How do you accessorize your M8 (or at all)?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I caught some flak over my fancy leather ;) But I hate the original plastic cover, it is not grippy enough. The camera is better to hold with leather covering. A bonus was that the leather even dampened the shutter sound a bit.

For the colours I take full responsibility though:D

What did you expect, man? When you put a pink lace cover in the shape of bikini briefs on the outside of your M8, you're bound to get some flak for it.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree and the more battered it looks, the less notice it will get. Anyone care to offer a "designer dents and scratches service"?

Fender guitars have it down to a fine art. You can get your 50s-vintage Strat or Tele in one of three "time machine" variants: NOS – New Old Stock, where the guitar has been magically transported from the 50s to today; "Closet Classic", where it's been owned by one careful guy who only plays it at home a couple of times a week (slight wear to pickguard and body contours, some oxidisation of the machineheads etc) and "Relic", which has been gigged to death in smoky clubs – all the paint's gone off the back from buckle rash, the contact points are all worn, the hardwear's rusty as hell and there's often a cigarette burn on the headstock where someone's reefer has been allowed to smoulder carelessly.

These guitars cost between 3 and 5 times the cost of the "standard" American series (which are about £600 / £800). Needless to say, opinion is split as to whether they're a brilliant idea or a kind of tragic reality-check failure.

But if Leica revealed the "Robert Capa M8", scuffed and scratched and with bits of Normandy beach sand stuck in it*, in a limited edition series at, eg, £6500 a pop – do you think they wouldn't sell? ;):D

*and yes, I know he wasn't carrying an M that day...

But if Leica revealed the "Robert Capa M8", scuffed and scratched and with bits of Normandy beach sand stuck in it*, in a limited edition series at, eg, £6500 a pop – do you think they wouldn't sell?

Possibly they would, but only if they came with version of C1 that screwed up the RAW conversion.

I used to wear my strap over one shoulder to avoid the counter hit in shops or the child decapitation on leaning forward but of course you can't easily bring the camera to the eye. I came across the y strap web hopping and saw the answer. A shoulder strap with a running link it just works.

Y STRAP The Figital Revolution

Is it safe to hang an M and a lens from just one eyelet?

Is it safe to hang an M and a lens from just one eyelet?

If one eyelet breaks on a double strap the camera will fall just as effectively as if the strap was on one that let go. But yes the weight is on one. The maker says he has contacted Leica and there is no issue. The eyelet is held in by two screws on Ms other than some early 3s which were "crimped" or equivalent. I suppose you could rig a safety chain to the other eyelet that would still allow the running ring to work.

I have to say as well that when you want to use the camera without a strap the split ring is much easier and faster to remove than those Leica clips which I still never get on the correct way around first time.

Lastly, does anyone use the Leicagoodie accessory of "Sling"?

The Sling is not Bling. In fact, it is downright ugly. But, boy, is it useful. I have gone all-Leicagoodies with their Strap, Hook and Sling and have never looked back. It is particularly nice to be able to carry the camera on the Strap/Hook combination under a jacket for safety and invisibility and then to be able to put the M8 in the palm of my hand with the Sling for steady and secure shooting. To me, this is the essence of Leica photography.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What did you expect, man? When you put a pink lace cover in the shape of bikini briefs on the outside of your M8, you're bound to get some flak for it.

You are talking about the grippyness of bikini briefs now??:eek::eek:

The M8 handgrip and 1.25 magnifier have both become constant companions. The handgrip makes the camera far easier to hold in virtually any position, and the magnifier is critical because of the increased sensitivity to back-focus / focal plane issues with the M8 as compared to the film M cameras I previously used. Both highly recommended....

The Sling is not Bling. In fact, it is downright ugly. But, boy, is it useful. I have gone all-Leicagoodies with their Strap, Hook and Sling and have never looked back. It is particularly nice to be able to carry the camera on the Strap/Hook combination under a jacket for safety and invisibility and then to be able to put the M8 in the palm of my hand with the Sling for steady and secure shooting. To me, this is the essence of Leica photography.

Can you install the Sling while having the strap on as well? The photos on Leicagoodies only has the Sling with no strap.

Can you install the Sling while having the strap on as well? The photos on Leicagoodies only has the Sling with no strap.

Yes. The Sling goes on the right (shutter-release) side gromet and the Hook and Strap go on the other gromet. You can easily shoot with the camera attached to the Hook and Strap, but I usually unhook it for extended shooting. The Sling is a bit tedious to atttach and detach, so I leave it on all the time even in the camera case and on the tripod or flash potato masher. It does not get in the way when not in use.

Here's a tally of all the accessories mentioned from the posts. Thanks to everyone who've responded. It looks like nearly everyone's Leicas are unique, which I think says a lot about making your Leica personal and one-of-a-kind.

• Luigi Crescenzi Case (various models): 8
  • Leica Case: 2
  • Thumbs Up (various models): 7
  • Leica Handgrip: 7
  • Magnifier/Dioptor (various models): 16
  • Voigtlander Neck Strap: 1
  • UPstrap: 2
  • Cameraleather body cover: 3
  • Domke Neck Strap: 1
  • Luigi Crescenzi Strap: 4
  • Artist & Artisan Strap (various): 3
  • Gordy Strap: 1
  • Stephen Schaub "Y Strap": 2
  • StreetShooter: 2
  • Leicagoodie Hook: 3
  • Leicagoodie Shade: 1
  • Leicagoodie Sling: 3
  • Leicagoodie Steer: 1
  • Leicagoodie Strap: 2
  • Leicagoodie Snob: 1
  • LCD Protection (various models): 4
  • Softie - Still use: 11
  • Softie - Don't use: 4
  • Tape over logo/model #: 6
  • Nothing: 10

Nothing scientific but it does give some idea popularity of some items. I broke the softies into two categories, one for those who still use it, and another for users who bought it but don't use it anymore. I even included those who taped over the Leica logo or M8. There's probably a greater number out there that do this, but weren't mentioned specifically in the post.

I counted a total of 44 Leicas with the various combos above, and of these, 10 that did not have any accessories on them (including those that use tape as that's not really an accessory)

Here's a tally of all the accessories mentioned from the posts. Thanks to everyone who've responded. It looks like nearly everyone's Leicas are unique, which I think says a lot about making your Leica personal and one-of-a-kind.

• Luigi Crescenzi Case (various models): 8
  • Leica Case: 2
  • Thumbs Up (various models): 7
  • Leica Handgrip: 7
  • Magnifier/Dioptor (various models): 16
  • Voigtlander Neck Strap: 1
  • UPstrap: 2
  • Cameraleather body cover: 3
  • Domke Neck Strap: 1
  • Luigi Crescenzi Strap: 4
  • Artist & Artisan Strap (various): 3
  • Gordy Strap: 1
  • Stephen Schaub "Y Strap": 2
  • StreetShooter: 2
  • Leicagoodie Hook: 3
  • Leicagoodie Shade: 1
  • Leicagoodie Sling: 3
  • Leicagoodie Steer: 1
  • Leicagoodie Strap: 2
  • Leicagoodie Snob: 1
  • LCD Protection (various models): 4
  • Softie - Still use: 11
  • Softie - Don't use: 4
  • Tape over logo/model #: 6
  • Nothing: 10

Nothing scientific but it does give some idea popularity of some items. I broke the softies into two categories, one for those who still use it, and another for users who bought it but don't use it anymore. I even included those who taped over the Leica logo or M8. There's probably a greater number out there that do this, but weren't mentioned specifically in the post.

I counted a total of 44 Leicas with the various combos above, and of these, 10 that did not have any accessories on them (including those that use tape as that's not really an accessory)

Sorry, I forgot:

- Softie on my MP (does it count?)

- DA Protector screen protector, soon to be replaced with a ZAGG protector.

- Leica Magnifier

Thanks for doing this, it was fun to see what everyone has on their Ms...

I got the Giottos screen protector and it's nice, but I wonder if I should have just let the original get scratched, and replace it with a non-sapphire part as needed?

Extra batteries, SD cards and oh yes, a Gepe Card Safe Extreme: These are the best. It must be made of polycarbonate as it seems extremely tough, and I no longer find my SD cards mixed in with the debris at the bottom of my camera bag.