LEICA ANNOUNCEMENT: New Leica Products - LEICA M8 / M System

daniel

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The M8 looks great because it is true to the canon of M.

The 28f2.8 Elmarit is built for the M8.

But the coup must be the 16-18-21,A DREAM COME TRUE, for which I will proceed with a deposit ASAP i.e. Monday. No MTF,NO tests ,No nothing...

There is ann interesting discussion going on here amongst pro photographers.

http://www.lightstalkers.org/the_leica_m8___a_mistake

It gives an idea about what the general market which might not use Leica every day think of it. As far as I can tell, what seperates EVERYBODY from buying one, is considerations about the price.

Looks like the same usual Internet bullshit to me with some savvy people lost in the middle of it.

I read the exact same remarks by the exact same kind of people, i.e. the ones who talk without testing, without knowing and even without thinking, about the DMR, a few years ago. The DMR finally appeared, it is a nice camera with superlative image quality, the owners are happy and Leica sold as many as planned. Strangely enough, this was not the predictions of the average Internet self-appointed expert of the market.

There is ann interesting discussion going on here amongst pro photographers.

Lightstalkers :: The Leica M8 - A Mistake?

It gives an idea about what the general market which might not use Leica every day think of it. As far as I can tell, what seperates EVERYBODY from buying one, is considerations about the price.

This a very interesting discussion as most of the people are talking about the same issues we have been talking about. Its pretty clear the pros know what a Leica is. In fact, a lot of them are owners who would love for a digital model to appear so they could use their lenses. I was encouraged by the generally supportive attitude to rangefinders in general. Most of these people knew the issues.

That being said, not many were willing to go out and plunk down 5K for a camera body. But give it time.

Rex

Thank you. Carl may not have liked it but I'm glad that you did. I did not have an appropriate flash at hand to do any flash testing but I suspect that one can manually fire a studio flash without a pre-flash. Does anyone know?

I also didn't use the car charger accessory but I believe it plugs into the charger itself.

I don't have a 21 right now and I haven't tried one on the M8. Someone on the forum, must have, however.

Cheers,

Sean

The 21 works on the M8 somewhat better than the 24 does on the .72 bodies, in my opinion. It really depends on personal eye relief, glasses, how far you can comfortably push them up on your nose, etc.

I tried all focal lengths from 12 through 135 except 24/25 while I had the M8.

Henning

Looks like the same usual Internet bullshit to me with some savvy people lost in the middle of it.

I read the exact same remarks by the exact same kind of people, i.e. the ones who talk without testing, without knowing and even without thinking, about the DMR, a few years ago. The DMR finally appeared, it is a nice camera with superlative image quality, the owners are happy and Leica sold as many as planned. Strangely enough, this was not the predictions of the average Internet self-appointed expert of the market.

Why is it that we don't see the same kind of nonsense with regard to cars, for example? Why is this particular camera a target?

Somewhere I have an M6 ERC and I wonder if anyone can say if it would house the M8. I appreciate that the viewing screen would be obscured if fitted whilst being used but I am sure a competent leather worker could modify it if required.

I have a couple of these and they fit the M cameras quite snugly. If the M8 is thicker, it isn't going to make it. As it happens, I ordered the new ERC for the M8.

I just ordered one. I hope my wife doesn't subscribe here! I have used M6's for years in crime scenes. Once I was photographing a morgue shot when a very young USAF 2nd Lt asked where was my real camera! LOL. I'm thru doing that line of work, but may try weddings with the 8. Great job Leica! jh

The old 28mm Elmarit was an old design, the only lens below the 50mm 2 and 2.8 which was not ASPH so it was time for a new design. Leica also needed to offer a lens at entry level pricing which was a more natural choice for the M8 compared to the 50mm which is a bit long as a starter lens.

The last 28/2.8 pre-asph was very good indeed but it had the same size and weight as the 28/2 and its price was higher than that of the new 28/2.8 asph.

If 1300 euro is the actual price of the latter it is quite a bargain IMHO.

Now it will be a high contrast lens like other asph lenses, most probably, so jpeg users would be wise to think twice if they intend to use it on a digital camera.

The dynamic range of the M8 will be wider than that of the R-D1 for sure but the difference won't be huge i presume so jpeg users could well be faced to blown highlights problems if the new 28/2.8 proves as contrasty as the 28/2 or the like.

Just a guess...

The 21 works on the M8 somewhat better than the 24 does on the .72 bodies, in my opinion. It really depends on personal eye relief, glasses, how far you can comfortably push them up on your nose, etc.

I tried all focal lengths from 12 through 135 except 24/25 while I had the M8.

Henning

Hi Henning

could you expand more on how the 21 works on the M8. I've got the 21 pre asph 21 but I'm thinking about a 24 for film (M6 .72) and M8 so any experiences with the 24 I'd like to hear. Thanks.

Nik

Glad to hear that my CV lenses will work. Just hope someone comes out with screw mount adapters with the 6 bit encoding to match the CV lenses.

I see no reason why CV shouldn't be machining these right now. What a good idea! (After reflection in a more sober moment I realise there are probably patent issues involved.)

Chris