don't know what you base your statement on. Look at the predominance of English as the language of business and even gasp diplomacy. But of course it has nothing to do with the migration of American culture or influence since we are so small a part of the world's population.

Somewhere I think you missed the point but that is OK!

P.S. you couldn't join in a U.S. class action law suit so you don't have to worry about it.

As a [Canadian born] American, it never ceases to amaze me that folks believe that there were no "English" speaking people who ever visited in Asia, the middle East, or any other part of the world--thus English being the "language of business"--before the rise of American culture and influence. How is it that Americans came to be English speaking, anyway? Did they invent it? I sometimes think that Americans may have been the inventors of ethnocentricity [although I know better].

Greetings from the home of perpetual litigation,

N.

Actually the French are the inventors of ethnocentricity.

Having been to Europe and the far East in the 60's. 70's, 80's, 90's and the 21st century I can tell you that English was not commonly spoken in most of those locations however, in the houses of ill repute it was a language of business.

I would say that it wasn't until the 90's and beyond that English started to become the dominant language of business and that was clearly due to the American influence.

I was recently in Helsinki at the invitation of the Finish government and I was having an over cocktail conversation with my host. I had noticed that many in Finland spoke English and that most signs were in English Swedish and Finish. I heard many people speaking in English. I asked him why. He informed me that English Swedish and Finish were taught in the schools but he had nearly forgotten all of his Swedish even though the country is right next door. He then proceeded to inform em that English was more important to them because is was the language of business and important to getting ahead in the job market.

While you might want to credit the british or the Canadians for this phenomenon I don't think you will find many believers.

I can't say I have any knowledge of the reasonableness (if that is even a word) of Leica being sued for this. I am not a lawyer, but what does reason have to do with it? In America, if someone can make a case, he/she can go to trial.

Last year in Washington DC, a judge sued his dry cleaner asking for 65 million dollars over a lost pair of pants (trowsers.) At play was a sign that said "Satisfaction Guaranteed."

You have to read it to believe it:

Marc Fisher - Judge Who Seeks Millions for Lost Pants Has His (Emotional) Day in Court - washingtonpost.com

He lost and had to pay the dry cleaner $1000 for their court costs.

Just remember that the same independent and creative spirit that makes America great is alive and well in our legal system. It seems that the rest of the world has a lot of catching up to do in this department. Give me Life, Liberty, and the Happiness that comes from the pursuit of my day in court... Now that's freedom.

Why do you think the device that covers a car windshield, to protect the dashboard from the sun while it's parked, has this warning on it? "Remove before driving."

JumpStart,

I hope you can take better pictures than your reading abilities might imply. LFI February/March issue: Page 34 article: "M8 Forever; Digital rangefinder photography with the Leica M system is now more timeless than ever. From this Summer on, owners of a Leica M8 will be able to upgrade their camera to keep it on the cutting edge of sizzling-hot body technology. The secrets of longevity: the M8 will soon be opened up to hardware upgrades. A modified shutter and unbreakable glass cover are just the beginning."

Just one of many articles including Leica's current web site making such a promise. Anyone making a purchase that relied on the promise is entitled to a breach of contract claim. This has nothing to do with treating it as an investment. And if you think people won't sue because it is just a camera then you better check out cell phone suits and Apple suits over iPods and just computers.

This may seem a little off-track but that silver M has got a black frame-lever