tripod recommendations?

fishblimp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

its expensive, but i HIGHLY recommend the Gitzo 1550T Traveller 6x carbon fiber.

most stable tripod in its size/class/weight in my opinion.

(I wonder how the 1550T compares to the 1540T next to eachother--when i was purchasing, they only had the 1550T on demo to actually try it out) seems the 1540 would be even more sturdy though giving up a few inches in height.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you're looking to not spend a lot of money and just have one around, I bought a Silk Sprint Pro GM for less than $100. It weighs less than 2 pounds, comes with a very basic ball head and gets small enough to fit in my (small) daypack when I'm out hiking. I just got back from a trip to dominica & it was perfect for taking pictures of waterfalls, for example. You can screw a hook into the column and hang your backpack from it for extra weight, too. I don't need a tripod a lot, and I definitely don't need a high end one, so I'm quite happy with it!

I too went with the Silk Sprint Pro GM. It is solid, quick to set up, light weight and fits in a travel carry-aboard suitcase taking little space. I put a slightly larger ball head (Silk SBH 120) though I probably didn't need to. It goes tall enough so you don't have to bend down to look through the range finder too. Maybe not as good as a Gitzo but good enough for occasional use and less than $100.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For a table-top tripod, the Manfrotto 345 outfit (including extension piece and case) is excellent (code 345 in the UK, though the US Bogen code is probably different).

Full size, I've got a carbon fibre Manfrotto 055MF4, which is very good. Heads depend crucially on intended application - I do a lot of architecture, so I've got the 410 junior geared head, but your choice would probably be very different.

I would say that, when you've got the head on the tripod, the weight difference between aluminium and carbon fibre maybe isn't as much as you might think, but I'd still go for carbon fibre because, as already mentioned earlier, it's got superior vibration damping properties.

For a table-top tripod, the Manfrotto 345 outfit (including extension piece and case) is excellent (code 345 in the UK, though the US Bogen code is probably different).

Manfrotto 345 = Manfrotto 3007 in the US. Great for that small table tripod plus you can also use it to prop against a wall or pillar if you're out and about.

Gitzo is owned by Manfrotto.

The cheapest way to buy a tripod / head is to buy the right one first and once. Before learning this, I developed a 'tripod graveyard' at home. I can't even give them away.

For Leica's and SLR's, I usually use a gitzo 1257 with RRS BH-40 head. It is very light, and more than strong enough. The current equivalent Gitzo number would be 25nn. I have travelled with heavier tripods and end up not using them.

When using panorama rigs ( I use RRS ) which are cantilevered, I go to a larger Gitzo 3530s with acratech levelling base. A Markins M-20 ballhead also accompabnies this rig, but I only use it when I am travelling by car as it is all too big for airplanes.

Use only 'arca swiss ' style quick release plates ( RRS, Arca, Markins, Kirk, Wimberly ), all other proprietary styles are crap and not interchangeable.

If bothering with a tripod, you should aways use a cable release.

I hope this is helpful.

I'll second Harold's comments on tripods - the graveyard of almost ideal tripods/heads is an expensive way to end up with the final destination.

However, you need to identify whether you want a versatile travel tripod or whether you want something for use with all systems. Either way, you'll ultimately end up with something like Harold mentioned for the main outfit - an expensive Gitzo 35xx series and an M-20 or BH-55 or Arca Swiss head with arca style plates/adapters for your cameras. If it's JUST for the M8 then I think something lighter will do.

I love the Gitzo’s and BH heads although most of the recommendations I’ve seen are strictly overkill for casual use. I use an inexpensive Silk and it works just fine in and around my neighborhood. Sure, I would love to have a G2541 with BH-40 although I’m still buying lenses.

Regards,

thanks for all the advice everyone.

I was sad to find out that my order for a Really Right Stuff ballhead (the BH 40 LR) is backordered. Does anyone recommend anything else that's comparable? Normally I'd wait but I need a solution by next week for a project.

Ive seen people mention the Arca Swiss ballheads. According to online specs, they seem to be a tad heavier. If I'm not mistaken, I believe that they are more expensive than the RRS options.

Arca ballheads are expensive and really come into their own with much heavier outfits. I have B1 & B1G's and they are superbly made but reasonably heavy (esp B1G). However, I've transitioned away to the BH-55 which is superb. Not quite as silky smooth in action but very very good. The QR lever is the best I've ever used.

The arca-swiss style plate system is the one that really makes the difference. You can use them with Kirk, RRS, Markins, Acratech plus obviously Arca Swiss. As an alternative to the BH-40 you might want to look at the Kirk BH3 or Markins equivalent. The Arca Z1 is the new B1 head and is also a nice piece. For QR systems the RRS lever clamp is fantastic and makes my Arca B1 head seem cheap and nasty by comparison.

thanks gwelland.

your tips were helpful. unless i can find a merchant who has either the RRS or the Arca Swiss models, then I might just have to stick with my backordered situation at RRS.

If anyone knows of a reputable dealer of either RRS or Arca Swiss please do tell.

Here's is a little article I wrote a number of years back. I still have and use all three tripods depending on my needs.

Tripod Tales

A story about 3 tripods.

If you like to travel but still want to have 3 legged support there are a number of options that I use depending on what camera equipment I am bringing and what my overall requirements are.

If you want to travel ultra light, are carrying a small camera, or want light tabletop or wall support, then this is my favorite ultra light combination. I use a Manfrotto 3007 table top tripod and Manfrotto 428 Micro ball head. This is not the only combination, but at $48.00 US it is good price/performance. I have used this combination with a Rollei 35 and Leica M6. The tripod with head easily fits into a pocket on a Domke F803 camera satchel or other small camera bag. Otherwise it will also fit into a side pocket on your Jeans.

Mamfrotto 3007 With Ball Head

Maximum Height: 4.0 Inches

Folded Length: 7.0 Inches

If you want more versatility, and more height, there are a number of options that I really like as well. I use a Gitzo G0011 series Table Top tripod with a Giotto MH1004 Ball Head, and a quick release plate. Currently, you can get the Gitzo G0012 Aluminum Table Top tripod online for around $157.00. I use the older version of this tripod that I bought on e-bay for $80.00 brand new. The only difference is in the center column. If you have more money to spend, and want more height for the same weight you can use the new G0057 Carbon Fiber Table Top tripod from Gitzo. It extends much taller, 28” with center column and 21 “ without center column extended, but weighs less than the aluminum version, and is almost as small folded. However it is almost double the cost at $312.00. I like this tripod for a number of reasons, but primarily because at 30” with a ball head, and with the tripod on a table, it is almost at eye level. This can be very handy while traveling.

Gitzo G0011 Aluminum Without ball Head

Maximum Height: 18.75 “

Maximum Height w/o extension: 10.5 “

Folded Length: 8.5”

Weight: 0.90 lbs

Gitzo G0012 Aluminum Without ball Head

Maximum Height: 18.1 “

Maximum Height w/o extension: 11.0 “

Folded Length: 9.8”

Weight: 0.90 lbs.

Gitzo G0057 Carbon Fiber Without ball Head

Maximum Height: 28.3.1 “

Maximum Height w/o extension: 21.5 “

Folded Length: 10.6”

Weight: 0.80 lbs.

If you use wide-angle lenses a lot, you will need a full height or taller tripod. The reason for this is simply really. With a wide-angle lens, you will want to keep your camera level to avoid converging vertical lines. So, unless you want to have a lot of low foreground in your image, you will need a full height or taller tripod. How tall depend on your height and also on the look you are trying to achieve.

Which tripod you bring when travelling all depends on you needs, and how willing you are to carry extra weight. Better to compromise than to not have a tripod. I like to do night shots and landscapes while traveling and Image quality is important, but in my case, because I am not able to carry a lot of weight, I take the Gitzo G0011 tripod and Giotto MH1004 Ball Head. This is as always a compromise, but with a Kirk quick release it is used with everything from a Rollei 35 to my Mamiya 6 with a 150mm lens. It is stable, convenient, and I put one of the tripod legs through my belt loop for easy carrying. If I had more money I would prefer the Gitzo G0057 for the extra height that it provides.

Hope that helps

Akitadog

M previous gitzo i sold to fund these two was a G1227 LVL with a Arca Swiss B1 with "Flip Lock" and RRS plate fore the Canon 5D. It was a 3 section with a built in leveling column and a Canon 5D.

This time i wanted a really stable 4 section and a travel tripod. So now I have two gitzo for my m8 setup. :

Gitzo GT3540LS with Arca Swiss P1 S Quick Set "Flip Lock" with Acratec Leving Base and RRS plate..

Gitzo GT1550T with Novaflex Magicball Mini.

The Arca Swiss P1 S I purchased wanting to see one in person. I do wish it had a panning base, which the P1 D is supposed to have but I cant find one anywhere. The Ball cavity is on the top connected to the Flip Lock, where as on the B1 the Ball cavity is on the bottom. I have yet to decide whther to add a paning base or try and find a Arca Swiss P1 D. This setup is super stable and I like no center column on it. I usually have the M8 in a Luigi case, and dont keep the RRS plate on it.

The small tripod setup is great for traveling, and the Novoflex, i like over the ball head that came with the smaller tripod as it doesn't use a plate but the but screw has a wheel that pulls the camera down to the head, so its a very small setup. I like that there is nothing spinning on the base of the camera to tighten, the screw only spins on the novaflex pulling the camera base straight down to the head surface.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!