SF20 and SF24D

Annibale G.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Usually I'm shooting in interior , very high contrast, low light condition. I was thinking about to buy a flah unit to use as fill in flash. I've seen from Leica catalouge that there is no more the sf20; is it discontinued? What are the difference with the sf24D?

What about buying a used Sf20?

Annibale

I own the SF-20 and find it exceedingly useful for fill-flash. They can be found for very reasonable prices these days as well.

I have a question regarding the two: Is the SF-20 fully compatible with the M7 and M8 in TTL mode? I have not been able to find a definitive answer in the standard literature.

Thanks,

-J..

I own the SF-20 and find it exceedingly useful for fill-flash. They can be found for very reasonable prices these days as well.

I have a question regarding the two: Is the SF-20 fully compatible with the M7 and M8 in TTL mode? I have not been able to find a definitive answer in the standard literature.

Thanks,

-J..

The SF20 is not compatible with the M8 in TTL mode, only the M6TTL and the M7. The SF24d is compatible with all of them. You can use the SF20 and M8 in A mode though.

Len

The SF20 is not compatible with the M8 in TTL mode, only the M6TTL and the M7. The SF24d is compatible with all of them. You can use the SF20 and M8 in A mode though.

Len

Yes, the SF20 does not support the Leica digital "pseudo-TTL GNC", whereas the SF24D does. I have a Leica CL, which, although a film camera, also utilises "GNC" together with an SF20. The two work well together in A mode; indeed, the working aperture IS correctly transmitted by the camera to the flash, which is nice. Several Forum members consider the "GNC" mode to be a bit of a pain anyway, and actually prefer the A mode.

i have the sf20 for my m7 and it works quite nicely for a small flash unit. i use the nikon cord with it for taking it off camera. i use it in ttl mode, yes.

i've been reading about trigger voltages and haven't found what it is for the sf20 - does anyone know this information?

A dealer sell the sf20 at 200€ . Should I buy it for what I need? Can I use it in manual exposure mode? Can't I use all exposure time?

What mainly have the sf24d respect to the sf20?

Annibale

I think that 200€ for and SF20 is far too much. Presumably this is second-hand (even if not, the price ought to be close to the second hand price, since it is superseded by the SF24D) and they go in the UK for about £90.

Guest Bastian A.

200 € is too much for the SF-20! I bought one for 70 € recently (Ebay) but that was very cheap. About 120 € seems to be a normal price.

B.

My 24D works in manual mode at shutter speeds of 1/50 or slower with my M7. With my M6, I can get 1/60th shutter speed to work 99% of the time, otherwise same as M7.

With M7, I find A mode more useful than TTL mode, particularly when shooting Kodachrome. In sunlight or open shade, the "A" mode provides nice fill flash effect when set at normal shooting speed for the film I use. So I have never applied an f-stop compensation when using it as fill flash.

Am currently using M mode because of problems with deep background causing flash in A mode to overexpose.

Main difference I can tell between 20D and 24D is that the 24D has a cheap plastic diffuser which one clips onto front of flash if using focal lengths greater than or equal to 85mm. It "focuses" the flash so that it is actually stronger, so use the higher guide number.

I have not found the 24D to be the most consistent flash unit I have ever owned. I still use it due to portability. Also, I got sensitive about the ladies angrily shouting "Jesus David!" at the church suppers when I used a Vivitar 283 (excellent unit, but just too bright, even for hard- boiled Georgia Baptists who've seen everything).

• 2 weeks later...