M8 Upgrade programme ended?

Hakku

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would like to think that some of my work, like that I cherish from both my fathers and grandfathers photographic endeavors, will survive me. So, no, I agree it won't make a difference to me personally in that time frame but I would like to feel more secure in the future of my storage systems now so that my heirs and successors won't be cursing me for not leaving some of my work in a future proof format, whatever that may be.

Don't you print your photographs then:confused:

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You were talking about future generations and remembering- If it comes to the negatives, digital files are eternal if you convert them to new formats in the far future, and can be copied lossless. Once Ansel Adams burned his negatives, hypothetically speaking, there would be only the prints - fading. Your files will be in a few other places. File formats have a long life - for instance BMP and TIFF are ancient, and DNG looks set for a long run.

You were talking about future generations and remembering- If it comes to the negatives, digital files are eternal if you convert them to new formats in the far future, and can be copied lossless. Once Ansel Adams burned his negatives, hypothetically speaking, there would be only the prints - fading. Your files will be in a few other places. File formats have a long life - for instance BMP and TIFF are ancient, and DNG looks set for a long run.

Yes, I have cherished photographs of my parents which were taken with an M4 and the transparencies scanned by Kodak and burnt to very early Gold Photo CD. The original Ektachrome slides have long since faded even though they were kept cool and in the dark. Fuji Crystal Archive prints from the digital files show all the original vibrancy I remember of the slides. Only thing lacking is detail in the shadows due to the limited dynamic range of the CCD scanners Kodak used.

Bob.

Just yesterday, I dumped my last remaining 5 1/4" disk drive into the recycling bin, so one digital format I can no longer use. Interesting how Windows continues to reserve A: and B: drives for obsolete formats.

Bob, I assume you have made backup copies of that CD...

Just yesterday, I dumped my last remaining 5 1/4" disk drive into the recycling bin, so one digital format I can no longer use. Interesting how Windows continues to reserve A: and B: drives for obsolete formats.

Bob, I assume you have made backup copies of that CD...

Oh yes, on Kodak Archival Gold CDs ... the ones that all the major arts institutions/museums snapped up before Kodak ceased production. There are now equivalents available from other sources such as Delkin Devices. I also converted the files to tiff since I'm not sure how much longer the PCD format will be supported.

Bob.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

File formats have a long life - for instance BMP and TIFF are ancient, and DNG looks set for a long run.

don't be naive, there is always the next best thing around the corner.

pict, tiff, dng, ???, ???,???,???

beta, vhs, laser disk, dvd, hd-dvd, ???

floppy, cassette, CD, DVD, Blue Ray, ???

don't be naive, there is always the next best thing around the corner.

pict, tiff, dng, ???, ???,???,???

beta, vhs, laser disk, dvd, hd-dvd, ???

floppy, cassette, CD, DVD, Blue Ray, ???

Are those file formats then? Do they respond to conversion programs?:confused: