tripod recommendations?

fishblimp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I'm looking for a tripod recommendation for my M8 system. Obviously the goal is lightweight + small but a lot of posts about tripods on here don't factor in the idea of best value.

I'm looking for a tripod or a tabletop/surface tripod that's easy to take around. I don't shoot a lot on a tripod, but it'd be nice to be able to have one handy in case I find myself in a situation where one is needed.

Can anyone recommend their best value tripods? Or even an older model that I might want to look for on eBay? Are there any under-rated brands to keep in mind?

Thanks for your help!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The best tripods I've used are Gitzo - they've changed their range not too long ago and you might be able to pick up an older one at a reasonable price on ebay. Their carbon fibre are light and rigid. I still have my original Gitzo (bought used in 1980) which still works fine - in fact I've used its lower legs to add to a bigger Gitzo allowing me to get 8 feet off the ground for a tricky job.

If you want something different try http://www.overxposed.com who make flat bases to fit tripod heads to - useful if you want something simple and easy and light to carry - just add a small tripod head.

Probably too expensive is the small tripod from Really Right Stuff - but very good, light and rigid.

thanks pgk.

can you shed some light on ball-heads for the M8? is there something to look for when picking one? I was on the really right stuff website and there are some that have no plate (just the threading), some that have a circular mini-plate + threading, and some with full quick-release plates. I'm assuming that the full-plate ones are for larger cameras / lenses?

I find that the Gitzo 1550T is the ideal tripod companion for the M8 if you want something almost full size, adaptable for travel and very lightweight. I put an Acratech head on instead of the Gitzo.

For me, it's excellent value because it's light enough, rigid enough and small enough that I can take it on the road with me anywhere, including in packed luggage on a plane. Unfortunately if value means cheap - that it's not. That said, compared to the cost of the rest of the Leica outfit it's positively inexpensive.

For Gitzo I's also say that Acratech heads are very light and whilst I no longer use one (I use the RRS BH-55 on a very large Gitzo and BH-25 on the RRS tripod) it should be pretty ideal for the M8 (as recommended by gwelland). But to use these heads an 'Arca' style quick release plate is needed on the M8. I equip all my cameras with these plates and have various models from RRS and Kirk but there are others made by Acratech, Markins and others to look at too. I'm using an RRS plate but the Kirk looks like it might be a better bet - see http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/47236-arca-type-tripod-plates-m8.html for more info.

For the M8 I have two base plates - a Leica grip plate which I mount a kirk adapter on so that I can use it with the Acratech or any other of my tripod heads; the other base is the standard plate that I use when I'm walking around with the camera in it's Luigi case.

On my DSLRs & lenses I exclusively use RRS as it works better with RRS's quick release system but in this case the Kirk plate definitely is a better fit on the M8 plus is slightly wider and hence lets you set the camera down without it tipping to one side or the other.

Guest Essemmlee

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a Gorillapod (the larger one) that fastens to the strap of my camera bag. Never has let me down and grips onto almost anything. Very small, lightweight and sturdy enough for an M8 and a 75 cron - no problem.

For studio stuff though, my manfrotto is the business.

I have been using a Manfrotto tripod for 15 years or so. The number of mine is 3001 and I use both a photo head and a video head. They have the same size shaft that fits in the lower portion.

I like the button at the top of the leg that lets you swing the leg very wide, in 3 positions, so that the tripod sits very low. I can also insert the head from the bottom, so that the camera hangs between the legs.

This is aluminum. I also use 2 different Manf. monopods.

I wouldn't mind a carbon fiber one, but am spenind my bucks on other things.

The Manfrotto is light, sturdy enuf for my uses, and works well.

There are all newer models now, so don't go looking for the 3001. Check out their site. I would recommend them without hesitation.

Depending on your use, you may also consider a good monopod if you use different weight cameras and also want portability. I use the Gitzo 2550 for travel when I am carrying both the D3 and the M8 else I use a 1540T with a linhof balhead that I have used for many years.

best regards,

arif

What about Manfrotto ? Anybody having experiences with that brand ?

I have been wondering....

How does Bogen/Manfrotto match up with Gitzo?

I have two Bogen pro grade tripods and heads for my SLR, MF and 4x5, they are aluminum but work really well. I love the Manfrotto action grip head, very fast and stable with bubble for leveling.

The 1540T seems to be a good option for travel.

Either Gitzo or Manfrotto are great and should be fine for "serious" work. I use Gitzo.

In addition, if you choose a model that's sturdy enough, you'll get a set up that's very versatile (use with both M8 and DSLR).

Their ranges keep evolving, so it's hard to recommend a particular model.

Since I understand you are looking for value, the basalt Gitzos are somewhat cheaper than the carbon ones and only marginally heavier.

I also find that the larger Gorillapod with the M8 makes a hard-to-beat light combo for travel.

Regardless of make/manufacturer, it's really worth it to go for a good carbon fiber tripod instead of aluminum. The reason is vibration damping. I have both, and keep the aluminum in the trunk of my car for "emergency" use. If I'm really serious about trying to catch a particular image, I take the carbon fiber Gitzo.

I use two Manfrottos. A monster 190 in Italian Army green with a three way 141RC head on it, which uses the PL12 quick release plate. Then I have a very light weight Manfrotto Modo 785 plus the integrated ball head, with a side handle/locking trigger. This also has a QR plate but sadly a wholly different one from the PL12. Finally I have a tiny Sony digital tripod, which lives in the front pocket of my Billingham M - it is just strong enough to cope with a 50 ASPH Summilux or a 90 Elmarit. Between them, these three serve all my needs.

Wilson

If you want the table tripod, I can recommend the Manfrotto 3007 kit. It's tiny, has it's own case, is extendible and will fit in pretty much any bag. The only thing I don't like about at times is that the stupid cork pads have a tendency to fall off the bottom of the feet. This is not an insurmountable problem. It's modular and breaks down to fit in a small pouch.

Leica and others do similar tripods so there's plenty of choice if you want something small. The equivalent Leica tripod and 14110 head is $300+ compared to $80 for the Manfrotto 3007.

....looking for a tripod recommendation ...

Choosing cameras and lenses is a doddle compared finding a 'right' tripod for you because we all have different needs. Manfrottos are OK [i have two - one I chopped up to make it ultra portable] and gitzos have been workhorse tripods for many pros for decades, I suspect that wood may well be the best vibration dampener and so some large format guys choose wooden tripods [but they're bulky], and I don't know anyone with the budget for carbon fibre.

The problem with your question is you don't give enough information about your needs and all answers so far might be valid, or inappropriate. If you are 6 feet tall and want to elevate the camera position above head height [as I have many times] the tripod requirement is quite different than if you are 5 foot 4inches and will never shoot at anything other than eye level. The variables of speculation on your actual needs are numerous, for example a 'small' tripod might be one which has many sections and extends high, or it might be one with few sections with short reach and no centre column. I'd suggest you define for yourself what your needs are, follow the makes which are suggested, and go play with them in a dealers and find out if it suits you. Check that the leg-locks are not going to send you so crazy that you never take the tripod, and determine for yourself that the tripod, when extended, won't be blown over by a passing cat. [My own test was to fully extend the tripod and place a finger on the top of the centre column, then , with the other hand - lightly tap one of the lower legs to feel how much vibration [art-wobble] is transmitted through the tripod]. The only tripods to have passed my test have been giant Gitzos [you need a truck to carry them], and my favourite a beautiful Burlebach [spelling?] wooden tripod; so I bought Manfrotto - I compromised.

When you sort the tripod out, the more important question of which tripod head to buy can start a fist fight. I've got a few tripod heads and most of them are awful. Personally, I cannot stand ball-heads though I note a few users here - so I use a Manfrotto [junior?] geared head which has been thrashed, but I wouldn't be without it, and quick release camera plates are essential for me [i like Linhof].

So there we are....... another question not answered. Good luck.

................. Chris