How do you accessorize your M8 (or at all)?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Lately I've been thinking about getting the Softie release. I've also been reading the recent thread about the Thumbs Up. Then I clicked on the advertisement link for Gordy's wrist strap. This inevitably lead to googling "Leica M Accessories" and going to a link called www.leicagoodies.com.

Even before writing this thread, I searched and found this thread.

This made me think about all the Leica and third party accessories out there. I think Leica's are probably the most "pimped" out or cameras with the most "bling". On top of a nice expensive camera, you can not just add eye-candy to it, but add knick-nacks that improve personal usage of the camera, from handgrips, body cases, shutter assist releases, rewinders (for film M's), straps, viewfinders, and on, and on, and on.

How do you accessorize your Leica (M8 or any M) or not accessorize? What advantages or aesthetics do those accessories give you?

By accessories, I'm referring to anything that is customized for and attached to the M8. This doesn't include Flash units or Tripods. Wide-angle viewfinders are a gray-area I guess, but I think this is more a tool than an accessory.

Lastly, does anyone use the Leicagoodie accessory of "Sling"?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I use a strap.

After years of using softies on my Ms and trying one on the M8 for a few months I abandoned it. The softie seemesto emphasise the notchiness in the release and I actually prefer my shutter release naked. Your experience may differ, and since they're so cheap easy to try.

I use a strap.

After years of using softies on my Ms and trying one on the M8 for a few months I abandoned it. The softie seemesto emphasise the notchiness in the release and I actually prefer my shutter release naked. Your experience may differ, and since they're so cheap easy to try.

Yes, my experience with a softie has been the same - I find it impossible to use the lightmeter lock with a softie fitted.

However, I have fitted both the Leica handgrip and a 'Thumbs Up' model 3CS to my M8 and find that they vastly improve the handling, especially for vertical shots.

I also like the Voigtlander wide neck strap strap that I've fitted to my M8 - it's non-adjustable, but just about the perfect length and, being made of soft fabric, very kind on the skin.

I use a standard Leica strap with rubber shoulder pad and a self-modified Thubs-up Model 1. I thought about replacing the body covering but, the Thumbs-up made all the difference in the handling of the camera.

As mentioned above, I am also not a great fan of the Softie releases and prefer to use the shutter release as is.

Best,

Jan

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Jan: I REALLY like the modified thumbs-up/voigt double shoe. That's how it should be!

My bling:

UpStrap camera strap - simply THE best strap ever. Ugly but never slides off.

Leica Grip & Kirk PZ-118 plate for tripod work.

Luigi half case with grip & back flap for walkaround

Large softies.

Leicagoodies Steer for CV 35/1.2 - ugly but much faster to focus.

Leicagoodies Hooks for rapid strap removal & occasional sling use.

Other stuff bought but failed the usability test:

- RRS L Bracket - I sometimes use it - this is the one case where Kirk have a better solution.

- Leica leather half case - no love for this shiny leather and mini-bump.

- Leica neoprene case - ditto.

- Giottos LCD cover - broke one on one M8 - pain to remove. Now I'm waiting for the other to break on the other M8 so that I can remove it. Needs to be a tiny bit smaller with less edge. Nice to use but fragile.

* M8 grip - always

* Thumbsup/ThumbsupCS - most times

* 1.25x - sometimes

* -0.5 diopter - allways

* Leica Straight neoprene strap (a binocular accessory) - always

* My softie is permanently relocated to my M3 where it makes the shutter release butter smooth. I tried and didn't like it on the M6 either. Works best on the Ms without built in meters. Somehow it just doesn't agree with the multi staged release of my M6 and M8.

Oh, and a Billingham Pola Stowaway.

- Carl

- Softie & black neoprene hand strap (nothing fancy looking) on my MP;

- M8s are naked, if we don't count the neck strap (Domke, black, nothing fancy here as well).

Do a few Leica lenses count as (very) expensive accessories? :D

Do a few Leica lenses count as (very) expensive accessories? :D

Hmm... feeling that we have to compensate for lack of accessories? Maybe if you slung it on your strap maybe...

Naked save a bit of black tape covering the "M8" and logo on the front.

Same as what I have now. Ah, the cheapest form of accessory, the mystifying of your Leica model.

Interesting responses so far. I'd like to hear more.

I am personally a fan on some gear from leicagoodies.com

1. Sling: Great way to "secure the M6 and M8 to my hand, sans strap

2. Shade: prevents viewfinder/prism glare, especially in low light

3. Snob: similar ergonomic effect as the Thumbs Up, but essentially a half rubber ball (much cheaper, same effect; as it costs $8 compared to $130 for the Thumbs Up)

4. Leica grip

5. Soft release

6. Tape to cover logos

I feel that this set up makes the M8 or M6 nearly invisible, easy to grip, easy to port, and gives me a stop or 2 in terms of stabilization of imagery....I have been satisfied and gradually evolving this set up from shooting "naked" for some time...I like my Leicas dressed up a bit these days....

Of course, when not shooting, all is secured in Belligham camera bags! Love them!

Thumbs Up model 3

Black Griptac covering from cameraleather.com

Artist & Artisan leather wrist strap or black Silk Cord strap or Upstrap

DAG black dot

I used to always use either the Leica grip or a Luigi half case with grip. However, after applying the griptac covering the camera feels just right with just the TU.

I wish Morgan made a griptac kit that could help me keep a grip on reality as well as the one that helps me keep a grip on my M8.

John

I'm an incurable scruff and the very concept of bling makes me cringe. The only items of personal jewellery I possess are cheap cufflinks and I've never consciously shopped by designer label (unless you count Levis in that definition). Thus, this thread has disturbed my equilibrium and causes me to re-evaluate my self-image.

My M8 is dressed in a full Luigi case in 'Rally' leather with matching deluxe strap, battery and SD card case and wrist strap. It sports a soft release and the Thumbs-Up CS. The Leica 1.25 viewfinder magnifier tarts up the look still further and the LCD screen is pimped with a Zagg Invisible Sheild.

I have booked a long session with my shrink next week ....

If I owned a classic MG sports car, I would not install a coffee machine in it. Living as I do at nearly 90°N, I need a flash occasionally. That's all.

The M shutter release is very cleverly designed. The actual button is surrounded by a rigid collar. By putting your finger on both the button AND the collar simultaneously, you achieve a more controlled release. It is like pistol shooting. When increasing the pressure on the trigger with your first finger, you must also exert a contrary, stabilising pressure with the thumb. People who don't learn that don't hit much.

The old man from the Age of the Parabellum