M8 Upgrade programme ended?

Hakku

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Latest LFI just arrived.

Article from H. Sparr ("M8 with factory tuning") starts: "All that's left of the original Upgrade programme are the quieter shutter and the harder cover glass for the display".

That sounds very much like the end of the long-term upgrade programme before it actually started.

At the same time, Dr. Kaufmann announced a surprise for M-owners at photokina in an Interview with popPhoto, according to a thread in the customer forum.

Putting ends together, could this mean we will see a modified M8.2 or additional M body in September? What do you think?

Best, Horst

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For those interested, the link to the Pop Photo article: The Future of Leica - - PopPhotoMay 2008

Summary of the key points:

1. No full frame on the horizon.

2. Improvements to high ISO quality will happen slowly. Use fast lenses. Hint at expansion of fast lenses in more focal lengths.

3. [As original poster states] Future upgrades pretty much stop with new shutter and LCD glass.

4. Wait for Photokina: More lenses plus more M announcements. More news in July.

5. Possible future DSLR in non-four thirds format.

Putting ends together, could this mean we will see a modified M8.2 or additional M body in September? What do you think?

The exact words are "we will show something else significant for the M system". Based on his other comments, an additional M body seems to be more likely than an M8.2. I wouldn't place a bet either way though.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Latest LFI just arrived.

Article from H. Sparr ("M8 with factory tuning") starts: "All that's left of the original Upgrade programme are the quieter shutter and the harder cover glass for the display".

That sounds very much like the end of the long-term upgrade programme before it actually started.

Best, Horst

What else was there before? What has been dropped?

What else was there before? What has been dropped?

When the program was first announced, without specifying details, it was implied that sensor upgrades or other internal upgrades would be made available in the future. It seems that the only upgrades available for the M8 will be firmware, quieter shutter and replacement glass for the LCD.

So, the fast lens rumor is confirmed. Well, I hope I don’t regret my recent acquisition of a silver 24-Elmarit as being in vain!

Regards,:confused:

It was confirmed as a rumour yes.

The only way you'll ever regret buying the 24mm Elmarit is if you're an idiot. Trust me, it's spectacular.

It was confirmed as a rumour yes.

The only way you'll ever regret buying the 24mm Elmarit is if you're an idiot. Trust me, it's spectacular.

Trust me Steve, there are people who just dont understand, and are playing the effing numbers game and are hanging off for a summilux:D :D :D :D I have a hole in my numbers!!! Why wont Leica.......

Guest jimmy pro
even LFI are not very positive about the shutter/display glass upgrade.

to me this seems all a bit dissapointing as the upgrade path was more or less bogus ;)

I dunno if I'd go so far as to call it bogus. For $1495 (in the US) you'll get a scratch-proof LCD so you don't have to look thru a plastic film in order to protect it, and a new shutter that might be more reliable not just quieter, plus a general service and adjustment and an additional year of warranty on the entire camera not just the replacement screen and shutter.

even LFI are not very positive about the shutter/display glass upgrade.

to me this seems all a bit dissapointing as the upgrade path was more or less bogus ;)

I feel disappointing as well.

If the CCD (FF or better ISO) upgrade program is available, I will consider to upgrade the shutter & LCD glass as well. Otherwise, I don't see the reason to invest more on my M8.

:(

If I was Leica, the last thing I'd want would be to have several thousand M8s arriving on my door-step for re-work, even if on a scheduled basis in the run up to Photokina. The opportunity for bad publicity is huge if things don't go right.

Seems likely the upgrade program was conceived by Steven K Lee who rail-roaded the engineers into doing it. I think it will be quietly dropped at the first opportunity.

If I was Leica, the last thing I'd want would be to have several thousand M8s arriving on my door-step for re-work, even if on a scheduled basis in the run up to Photokina. The opportunity for bad publicity is huge if things don't go right.

Seems likely the upgrade program was conceived by Steven K Lee who rail-roaded the engineers into doing it. I think it will be quietly dropped at the first opportunity.

Mark, I think you nailed it...

Latest LFI just arrived.

At the same time, Dr. Kaufmann announced a surprise for M-owners at photokina in an Interview with popPhoto, according to a thread in the customer forum.

Best, Horst

You'll see an additional M in September. Think 35-50-75-90 frame lines and CL size body, originally targeted at $3K but now that the dollar has swan dived probably close in price to the original M8. The upgrade program is on "hold," probably forever. You full frame people need to sit back and take some deep breaths, its not gonna happen.

You'll see an additional M in September. Think 35-50-75-90 frame lines and CL size body...

If those frame lines you're predicting are in actual focal length and not 35mm field of view terms, I think the camera would not be nearly as appealing as it would be if it included a 28 frame. Given the sensor size in the M8, the 28mm lens has become the body cap for many of us and any camera which didn't include those frame lines is limited. It was the reason I didn't jump at the RD-1 when it was released. I wanted a DRF but didn't want my primary lens to have to use an external viewfinder.

... the 28mm lens has become the body cap for many of us and any camera which didn't include those frame lines is limited. It was the reason I didn't jump at the RD-1 when it was released...

I see what you mean i guess but just to avoid possible misunderstandings the R-D1 does have 28mm frame lines of course. Makes a 42mm FoV though.

BTW, due to its crop factor, it is hardly credible than the widest frame lines of the rumoured digital CL would be 35mm at all.