Adieu

Tom_W

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not being funny, but when I changed my car I didn't go on the interweb to announce my "departure". I really don't get this. It's a change of camera kit not a life altering event. It comes across like the behaviour of a scorned lover. Odd.

Bye.

Regards,

Bill

I have found a drastic cure to that...

I don't use the 'C Mode' anymore. :D

You may be facetious is saying so, but I don't either. This may sound curmudgeonly (can you be one when you're 34?) but I didn't use a winder on my film M and I don't need one now. It's just not the way I shoot.

I'm not being funny, but when I changed my car I didn't go on the interweb to announce my "departure". I really don't get this. It's a change of camera kit not a life altering event. It comes across like the behaviour of a scorned lover. Odd.

Bye.

Regards,

Bill

I wasn't going to say it... but, I agree.

Both times it happened, I had :

1. Shot 4 to 6 shots.

2. Camera was unavailable, led blinking indefinitely, no other solution than shut it off.

Should it happen more often, I'd contact Solms and ask them if there is any use to

send it in.

It would be best if you did contacted them but only as a means to help them identify the real problem. This behavior reminds me of when the OS tries to read a dirty CD/DVD and tries and tries and there is a lot of error correction happening and things slow down terribly. It does sound like a bug, but then again on the other hand, Leica has issued a list of compatible SD cards to use

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Many thanks to all.

Bill, I announed my departure, and the reasons for it, to inform those "virtual" friends that I have here of the reason for my future absence.

Lock-up is not simply that the buffer is full, lock-up = camera needs it bottom opened, its power disconnected and then both replaced. The card was not replaced, in my opinion this is not a card or contact issue.

This is not something you can do when a bride throws her bouquet or when the first confetti flows. Nor something you can do as your baby does a new thing like, in this case, sit-up.

I paid to be left with a picture whereas now all I have is a memory tainted by anger.

The Leica M8 is too flawed to be trusted with the timeless moments with which its brand and legend was formed. The lenses are astounding.

I am sad but not sorry.

T

Lock-up is not simply that the buffer is full, lock-up = camera needs it bottom opened, its power disconnected and then both replaced. The card was not replaced, in my opinion this is not a card or contact issue.

[...]

The Leica M8 is too flawed to be trusted with the timeless moments with which its brand and legend was formed.

[...]

I agree that this is not a card or contact issue, but frankly the notion that the M8 is too flawed to be trusted with timeless moments is entirely removed from my experience. I'm not afraid to trust my M8 in any conditions whatsoever, on any occassion. That's not to try to convince you one way or the other, just my experience with the camera.

Guest rweisz

Bye.

Regards,

Bill

One could say that it helps to balance things out, that is, whenever someone contends that the M8 doesn't have serious reliability issues and that nobody has sold theirs due to unreliability, a search will turn up posts like this and put things in a more realistic light. In addition, there are quite a few used M8's on fleabay at any given time and a post like this is a somber warning of caveat emptor ;)

The Leica M8 is too flawed to be trusted with the timeless moments with which its brand and legend was formed. The lenses are astounding.

I am sad but not sorry.

T

Even though I can understand your loss, however don't you think it's a bit rough to judge a company based on a single product which might also be defect? Especially with Leica's proven tradition and quality?

Well in the interest of balance I'd just like to say my M8 has over 13.000 exposure and I have absolutely no intention of getting rid of it. It replaced a full frame DSLR that I've used once over the last 15 months or so since I bought the M8.

There, balance restored <grin>.

Guest rweisz

Not that I believe in jinxes, but that's exactly what I would've said 1 second before my M8's shutter crumpled into itself at roughly that # of actuations ;)

Sad to hear it. I would buy the D3 but it is to big. Once the D300 comes out in the same quality I would jump at it. As a tool of ruthless efficiency it would not be betten. However if you have the time the M8 cannot be betten for pure emotion assuming you can pass the lower take home rate.

Tool for the job business or pleasure

Regards

Many thanks to all.

Bill, I announed my departure, and the reasons for it, to inform those "virtual" friends that I have here of the reason for my future absence.

This is not something you can do when a bride throws her bouquet or when the first confetti flows. Nor something you can do as your baby does a new thing like, in this case, sit-up.

I paid to be left with a picture whereas now all I have is a memory tainted by anger.

I am sad but not sorry.

T

Quite the load. So to speak.

I would say that is very bad luck. I have never had that problem. Professonals carry I woiuld auggest more than one camera for that exact reason. In the end if that makes you feel more at ease that is more important just do not single out Leica maybe. Nikon/Canon can fail to.

Now I have done it. Hope this is balanced. I always carry a spare:)

I don't mean to sound pompous or sarcastic but if you want to buy a D3, go ahead.

I'd buy one - it's the same cost as a top-ranking Leica lens - so not a significant cost or a big deal if you are already spending bucks on Leica.

But it's one's level of tolerance, patience and, with my F5, the insufficient size of my hands to cover all those buttons that determines the degree of happiness, or not, with a specific model of camera.

I wouldn't blame that on on the manufacturer or his product. Especially if the camera is pushed to the limits of what you can expect.

It's like the guy who complained his M8 'locked up' (before his first shot) when he was trying to shoot the last Shuttle launch.

My television company covered the latest ISS launch from Baikonur today. I watched the magnificent live shots of the launch and wondered - who the heck would try to shoot that with an M8.

For some people it *is* a life-changing event -- like people who have been with Leica for an off-and-on 50 years and then find out they can't deal with the camera any more; that they can't trust it, that's it's not doing what they need it to. Some people have had no problems, but anyone who says that the M8 in any way lives up to the Leica standard of reliability, is delusional. Saying, "Mine's never broken" doesn't help the guy who's standing there with an inoperable M8 and a busted assignment. And there have been way too many of those. Film is an option, but after a boy's seen digital, it's hard to go back to the farm...

JC

For some people it *is* a life-changing event -- like people who have been with Leica for an off-and-on 50 years and then find out they can't deal with the camera any more; that they can't trust it, that's it's not doing what they need it to. Some people have had no problems, but anyone who says that the M8 in any way lives up to the Leica standard of reliability, is delusional. Saying, "Mine's never broken" doesn't help the guy who's standing there with an inoperable M8 and a busted assignment. And there have been way too many of those. Film is an option, but after a boy's seen digital, it's hard to go back to the farm...

JC

I agree.

And I have to say that there's a time and a place for each kind of camera. I probably won't use the M8 where I really really need to trust it. I needed a full frame body that is a tank, that can shoot clean at 3200, and can autofocus if need be. For the same price as a second M8 body I got a D3.

After walking around with it today and doing some test shots it's definitely not the same casual user experience as an M. But uploading the RAWs into LR it was a joy to have natural skin tones, highlights that blow out nicely and not in a posterized clipped sort of way, and really useable images at 1600 (haven't gone higher yet). The images aren't as sharp as the Leica's (AA filter and a $200 lens vs a $2000 I would imagine) and it's just a different experience (the Nikon seemed to take up half our table at lunch!). But dang it's a well thought out camera even if one were to only use it on fully manual and nothing else.

For art and personal documentary I'll use my Leica's. For a client who has spent thousands of dollars in production for me to produce images for them I'll use the Nikon. Honestly, they'll only know the difference between the quality of the images if you are stuck with a dead M8 in your hands and the shoot is over before it began (and yes, even with the D3 I'll always have a backup of some sort - ie a D200 or D300).