135 Viewfinder...

Mauribix

Hello folks!

Iwas looking for a viewfinder to use with a 135mm lens on the M8 (i.e. a 180mm Viewfinder): have you got any ideas?

I can't seem to find one...

Thanks as usual!

Well, I have a Mega Pearls 1.35x with an adjustable diopter for sale. I only used it for about a week so it really is “like new”. PM me if you’re interested.

Regards,:rolleyes:

Murizio- I know this will not answer your question, but I gave up looking for a viewfinder for my 135 Telyt. Instead I use the 90mm frame lines in the viewfinder which give me a fairly reasonable approximation of the image and also ensure that I place my subject right in the middle of the focusing screen. I find focusing to be the biggest challenge, but you do get used to it. Obviously it also depends on what subjects you're photographing. I'm using my 135mm for wildlife. Here's an image I took with the 135mm using this technique.

MIKE

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I know of just two options. Tewe made an adjustable finder in the 1950s, some have a 180mm setting. They can be found easily on e-bay for about $ 150. Not cheap for an old finder. Komura made a 2X converter for Leica S & M. It had an accompanying finder that goes up to 270mm. The 2X converter with finder goes for about $ 225 on e-bay. They appear with some regularity.

There was a 180mm (18cm) finder for Contax. They really are collector items. I don't know price or availability.

I know of just two options. Tewe made an adjustable finder in the 1950s, some have a 180mm setting. They can be found easily on e-bay for about $ 150. Not cheap for an old finder. Komura made a 2X converter for Leica S & M. It had an accompanying finder that goes up to 270mm. The 2X converter with finder goes for about $ 225 on e-bay. They appear with some regularity.

There was a 180mm (18cm) finder for Contax. They really are collector items. I don't know price or availability.

looks interesting.... thanks Zeitz!Simply precious!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Camera-express in Capelle in the Netherlands had at least three Leitz 200 mm viewfinders for sale last time I was there. I doubt if an external finder is a viable option with a long lens, It is too easy to lose focus when transferring the eye from the rangefinder to the viewfinder. Better to use the 90 mm framelines with optionally a magnifier. 135 mm lenses can be made to bring up 90 mm lines by overrotating anyway.

Hello Mauribix,

I recently have bought a RASUK sports viewfinder, and made a paper instead of the RAMET mask. The RAMET has a hole of 10 x 15 mm for 135 mm- lenses . I made the new hole about 7 x 11 mm because of the crop factor oft the M 8.

It works. If I find time next weekend, I want to make a mask of metal.

yours sincerely

Thomas

Hello Mauribix,

I recently have bought a RASUK sports viewfinder, and made a paper instead of the RAMET mask. The RAMET has a hole of 10 x 15 mm for 135 mm- lenses . I made the new hole about 7 x 11 mm because of the crop factor oft the M 8.

It works. If I find time next weekend, I want to make a mask of metal.

yours sincerely

Thomas

This seems something really smart!

May you take a picture of it and post it here, please?

Thanks a lot

Maurizio,

here are two pictures. They are made with E1 and Olympus Zoom:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

yours sincerely

Thomas

Thomas, this sounds really good, and i can't but trust your and Luigi's statement.

Really a great idea pushing me up to the 135mm heights!

Well done, and thanks for your time, really much appreciated!

All the best

Murizio- I know this will not answer your question, but I gave up looking for a viewfinder for my 135 Telyt. Instead I use the 90mm frame lines in the viewfinder which give me a fairly reasonable approximation of the image and also ensure that I place my subject right in the middle of the focusing screen. I find focusing to be the biggest challenge, but you do get used to it. Obviously it also depends on what subjects you're photographing. I'm using my 135mm for wildlife. Here's an image I took with the 135mm using this technique.

MIKE

Mike, I've seen many of your shots in the Photo forum made with the 135: my compliments!