Battery charger By MacGyver!?!?!?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My neighboor tried the MacGyver's charger solution after my reading this thread...

I don't know if it worked faster than the original Leica one, but I had a lot of fun and my first lightening picture....:D :D

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

My neighboor tried the MacGyver's charger solution after my reading this thread...

I don't know if it worked faster than the original Leica one, but I had a lot of fun and my first lightening picture....:D :D

Ohhh NOOOO, He must have forgotten to place whole set-up in the controlled environment!!!! The post box!

This is just testing and something I do just to prove the point. And it worked. I am not suggesting for everyone to try.

Really, H&K batteries are fine! No problem at all. It was probably produced @ same factory anyway-. That` what they do In China these days. But they should make charger too!!!

I really love my M8 and M28/2.8! Super sharp Photos! I have tested night shot with Asa 640-1250-2500. Noise was not as bad as I thought but I used Noiseware and Noise ninja.

Noiseware works much better than ninja! But I coudn`t activate 1st one.

I love my M8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really love my M8 and M28/2.8! Super sharp Photos! I have tested night shot with Asa 640-1250-2500. Noise was not as bad as I thought but I used Noiseware and Noise ninja.

Noiseware works much better than ninja! But I coudn`t activate 1st one.

I love my M8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hm.. Your test shot as seen here could have been made with any camera. I an not sure Robert Capa would have been proud with this.

Hm.. Your test shot as seen here could have been made with any camera. I an not sure Robert Capa would have been proud with this.

Hello So subject I have picked was no good? What do u suggest? This place was close from my house,,,,,,!!!! Yes I am not pro- I just like cameras and also taking fotos!

Yeah Do u think robert capa would use M8 if he is around today? I love his photos! Yes I am Robert Capa and HCB fan! I love their works!

That, Sander, is true for just about any photograph reduced to a 900 pixel wide jpeg...;)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have put them together finally. And I to worked fine. I have used epoxy to form the shape of Leica battery. It looks little bit ugry but it does do the job and does it very very good. So I have now a spare battery charger.

oNE OF H&K BATTERY FAILED TO CHARGE PROPERLY WITH MACYVER CHARGER.

i HAVEN`T TRIED ORIGINAL ONE YET.

i HOPE BATTERY WAS FAULTY BUT NOT CHARGER(MCGYVER)!!!!

hOWEVER BATTERY HAS SUFFICIENT POWER TO RUN MP3 PLAYER. BUT WHEN I STICK IT IN THE M8 IT SHOWS VERY VERY LOW BATTERY CHARGE SYMBOL.

i DO`N KNOW WHERE I CAN GO FROM HERE NOW.:cool:

Could be that the info exchange between M8 voltage sensor and the battery is bad or dead: this happens also sometimes with genuine Leica battery and charger. Solution proposed in this forum was to leave the battery discharged completely in the M8 (cut automatic sleeping mode and leaving M8 on a full night). Then recharge the battery and see if the charge indicator works again.

BTW, I bought a Pentax D-BC7 and intend to experiment...:eek:

oNE OF H&K BATTERY FAILED TO CHARGE PROPERLY WITH MACYVER CHARGER.

i HAVEN`T TRIED ORIGINAL ONE YET.

i HOPE BATTERY WAS FAULTY BUT NOT CHARGER(MCGYVER)!!!!

hOWEVER BATTERY HAS SUFFICIENT POWER TO RUN MP3 PLAYER. BUT WHEN I STICK IT IN THE M8 IT SHOWS VERY VERY LOW BATTERY CHARGE SYMBOL.

i DO`N KNOW WHERE I CAN GO FROM HERE NOW.:cool:

My advice again:

-throw away all the junk

-stay with Leica batteries and charger exclusively

-and please disengage your capslock on the keyboard!

My advice again:

-throw away all the junk

-stay with Leica batteries and charger exclusively

-and please disengage your capslock on the keyboard!

Ahahahahah Sorry! FOR CAPS! :D

YES I will go get it Leica original if there are in stock! In mean time my trusted H&K ebayer is sending me another one for free! I bought 2 last time One of the are fine in fact better tha leica original(last 1.5 times longer)!!!!

Yes with charger I am sure Leica will make it smaller next time.

BTW: But Leica is good. My UV/IR cut filters arrived after 5days! Fedex!!!!!!!!! So good email communications too. I think their service is better or as good as Japanese one !

Could be that the info exchange between M8 voltage sensor and the battery is bad or dead: this happens also sometimes with genuine Leica battery and charger. Solution proposed in this forum was to leave the battery discharged completely in the M8 (cut automatic sleeping mode and leaving M8 on a full night). Then recharge the battery and see if the charge indicator works again.

BTW, I bought a Pentax D-BC7 and intend to experiment...:eek:

Don`t do it! If you want to damage your battery. unless u have cheap h&K battery.

Problem is, once you wrap up that cord and stick it in with your "smaller" (and riskier) charger you are back to the size (or more) of the original.

Ultimately the best design would be a compact wall plug unit with no cord (the US prongs could flip out). You could hump an extension cord then if needed.

I don't know, the M8 has enough testy electronics already to not want to mess about with cheap Chinese batteries and fudged up chargers.

• 1 month later...

Hello, I would like to confirm that charger works!

It was not working because of cheap china batteries. China ones did not work even with original charger. It did not charge or not fully charge or Lcd shows half full.

I have tried Leica original one today and it worked fine. It shows full on lcd.

I do not think it is so complicated. So I hope someone can make it for fun. I do not think there are enough demands for business people to involve.

Thank you.

Hello, I would like to confirm that charger works!

It was not working because of cheap china batteries. China ones did not work even with original charger. It did not charge or not fully charge or Lcd shows half full.

I have tried Leica original one today and it worked fine. It shows full on lcd.

I do not think it is so complicated. So I hope someone can make it for fun. I do not think there are enough demands for business people to involve.

Thank you.

With ALL aftermarket batteries you need to let them run down fully in the camera before recharging for them to register correctly with the M8 battery meter. That does NOT mean they are not full charged when you don't do this and place a freshly charge aftermarket battery in a M8. It's just the M8 doesn't see them as fully charged.

You will still get the same life out of them.

With ALL aftermarket batteries you need to let them run down fully in the camera before recharging for them to register correctly with the M8 battery meter. That does NOT mean they are not full charged when you don't do this and place a freshly charge aftermarket battery in a M8. It's just the M8 doesn't see them as fully charged.

You will still get the same life out of them.

People doing such experiments on a 5 k camera must somehow be either crazy, on weeds or well insured resp. maybe still in warranty period. I will stay with the leica charger.....

People doing such experiments on a 5 k camera must somehow be either crazy, on weeds or well insured resp. maybe still in warranty period. I will stay with the leica charger.....

YEP still Under warranty! But Pentax charger is as sophisticated as Leica one. It is like Canon or Nikon users using 3rd party charger because they have left their charger at hotel.

It is not experiment but If Leica M8 was more popular or Professional photographer`s choice, I am sure 3 rd party company will make charger to accommodate Leica batteries.

Hey I wish I do`nt have to do this, too. Leica charger is just way too big to carry. On my trip in EU, I had to carry number of chargers such as mobile phone, laptop, compact camera charger x 2, and Leica one was filling my 2/3 of charger bag!!!!

I really wish someone out there can built nice looking super compact charger for this camera please!!!