M9

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nope. The image quality of the camera with the existing sensor size allows me to print bigger than I ever need to. Not to mention that I really couldn't justify spending that sort of money on any still camera body, given the type of work I do and the seemingly more limited lifetime of digital cameras as compared to film cameras. If I knew the camera would last me 10-15 years as long as I gave it regulary maintenance, the situation might be different.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

yes.... if they take out the horrible electronic shutter wind and add al hand crank ... a nice silent Leica would be a dream.

Also... I know Im going to piss off purist...but having to remove the bottom plate to change cards and batteries is beyond stupid. Leica decided to stay traditional in this design element but chose to take out the film advance / shutter reset?

Better high iso performance.

Full frame would be nice... but not a big issue for me.

Those things would make me buy one in a NY minute.

7k for a world class prof camera isnt really that much .... go price some top end Canons or the Hassie digitals....saw one for 30K the other day.

Guest rweisz
Will you upgrade your M8 to M9 if it is FF if it cost USD7000?

Only after it's been on the market a year and I can see what kind of troubles it has. I wish I'd been less impulsive and waited a while on the M8. I would currently have $5K more to put toward an M9.

Only after it's been on the market a year and I can see what kind of troubles it has. I wish I'd been less impulsive and waited a while on the M8. I would currently have $5K more to put toward an M9.

Except that the M9 doesn't exist, and who knows if or when it will?

Last weekend spent shooting at mainly ISO 2500 showed me how much the noise performance is pants - the Nikon D3 really spoils you. I'm in at $70k (3 bodies, 17 lenses) and am beginning to wonder whether I'm headed down a dead end street.

From various sources, I think the FF M9 is work in progress. :eek: :eek: R10 is going to be interesting too!!! :D

As most of you know, Rose and I attended the LHSA's annual convention, this past weekend. There Herr Andreas Kaufmann, owner of Leica, spoke of their plans for the next generation R camera.

He played his cards very close to his chest, and was very coy about his answers. Other than confirming that a new 'R' camera would be introduced at Photokina, he gave very little information, as one might expect.

He said that the "final form" of the camera was presented to the Board, for production approval, and that approval was given within the last week. Thus, the design is set. He showed not the camera, but only a photo of the box in which it was carried into the board room!

Coyly, he asked: "What might the model name be? I cannot say, but if you can count to 10, you will probably have a good idea! What will be the features of this new camera? Think of a wish list... auto-focus? A full frame sensor? A sensor perhaps larger than full frame?"

As many of you know, I, along with Howard Cummer and three others, had the pleasure of meeting with Steven Lee, Stephan Daniels and Maike Harberts, for three hours at the '06 Photokina - to discuss the future of the 'R' series. I now feel we can now discuss, publicly, the idea of a "larger than full frame sensor", now that Hr. Kaufmann, has said it publicly. Until now, I have been prevented from mentioning such things, as it would be a violation of the NDA, we signed. My lips will remain sealed about all other items discussed at that meeting, until such time as they are publicly addressed by Leica officials. However, if Hr. Kaufmann has raised them, then I feel they are now "fair game".

This last bit, about a "larger than full frame" sensor, was discussed at that 2006 meeting. At that time, I wondered if it was an indication of their thoughts, or if it was simply (as Agatha Christie's Piorot would say) "A blue herring", to throw us and, more importantly, Leica's competitors, off track. One audience member asked if a larger sensor would require a larger mount - and if this was to happen, would current 'R' glass be able to be used. Hr. Kaufmann replied: "A solution is in the pipeline."

This "larger than full frame" (24x36mm) sensor idea has me bothered a bit.

If it is much more than, say 15% bigger, it would undoubtedly require a body larger than the R8, something nearly everyone who completed last fall's survey indicated they did not wish.

That being said, if it is, say, 15% larger (no size was given - 15% is my guess), it would have the advantage of either ( a) more pixels - like Canon, ( B) larger pixels - like Nikon or ( c) a bit of both. It would also require a new mount, although we were promised, a year ago, that any mount change would permit existing R lenses to be used, in aperture priority mode, at the very least. A new mount might still be needed, even if the sensor is "merely" full frame, in order to accommodate Auto-Focus.

If the sensor is larger than full frame, a new series of lenses would be required to take advantage of that, for the image circle of the existing glass would likely not perform to it's max over a larger area, though that might differ, lens to lens. Assuming the traditional 2:3 aspect ratio is preserved, an adapter could be rigged to turn off the outer, 15% (or whatever it really is) when existing R glass was used. This, however, would reduce the number of pixels recorded. Thus, you would have a lower resolution, full frame image, with existing glass and a larger, higher resolution image with the new lenses. A simple line on the VF screens, as was used on the DMR, would suffice. Add in AF, and you have powerful reasons for buyers to step up to the new glass.... something Leica needs, as there is more money in lenses than in bodies.

Of course, if the sensor were made 36mm square, the image circle of existing glass would be able to handle that, without problem. Photos could, of course, still be cropped to the traditional 24x36mm. Please note: this last bit, about a square sensor, is simply my speculation.

However, a larger sensor would require a larger mirror, which would make it almost impossible to swing the mirror up, while still using existing "R" glass. This problem is made even more significant by the need to make the registration (the distance from lens flange to sensor/film plane) a few millimeters shallower than on previous R cameras, in order to allow for an adapter, so existing 'R' glass can be fitted, while still focusing to infinity. Should the sensor be made square, this would be virtually impossible, for the mirror would have to be much larger!

No matter how they do it, if the sensor is to be "larger than full frame", it will take some really creative engineering to preserve the use of 'R' glass. Thus, I still think this is a "blue herring". However, I have been known to be wrong, before!

No mention was made as to number of pixels or other specifications. However, Hr. Kaufmann did confirm that Leica have twenty-four (count 'em ...24!) new lenses in development! If we assume that 6 new "M" lenses per year is overkill, that still leaves 18 new lenses for the "R" line. Whether they are required for AF, or for a larger sensor, or both, only time will tell. But there is no doubt, that an entire new fleet of "R" glass is on the horizon. Hr. Kaufmann also indicated that Leica are moving fast towards a policy of having stock available for shipment almost as soon as products are officially announced. If this is realized, then we should see a new "R' camera and an entire line of new lenses, by the end of next year.

When asked if the new lenses would be AF, Hr. Kaufmann simply replied "Think about your wish list."

When asked if the new lenses would be metal, as now, or employ some polycarbonate or other "space age" materials, he simply said "I am sorry, but I am not allowed to answer that question."

Hr. Kaufmann also confirmed that there will be a new "M" camera introduced at the '08 Photokina and implied that it would have the Infra-red filter built-in. He gave no other details.

He also indicated that "Camera X" would be introduced. It is not known by that name, but he said that this was how he would refer to it at this time. He gave no more information, but a chart of the line showed it as being near the Digilux 3 - perhaps a possible replacement. This makes me wonder if Leica plan to skip the latest incarnation of the Panasonic DSLR and have something else by fall! Time will tell.

Of course, if the sensor were made 36mm square, the image circle of existing glass would be able to handle that, without problem.

No it wouldn't, unless the existing lenses lenses had an image circle quite a lot bigger than that needed for a 36x24 film negative

Dr Kaufmann - not Herr - is a master at stringing his audience along and the stunt of showing the box in which the camera was is old news. Truth is, we are no nearer knowing what the R10 is going to be, and, to be honest, I'm not sure I care. This cat and mouse game gets a little tedious after a while and prevents people making sensible buying decisions. Not me, Nikon D3 on my desk and deposit down for a D3x.

Guest rweisz

As most of you know, Rose and I attended the LHSA's annual convention, this past weekend.

According to their website, LHSA.org, the LHSA's annual convention was last fall, not last weekend, and the next one won't be until next fall, except for something they call a "Spring Shoot", which will be next month. So what are you trying to pull? At best, that information is six months old and a lot has changed since then.

Guest rweisz
Except that the M9 doesn't exist, and who knows if or when it will?

For purposes of using it as a tool for my living, which is why I bought it, my M8 which sits in Germany for repairs, doesn't exist, and I don't know when it will be back, or what will go wrong with it next.

According to their website, LHSA.org, the LHSA's annual convention was last fall, not last weekend, and the next one won't be until next fall, except for something they call a "Spring Shoot", which will be next month. So what are you trying to pull? At best, that information is six months old and a lot has changed since then.

Even the Spring Shoot 2008 is still still in the works (to be held in Asheville, North Carolina, May 1- May 4, 2008). So this story is all B....S....

Thanks Mark for pointing out that it is Dr. Kaufmann, not Herr Kaufmann. For me, as a continental European, the use of 'Herr' feels very derogatory, childish really. Quite uncoool.