FWIW New Leica Lenses (Believe it Or not)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

the M9 cannot come a moment too soon.

I second the sentiment but couldn't help laughing at the word choice. Because the last thing I want from the M9 is an M8 repeat and I imagine our problems with the M8 are largely due to it being released quite a bit too soon-- i.e., before it was adequately debugged. I'm happy to wait for Leica to get it right this time!

David

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with you Terry. I'm done with buying Leica lenses for now. Leica need instead to sort out the body - focussing, FF, high ISO noise, framing accuracy, jpeg quality, shutter release feel, <your favourite gripe> and all the rest. IMHO, the M9 cannot come a moment too soon.

I agree an M9 which resolves many outstanding issues would be the ticket....

Best. Terry.

Little secret . The booth is 3 times what it was 2 years ago. More space for something and it ain't printers. LOL

Something is up but it is so tight lipped i can't tell you even there reps don't know for sure.

Honestly I hope it is a kick-ass DSLR and they are taking their time on a digital M full frame that resolves the many challenges of the beautiful and talented M8 (sort of D3 D300 strategy). That all said I hope they find away to keep the M8 updated as previously indicated - I have a great deal of trust that Leica wants to stay in the game. I am not to worried about new lenses.

The M8 is a good camera - and a good FIRST digital M, getting better with each firmware update. I enjoy using what I have and I am not likely to stop using the M8 anytime soon.

Best to all. Terry.

I agree with Mark Norton.

Leica can fill several holes with cheaper wide-angles.

I think the M8 willl be revised with some kind of CMOS sensor made by Kodak.

that Would be very welcoming news!!! EVEN Though I just bought a M8 on Last Friday!!!!

I will wait for up grade after 2 years.

I'm surprised to see all the Photokina news popping up this early in the year. While it's fun reading all the comments you all know that those "in the know" are probably busy beta testing (if there is anything coming up at all :D ) and are also bound by NDAs... And as far as Seal is concerned, he is too busy falling in love again with his Noctilux (the current version, please don't read into it) and a pretty cool Titan M7 set he just acquired.

Cheers,

Guest guy_mancuso
Honestly I hope it is a kick-ass DSLR and they are taking their time on a digital M full frame that resolves the many challenges of the beautiful and talented M8 (sort of D3 D300 strategy). That all said I hope they find away to keep the M8 updated as previously indicated - I have a great deal of trust that Leica wants to stay in the game. I am not to worried about new lenses.

The M8 is a good camera - and a good FIRST digital M, getting better with each firmware update. I enjoy using what I have and I am not likely to stop using the M8 anytime soon.

Best to all. Terry.

It will certainly be interesting to see what falls from the tree. But my bet it will go across there whole line of offerings too. From The D-Lux up . I would love to see a DSLR and a improved M9 with FF and 16 to 18 mpx. The DSLR has to be special too make it though. Lot's of great new Nikons out there and I am sure Canon will be improving a new line also. Actually this would be a good Photokinia to go too. I think we will see a lot of new gear from everyone and that is good for the end users. Not sure I can afford anymore with 3 systems but I still want improvements to come in the industry as a whole.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I hope that Leica's main focus at Photokina 2008 is on products that are more, not less-affordable, because I'm starting to feel price-fatigued. But maybe even fast wideangles can be made more manageable if they're optimized for the smaller APS-H sensor as used in the M8, not a 24x36mm frame.

50/0.95? Not without a higher-magnification rangefinder!

I won't go back and find the quote button from the first page, but as to the size of a 21 f/1.4 or 24 f/1.4:

The front element of the current 21 f/2.8 is about twice the size of the front element of the current 28 f/2.8. So imagine a 28 f/1.4, and then double the diameter for the size of the 21 f/1.4.

The f-number is the focal length divided by the aperture opening at the middle of the lens, not the diameter of the front element, which has to be much larger for a wide-angle lens (even non-retrofocus designs - check out a Superangulon for a view camera some time) since it has to see "sideways" as well as straight ahead in order to cover that wide angle.

A 21 f/1.4 would need a front element twice the diameter of the current 21 f/2.8 (1.4 * 2 = 2.8) assuming other things stay mostly equal (e.g. it still covers a 35mm frame for film use and the image quality and vignetting stay about the same).

Next - The Summarit line is lenses that avoid the high-cost ASPH and APO optics and give pretty good performance. No reason there can't be an 18mm f/2.5 Summarit that is less perfect than the 21 ASPH, but performs fairly well, especially on the cropped M8.

For maximum quality (especially in the corners and/or on film) you pay for the 21 - for decent quality (or better on the M8) you pay less.

What I KNOW is that as of last fall Leica was officially predicting well over a dozen new lenses were in the works for this year. Now, those may be for the D3 (although I doubt it - I think Leica is going to cut their losses in 4/3rds), or they may be for the R-whatever (including maybe an AF line), or they could be for the M's - or a mix.

I'm more interested in what they announce - officially - at PK because it will give some guidance on the timing of a full-frame M digital.

If there are a lot of new M lenses that tend to play to the cropped M8 format - 16s, 17s, 18s, faster 24, etc. - that will tell me the full-frame body is years away. The M8 is gonna be king of the hill for quite a while, and the lens lineup is being tilted to favor it.

If any new M lenses tend to emphasize the traditional range - a new 75 f/1.4 ASPH, a new Noct, - OR - if the new lenses replace existing wides with the same aperture, but larger and with a more SLR-like digitally friendly design:

then a full-frame M digital may be pretty close, but may be in some ways a new system, that can use pre-2008 normals and teles, but REQUIRES new lenses below 35mm (or thereabouts) to avoid vignetting.

I've got several sources hinting at a less expensive entry M body (including Dr. Kaufmann, if one reads his comments closely) - as others have said, I'm not sure how much one could simplify from the M8 - but a smaller cheaper RF/VF from Japan (same one Cosina buys for it's cams, with manual 28/35/50/75 frames), a polycarbonate/rubber body instead of brass, plastic doors for batteries instead of the metal bottom plate, no free IR filters included, smaller buffer, cheaper 1/2000 shutter, etc. etc.)

...you all know that those "in the know" are probably busy beta testing (if there is anything coming up at all :D ) and are also bound by NDAs...

Exactly, and anyone bound by a NDA wouldn't even be able to say that they know what's in the pipeline, let alone say what's actually coming.

Best to wait and see.

I would love to see a DSLR and a improved M9 with FF and 16 to 18 mpx.

I'd doubt that Leica had the resources to design a new digital rangefinder and SLR at the same time - together with a supposed bevy of new lenses. I'd expect the SLR at this Photokina and the replacement for the M9 in 18-24 months.

I have heard that Leica will supply a new type of crystal ball. It will only be supplied to authorized dealers and internet gurus and will cost 9.998,-- Euro. It will be optimized for predicting Leica releases, but needs a filter, as yet unspecified, to be accurate....

Guest guy_mancuso
I'd doubt that Leica had the resources to design a new digital rangefinder and SLR at the same time - together with a supposed bevy of new lenses. I'd expect the SLR at this Photokina and the replacement for the M9 in 18-24 months.

That maybe true Steve but we need to remember also ,not everything needs to come out of Solms. They still have there Portugal plant that does all the casings and such but we do need to remember Dr. Kaufman has other companies that support the Leica camera division. So there network has grown a lot more than when the M8 came out. Not sure that will mean anything though but they have grown outside the box per say. Honestly nothing would surprise me on what they release. But there is no talk from Leica and we won't hear of any either. Maybe August things will start leaking out as they get ready for the show.