FWIW New Leica Lenses (Believe it Or not)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I purchased a Elmarit-M 24mm lens today and the salesman mentioned that Leica would be coming out with some new lenses next year including :eek: :

• F1.4 21mm & 24mm
  • F.95 50mm

He also mentioned that the rep indicated that M9 was to be next year, but knowing Leica, the salesman figured that would translate into 2 years from now.

In the meantime, I'll just enjoy my new lens:D , which may result in the Zeiss Biogon 28mm not seeing too much action in the near future:( .

Cheers

Rob

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does that salesman accept ORDERS for them ? 21 f1,4 should be a fine move... but I'd be curious to know its weight... and all of us know that, someday, Leica has to solve the "Noctilux issue" ; well, these speculations of "well-informed people" are a pleasant diversion... :) Kaufmann, oh You that avidly read this forum, tell us the supreme truth, even in obscure form !!!

Go figure, by the time any of this becomes reality I’ll be done with lens purchasing. The M8 along with my silver 50-lux and silver 24-Elmarit (on deposit) will likely be it for me. When the 24’ arrives, I’ll bag up my camera and lenses and have DAG do the work that Leica should have done. Because I’m glutton for punishment, I’ll opt for the updates as well. Beyond that, I doubt I’ll go any further.

Regards,:rolleyes:

Go figure, by the time any of this becomes reality I’ll be done with lens purchasing. The M8 along with my silver 50-lux and silver 24-Elmarit (on deposit) will likely be it for me. When the 24’ arrives, I’ll bag up my camera and lenses and have DAG do the work that Leica should have done. Because I’m glutton for punishment, I’ll opt for the updates as well. Beyond that, I doubt I’ll go any further.

Regards,:rolleyes:

:)

I suspect that part of their business plan is to build new things that will entice those with a complete kit to buy yet more gear. :)

I think your HK saleman should go and lie down in a darkened room. If a 21/1.4 were feasible, it would be huge and hugely expensive. Even a 24/1.4 would block the viewfinder and, as we know, the FrankenFinder doesn't support it on an M8.

If a fast wide angle solution is what you are looking for, a 28/1.4 and Full Frame makes more sense. That's what I have on my Nikon D3 and it's equivalent to this mythical 21/1.4 on an M8.

Leica lens prices tend to increase by 80%, say, per f-stop so that would put a 24/1.4 at about $15000 or £7500. What we don't know is whether the new manufacturing methods employed in the Summarits would translate to lower costs for one of the "premium" lenses also.

Instead, my hopes rest on the M9 being FF and also the camera the M8 should have been all along.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I heard the same, almost certainly from a different source, but four asph lenses - not three. I also heard they will be expensive, and large. IMHO if they could sell new noctiluxes for the M8, they should have no problem selling the 21/24 1.4's.

I agree that these fast lenses would be huge, in price as well as size. The set of rumors I have heard, from a source that has been correct before, is that the range of Summarits will be expanded, including an 18mm, and these will be unveiled at Photokina along with a "simplified" M8 for the "general market". Not quite sure how you simplify the M8, but I'm just passing it on. My source says an R10 will not appear at this Photokina, so I guess I'll be giving some more business to Canon!

I for one would love an 18mm Summarit. Have considered the Zeiss 18 but think that f4 is too slow for the places I find myself wanting a wider lens: indoors. And I agree that I can't really see how the M8 can be simplified without really reducing the spec.

This goes back to whether you think "Summarit" means "Value Range" or "f2.5".

If you think it means "Value", it's going to have to be slower than the 21mm Elmarit if you also want it to be cheaper - something like a WATE design with the complexity/compromises of variable focal length removed. It you think it means "f2.5", it too is going to be bigger and more expensive than a 21mm Elmarit - somwhere between that lens and a Leica version of the Zeiss Distagon.

I purchased a Elmarit-M 24mm lens today and the salesman mentioned that Leica would be coming out with some new lenses next year including :eek: :

• F1.4 21mm & 24mm
  • F.95 50mm

He also mentioned that the rep indicated that M9 was to be next year, but knowing Leica, the salesman figured that would translate into 2 years from now.

In the meantime, I'll just enjoy my new lens:D , which may result in the Zeiss Biogon 28mm not seeing too much action in the near future:( .

Cheers

Rob

I heard the same and that the new lenses would weight 115 grams each and be 35mm of length, all thanks to completely revolutionary materials and manufacturing technologies. Yes, and my sources were completely unreliable in the past.

With the current lens formula I doubt very much there would be a working summilux shorter than the 35. The 35LuxASPH is pretty edgy anyway. Maybe if they revert to older lux characteristics, or a total rethink. Then there is till the size, cost factor, and manufaccure tolerance v focus issues, that will probably kybosh it. Why not just work on a snappier sensor with effective iso.

That a 0.95 50mm is large is obvious as you need a 52.5 mm diameter front lens (at least), so about 60-65 mm lens-barrel would make sense. For comparison the 1.0 Noctilux has a 60mm filter.

I see no obvious reason however why 1.4 wide angles neccesarily have to be large. A f1.4 21mm would need an about 30 mm front element and F1.4 24mm about 35mm. This changes if you use a retrofocus design like in the WATE but still.

Comments anyone?

Guest guy_mancuso

Well having close ties with Leica when someone actually tells me than i will believe it. These rumors are more suggestions that have been passed than actually product that will be delivered. Now no offense against any dealer folks but for god sakes they are selling product. They want you to get excited about new product. LOL

Seriously I have heard nothing and no one else will hear anything until Photokinia is right on our doorstep. Than some info will most likely leak but until than it's a wish list. There is a saying Show me the money and it holds true here.

Leica does not need to make a 24 1.4 unless you want to spend 4800 to get one. A 24mm F2 at a much better price will sell a lot more. There trying to make lenses cheaper to buy to get folks into the system not exclude them. No chance in hell I would spend 4800 on a 24 1.4. There is a breaking point to spend money on this stuff . I just used that price as a example.

so have you heard anything from Leica?

do expect some new lens from Leica, whether it is f1.4 or not, might not be as many as 14 new lens as has been suggested from below, but 3-4 new lens is not that unbelievable, right?

Leica Angst and the departure of Steven Lee (february 23 2008) | Photography and image capture: the Leica technique and philosophy by Erwin Puts | Erwin Puts

Guest guy_mancuso

I am sure you will see stuff from Leica but you will not hear about it until Photokinia . It is just that tight lipped. Nothing is coming out of Leica's mouth and some new lenses would not surprise me at all but It's May and Photokinia is months off. The only thing from now till than is normal firmware updates as usual but we will not see or hear anything until they can make a huge splash at Photokinia . That is Leica' show to do anything and last time they took over the show with the M8 . Look for a repeat.

My source says an R10 will not appear at this Photokina, so I guess I'll be giving some more business to Canon!

If the R10 does not show at photokina, then I will go to the D3 Nikon. I just cannot get my hands around the Canon line.

But will keep my R8 and my R lenses to do film when i can afford it. ;-) Love those R lenses, sure wish they could be used on the Nikons.

Gene

The only thing from now till than is normal firmware updates as usual but we will not see or hear anything until they can make a huge splash at Photokinia . That is Leica' show to do anything and last time they took over the show with the M8 . Look for a repeat.

Well I hope they show something interesting since I will be there, R10? But on your other suggestion... Any hint on when the next firmware update will hit and what it will be?

Gene