Burn pixel and banding after shooting 5000iso?

Mauribix

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had a similar problem with my first M8 that I bought a few weeks ago, I returned it and ultimately bought a brand new one. Although the man in the shop did not agree, I would say that a vertical (or horizontal) line of dead pixels is unlikely to be dead pixels but is more likely to be a poor solder or connection between the sensor and the PCB. (I would assume that the pin or cable coming off that row of pixels is faulty).

Phillip

You might assume that, but you would be wrong. There are actually only two pins on the chip which output sensor data, one for each side.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maurizio,

contact customer service in Solms directly, they will give you instructions on how to proceed.

Since you are in Italy, my wild guess would be a turnaround time of approx. 3 weeks.

I (still) have the same problem and although I discovered it over a year ago, I haven't had it repaired yet, since it does not bother me in my daily work.

Dirk

I really don't know much about sensor design (I'm an Optician by qualification) but I would guess that photon of light hits a light sensitive diode (or something similar) on the sensor which results in a charge being released. I would imagine that there are circuits running horizontally and vertically and the photon of light causes a charge across a horizontal and vertical circuit which identifies where the pixel of light is. That's why I am thinking there is some kind of bad connection that results in all or none of a row of pixels 'firing'. (This is certainly how an eye works.)

Anyway, that's just my guess, it seems very unlikely that entire rows of pixels would be faulty otherwise.

Hello!

Harald, when did you send it to Solms?And how long did it take to get repaired?

It had happened October last year, it returned less than three weeks later. One day longer, and I would have purchased a second one as a backup :-)

And what procedure did you follow, anyway?

Leica shop in Vienna did all the handling for me. Absolutely no costs.

Hello!

It had happened October last year, it returned less than three weeks later. One day longer, and I would have purchased a second one as a backup :-)

Leica shop in Vienna did all the handling for me. Absolutely no costs.

This is a good news...

Thanks Harald

Hello Maurizio,

I'm not sure if this would be advisable in all cases but recently I have had to send my M8 in for repair. I absolutely did not want to be without my Leica. I contacted the importer for Leica here in the Netherlands and asked for their assistance. Well they came personally to pickup up and bring back my camera (turn around time 2 months) and left me a replacement M8 in the meantime.

I saw from one of your previous messages that you too have problems with the on-switch. Well I did to and after repair this now works great.

Kind regards,

Etienne

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you Etienne for this advertisement,

I read in many posts that the Dutch Leica importer/distributor is quite well "present".

Many memebers here from The Netherlands did report a fast and somehow "accurate" service, i just don't have an Italian report for this, so I really keep my finger crossed!

Grazie!

To bring this thread back to life...I originally posted that I had a similar problem with just one green pixel appearing. Well, I was wrong. The strange thing is the original location has changed from upper left to lower right, and is no longer just a pixel but a pixel-wide band just like the one in the previously shown 100% crop. In addition there's a blue pixel slightly off dead center of the frame. This has all happened in the last four or five days over a couple images--I've been busy with more mundane tasks that photography. I bought the camera just over a year ago and have experienced no significant problems heretofore. Frankly it's not an issue that I couldn't fix in Photoshop (as I've grown accustomed to doing with my Nikon which developed a similar problem, but was outside of warrantee when it happened and hence I've never bothered to fix) but it is quite annoying nonetheless.

OK, so I may be going crazy. After posting last night that I had a green hot pixel and accompanying line in my images, when I brought them into Aperture to examine further I can't see the line in any of them (no matter what adjustments I make to stress the image) and the green pixel is barely there in some and absent in others. On the LCD you could see this without even magnifying the image. The strange thing is that both the pixel and line aren't there in the initial preview but then pop into view as the camera processes the preview. Has anyone else experienced this?

OK, so I may be going crazy. After posting last night that I had a green hot pixel and accompanying line in my images, when I brought them into Aperture to examine further I can't see the line in any of them (no matter what adjustments I make to stress the image) and the green pixel is barely there in some and absent in others. On the LCD you could see this without even magnifying the image. The strange thing is that both the pixel and line aren't there in the initial preview but then pop into view as the camera processes the preview. Has anyone else experienced this?

Yep, I experienced almosta the same but using Lightroom instead of Aperture...:confused:

Anyway, if i put the Fill light lever to the right, i can always see the line "blooming":eek:

Guest rweisz
To bring this thread back to life...I originally posted that I had a similar problem with just one green pixel appearing. Well, I was wrong. The strange thing is the original location has changed from upper left to lower right, and is no longer just a pixel but a pixel-wide band just like the one in the previously shown 100% crop. In addition there's a blue pixel slightly off dead center of the frame. This has all happened in the last four or five days over a couple images

Can you clarify, are you saying you only shot a couple images in 4-5 days, or the problem only appears in a couple images but the rest are ok? I would think that dead pixels isn't an intermittent thing. Or is it?

Only appeared in a couple of images, but clearly so, over the last week. It seems the problem is real, but I've just tried every raw converter that I've got and they're all doing a good job mapping out the hot pixel and the line on the most recent images. Haven't tried the old ones. I can push every adjustment to the high or low end and can't get see either the line or pixel. You can see the pixel for a second as the image gets opened and then it simply is gone--the exact reverse of what happened on the LCD screen. The blue pixel I mentioned was never visible on the computer. Breathing a deep sigh of relief, for the moment.

Is it possible that not all hot pixels are created equal so to speak, and Maurizio has a worse case of it?

• 2 weeks later...

I've just found this (blue) line today while processing images shot between 1250 and 2500. It's strange I've never noticed it before until today but when I go back and check images shot at 2500 when I got the camera in Nov 2006 it's not there.

It seems to be caused by a stuck pixel (blue) and the line seems to start beyond the pixel and run through it all the way to the edge of the frame. Mine seems to be very close to the right hand edge of the frame running vertical from bottom to midway between 640 & 1250 and fully across at 2500.

Shame really, I wish I never saw it because I can see it in every 1250 or 2500 image without difficulty and at 640 if I look.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Yes, I think there is some kind of in-camera processing (noise reduction?) that happens. The first image on the LCD looks one way, and then a second later a little bit different. Hot pixels disappear. I noticed this because while hot pixels disappear, a blue banding/griding pattern emerges with iso 2500 and slow shutter speeds. I think the camera is doing something...

I noticed the exact same problem yesterday, in fact I emailed Leica about it too see what they say. I'll post their feedback here.

For info, here are a few images that I took where it showed up, all of them are 640 ISO or bellow. There is a line just left of centre but it isn't so easy to see when the images are reduced in size.

http://www.pdmeyer.com/linkimages/index.htm

• 1 month later...

To revive this thread, I experienced exactly this for the first time last night. Only it was a blue pixel in the lower left bottom corner of the LCD of my M8. I took some shots in candlelight last night and the pixel appears on some shots, and simply disappears right before your eyes as the preview finishes loading in on other shots. Very strange. I've only had my M8 for a little over two weeks, but this is the first time I've noticed this. Stuck pixels normally don't just disappear and reappear shot to shot like this. Not sure if I should be concerned or not. It doesn't show up on any of the images once they are uploaded to my iMac either (I use Aperture 2.0 for my post processing).

To revive this thread, I experienced exactly this for the first time last night. Only it was a blue pixel in the lower left bottom corner of the LCD of my M8. I took some shots in candlelight last night and the pixel appears on some shots, and simply disappears right before your eyes as the preview finishes loading in on other shots. Very strange. I've only had my M8 for a little over two weeks, but this is the first time I've noticed this. Stuck pixels normally don't just disappear and reappear shot to shot like this. Not sure if I should be concerned or not. It doesn't show up on any of the images once they are uploaded to my iMac either (I use Aperture 2.0 for my post processing).

I guess it disappears as soon as the noise reduction process is applied.

Even with Aperture 2.0 who's even faster att applyin' it.

Just my two cents.

I guess it disappears as soon as the noise reduction process is applied.

Even with Aperture 2.0 who's even faster att applyin' it.

Just my two cents.

I suppose so...the thing is, it's only visible while viewing the images on the back of the LCD of my M8 which is why I thought it was a stuck pixel in the LCD itself. But then that theory is shaky because it's not on every image and, in fact, it appears and then disappears on certain images once the preview has loaded in.

Did you wind up sending your M8 into Leica?

• 1 month later...

Just for the record: My Leica M8 which I purchased december 2006 shows the same symptoms since yesterday. A blue pixel appeared and a line. The pixel disappears in the final pictures (I suppose due to noise reduction) but the fine line stays. Most visible with ISO 1250 and 2500 but if one looks carefully you see it down to ISO 160. Both artifacts were not there in older pictures. Let's see what Leica has to say about it.

Regards

Patrick