Leica Lens Caps...

KM-25

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am completely fed up with them.

Every time I don't want to use the large shades on my 28/2 and 35/1.4 I have to use the lousy over sized flat caps that never stay on. Well last night while shooting, the cap flew off my 35 never to be seen again. And to make matters worse, something might have made a mark on the front of the lens.

I have had it with these SH_T caps, any suggestions for pro shooting via another cap?

The Leica 46mm flat cap is the worst designed lens cap I have ever used. It is the only one that is wider than the O/D of the lens it goes on making it catch on EVERYTHING!!!!

Man this pisses me off!

if you're not interested in putting filters in front of your lenses, then just keep the lens hood on whenever shooting. in most instances, the hood will keep things from touching the lens.

and in any case the front element is usually pretty durable and less costly to repair than say, marking the rear elements.

I don't like leaving the rect. hood on my 35/2 asph cron, at least the way I store my kit, so I take the hood off and gently put a 42 14268 cap on which is some kind of rubbery nylon.

However, pushing this cap on too tight is unnecessary, so I just put it on with enough pressure to completely cover the front from dust, etc.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I totally agree with you. I sure miss the old style push on caps. I also don't like the new hoods with holes in them. The rectangular cap does keep out all the dust then.

I haven't looked around to see if there are workable options.

I am completely fed up with them.

Every time I don't want to use the large shades on my 28/2 and 35/1.4 I have to use the lousy over sized flat caps that never stay on. Well last night while shooting, the cap flew off my 35 never to be seen again. And to make matters worse, something might have made a mark on the front of the lens.

I have had it with these SH_T caps, any suggestions for pro shooting via another cap?

The Leica 46mm flat cap is the worst designed lens cap I have ever used. It is the only one that is wider than the O/D of the lens it goes on making it catch on EVERYTHING!!!!

Man this pisses me off!

I also hate .... most .....Leica caps and shade caps. The first day out with an ASPH 35 'cron I returned to the house without the rubber shade cap. The 35 asph shade cap is also prone to drop off easily.

The all time .. worst cap (easiest to lose) ....... is the new current 50 'cron plastic cap. It has to clip to the filter which is not so great.

Push on caps would be better if there were no UV/IR filters.

I think some homemade elasticized hood of sorts..... in soft leather ..... I will have to think this out a bit.

I don't like leaving the rect. hood on my 35/2 asph cron, at least the way I store my kit, so I take the hood off and gently put a 42 14268 cap on which is some kind of rubbery nylon.

However, pushing this cap on too tight is unnecessary, so I just put it on with enough pressure to completely cover the front from dust, etc.

My solution: Use the metal hood 12549 (does not vignette on the M8, even on the Elmarit 28 asph) and the classic metal lens cap 14268. The lens caps are available as good quality copies on E-bay, for next to nothing.The caps fit both the hood and the m39 lenses, with or without filter.

don't use zeiss there are even worse... you can't even get them off !

i never use any of the shades and it p1sses me off that they are all different designs (21, 28cron, 35 lux etc..)

there is a hong kong place on ebay that conveniently sells caps for 50 pence a go and they function as well as anything else. I also have a habit of putting the lens cap in my right trouser pocket immediately after I take it off and replacing it just as soon as the lens comes off the body so I have never lost one yet.

Guest guy_mancuso

I use metal screw in hoods on some of my lenses that I get on e-bay and don't use any caps. Not a big fan of leica's lens hoods on the 28 cron and 21 elmarit . The 35 cron I just used the hood and no cap.

My solution: Use the metal hood 12549 (does not vignette on the M8, even on the Elmarit 28 asph) and the classic metal lens cap 14268. The lens caps are available as good quality copies on E-bay, for next to nothing.The caps fit both the hood and the m39 lenses, with or without filter.

This is a compelling suggestion. Can you link a pointer to an appropriate cap on ebay? I did a search but wasn't sure which ones were correct.

Why dont you do this. When I am traveling I never use a camera bag. Dust, motor cycles, bus roofs, rain, no problems, front element or the moving parts.

Too attention getting, I must use a small cap in the case I am describing, it simply has the lowest attention getting value and heck, I use caps with every lens I own out of some 27, Leica should not be any different at $3,000++ per lens. The cameras fit in smaller places to carry a lot better with just a cap...if they did not catch on something and fly off and bounce down the street.

Even with a filter on, I still prefer the option of a cap when in transit. It's just the way I do things I since it is so common with all my other systems, I am baffled why this is so hard to accomplish with the Leica system....

It's not to much to ask for, really. Especially considering how much this gear costs.

Next....