Missing images

tlorini

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On a recent trip to Arizona I took 30-40 pictures. I always shoot in jpeg+raw. All of my jpeg shots survived, but about 75% of my raw images showed up completely blacked out. I have shot quite a lot of pictures with this camera with no problems up to now. I have the latest firmware installed. Any advice would be much appreciated, since I have a month long trip coming up in July and am looking forward to taking a lot of pictures of places that I won't ever be visiting again.

I think the first thing to do is to make sure you don't write to or format the SD card until after you are sure what has happened and there's no chance of retrieving the missing images.

If you look at the files on the card are the good and the "bad" RAW files the same size, they should be 10,328KB or 10,575,296 bytes in size, are they all named as *.DNG If they are then there's a chance you haven't really lost the RAW images.

One trick you could try is to see if the camera is able to recognize the thumbnail images that are embedded in the bad RAW files. If it can there's a good chance the RAW files are OK. First, before doing anything I'd suggest moving the write protect switch on the card to the "Lock" position to prevent any accidents.

Put the card in a card reader and copy the DCIM folder and it's contents on the SD card to your hard drive. Now go to the DCIM folder on your hard drive, open the xxxLEICA folder where you will see your DNGs and JPEGs. Delete all the JPEGS.

Now take another SD card that has been freshly formatted in the camera. Put it in the reader and copy the DCIM folder and all it's contents from your hard drive to the new SD card. You may be prompted do you want to overwrite the DCIM folder on the card, answer yes. Now put the card in the camera and see if you can preview all the images. If you can see all of them then the camera is able to read the embedded thumbnails even in the "bad" RAW files.

Check out what I've said and let's see what ideas others have in the meantime.

Bob.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had a similar problem. You need to let the M8 finish saving the DNG before you shut it off. Once the blinking red light quits, you can shut down safely.

That sounds as if it could be the answer ..... but... I've just tried taking a sequence of DNGs only and switching off the camera before the files in the buffer had been written to the card. The camera continued to write the data (blinking light) as I expected it to and then powered down. All the DNGs look as if they're intact. hmmmm...

Bob.

That sounds as if it could be the answer ..... but... I've just tried taking a sequence of DNGs only and switching off the camera before the files in the buffer had been written to the card. The camera continued to write the data (blinking light) as I expected it to and then powered down. All the DNGs look as if they're intact. hmmmm...

Bob.

hmmmmm... is right. I just checked using RAW + JPEG, and could not duplicate the problem. Perhaps it was a card problem, but I checked it with both a 1 GB Toshiba and two 2 GB Lexar and could not duplicate the problem. I was using one of them when it happened. Anyway, this time the M8 kept the blinking light going and wrote the full DNG after I shut the camera off, and for that matter while I turned it off and on several times while blinking and even shutting off/on and taking another shot. Sorry if I may have got us off on a tangent on this one, but I'm puzzled myself now. Apparently I made a bad assumption on what happened previously.

The only time I had a similar problem was when the battery bar indicator was in the final quarter. Lost about five frames... Still - remember those days when the film take up failed to engage and you shot 36 frames without checking that the re-wind was turning... Nothing's perfect...