FWIW New Leica Lenses (Believe it Or not)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the R10 does not show at photokina, then I will go to the D3 Nikon. I just cannot get my hands around the Canon line.

But will keep my R8 and my R lenses to do film when i can afford it. ;-) Love those R lenses, sure wish they could be used on the Nikons.

Gene

pride can be expensive, it is not how much leica is earning from the R line, it is how much they are losing, and how longer they are willing and indeed able to keep this second front.

pride can be expensive, it is not how much leica is earning from the R line, it is how much they are losing, and how longer they are willing and indeed able to keep this second front. pride can be expensive, it is not how much leica is earning from the R line, it is how much they are losing, and how longer they are willing and indeed able to keep this second front.

I'm not sure pride has anything to do with it. The R line has always been the Black Sheep of the Leica line. The Leica public just has never accepted them, "A real Leica is a M", and would rather go to Nikon or Canon for SLRs. Due to this the development has suffered as far as bodies, however the lenses are excellent in my experience. I constantly get people asking what lens I used for a photo, even at the processor. They are a step above the N & C lines.

Gene

Guest guy_mancuso
I think those dealer folks are as close to Leica as it can get, sometimes a lot closer than you think you are.

Not saying there not but there not getting info yet . It is just too soon and anything they get is most likely suggestions and wish lists stuff.

pride can be expensive, it is not how much leica is earning from the R line, it is how much they are losing, and how longer they are willing and indeed able to keep this second front.

Apart from customers (:)), I doubt that Leica are losing much on the R line at the moment. If you want to buy a new lens, it has to be ordered, so I expect that it has to be made to order too.

I believe that they stopped making R9s some months ago, and therefore have a stock holding charge against them, but I doubt that they would sell them at a loss.

Investment in a possible R10, and new lenses isn't a loss either.

I'm not sure pride has anything to do with it. The R line has always been the Black Sheep of the Leica line. The Leica public just has never accepted them, "A real Leica is a M", and would rather go to Nikon or Canon for SLRs. Due to this the development has suffered as far as bodies, however the lenses are excellent in my experience. I constantly get people asking what lens I used for a photo, even at the processor. They are a step above the N & C lines.

Gene

Zeiss Contarex, Contax, Zeiss Nikon F mount transformation is a much better business idea.

Yes, I know some of the R lens are good, the same is true for Nikon or Canon.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well having close ties with Leica when someone actually tells me than i will believe it. These rumors are more suggestions that have been passed than actually product that will be delivered. Now no offense against any dealer folks but for god sakes they are selling product. They want you to get excited about new product. LOL

Seriously I have heard nothing and no one else will hear anything until Photokinia is right on our doorstep. Than some info will most likely leak but until than it's a wish list. There is a saying Show me the money and it holds true here.

without wishing to cause offence, it just sounds like you don't like the idea that others might know something before you do

there are rumours but then there are people who know people, who know people, who might actually be making these lenses right now and handling them with their very own hands AND LOOKING AT THEM WITH THEIR OWN EYES... its no longer rumour then or a 'wish-list', its fact, its inside information

Guest guy_mancuso
without wishing to cause offence, it just sounds like you don't like the idea that others might know something before you do

there are rumours but then there are people who know people, who know people, who might actually be making these lenses right now and handling them with their very own hands AND LOOKING AT THEM WITH THEIR OWN EYES... its no longer rumour then or a 'wish-list', its fact, its inside information

No offense taken and I really don't care if someone knew way before me, honestly I don't but unless it comes DIRECTLY from Leica executives that make the decisions to build than i will not buy into any of these rumors.

No offense taken and I really don't care if someone knew way before me, honestly I don't but unless it comes DIRECTLY from Leica executives that make the decisions to build than i will not buy into any of these rumors.

Guy,

Exactly, until they are announced on the Leica website or elsewhere with a SKU number it is speculation and wishful thinking. However, as much fun as this can be and it is fun, it remains speculation. That said I am totally done buying Leica lenses including a 50mm .95 .90 or .85 (whatever it may or may not be) or <smile> a 21mm F1.4.

I guess this puts me in the ' or not' column.

Best to all. Terry.

I'm with you Terry. I'm done with buying Leica lenses for now. Leica need instead to sort out the body - focussing, FF, high ISO noise, framing accuracy, jpeg quality, shutter release feel, <your favourite gripe> and all the rest. IMHO, the M9 cannot come a moment too soon.

I'm with you Terry. I'm done with buying Leica lenses for now.

the M9 cannot come a moment too soon.

Agreed. Except for a recent move from the 28/2.8 to the 28/2.0, I've been all set for a year, and was able to find what I needed before the dollar crashed. So if Leica's strategy is founded on getting additional investment out of folks like us, it will take an M9. (0r an M8 FF upgrade.)

scott

Guy,

Exactly, until they are announced on the Leica website or elsewhere with a SKU number it is speculation and wishful thinking.

If the rumour came from someone at the factory who has just packed up a box load of 24 1.4's then its not wishful thinking is it ? Its fact.

these 'rumours are just that, rumours" responses are so pompous and tiresome, can't you guys think of something more creative to say ?

If the rumour came from someone at the factory who has just packed up a box load of 24 1.4's then its not wishful thinking is it ? Its fact.

It may or may not be a fact, but this is the old tree falling in the forest problem from philosophy; it's also the hermetic mystery of a secret society.

Until your rumor can can be confirmed independently, I will side with the scientists and treat the information as provisional and dubious.

A report of something which cannot be observed is no more credible that the individual doing the reporting; we judge credibility by past reliability and present access to information.

Your individual is unnamed, so his past reliability and present access are unknown and unknowable - hence his credibility is low. This doesn't mean he's wrong; it just means we'll believe it when we see it, or hear it from someone we have a good reason to trust.

Guest guy_mancuso

Exactly , now if i said there is something because you guys know me well enough not to pull your chain and have trust in me that is one thing or anybody we know well enough to trust. But unnamed sources are like a ghost and may or may not be standing next to you. Not saying what the rumor is not good like some of the lenses mentioned but right now nothing is confirmed from a even reliable source that we may know. We been down this road so many times in the past with all the OEM's and frankly it is not worth with thinking about.

Guest guy_mancuso
Well, after all these speculations, I simply hope for Leica they won't go to Photokina with just a pair of new Panasonic - made compacts...:)

Little secret . The booth is 3 times what it was 2 years ago. More space for something and it ain't printers. LOL

Something is up but it is so tight lipped i can't tell you even there reps don't know for sure.