Sign in to follow this  
Paul Hart

CV 35/1,4 Nokton - Sean Reid review, Part 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am not a reviewer and I respect Sean very very much. But my CV 35 1.4 does not seem to exhibit the issues he found with his samples.

I offered once before and offer again to loan Sean my copy to see if it is really sample variation or if I just don't know how to look for these issues.

Woody Spedden

Tom and Chris shoot film, Sean digital Digital is much less forgiving then film. I had 3 older 35 1.4 non asph lux lenses. 2 sucked one was great sorry I let it get away from me. David

Two people who have used the lens that don't agree with your 'review' Sean, Chris Weeks and Tom A. Something seems to be broken.

As they say individual results may vary. I hope this is not about who is right with all due respect to all three opinions.

I own the MC version of the lens and sadly, my copy has the same performance issues as the lenses Sean tested. Here is a set of photos taken with it; including some test shots for focus shift (soup cans).

I own seven other CV lenses and haven't had a single problem with any of them. It's just my 35/1.4 Nokton. I'm terribly disappointed in it, because I was really, really looking forward to having a small, fast 35mm lens that I could actually afford.

I'm beginning to believe this is a Q/C problem and not a design flaw.

all you need to know:

LEICA 35mm SUMMILUX APSH [+]

Additional thing I know:

LEICA 35MM F/1.4 SUMMILUX ASPH BLACK USA W/ 6-BIT CODING

Product ID : 11874

Price: $3,895.00

I'll never be able to afford that.

Please don't hate me, but I bought my 35/1.4 ASPH when it cost much less that it does now. (I still had to sell some things to finance it, but no regrets). If I had to give up all my lenses but one, this would be the one I'd keep for the M8, despite its mild focus shift (on my copy, your mileage may vary). It's just so versatile. However, since I also have a 35/2 Mandler-era Summicron whose rendition I prefer in good lght, I tend to use the 'Cron for outdoors, and the Lux for available light.

There is a Voigtlander-based aternative to this two-lens solution. Get the 35/1.2 Nokton, and the 35/2.5 Skopar. Both are excellent lenses, and the combined cost is less than most Leica 35mm lenses, new or used.

Maggie, I am finding myself shamelessly pining over your (your parents'?) Schnauzer. I love terriers, and we are "between dogs" right now.

--Peter

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ah, the 35mm Summilux-M ASPH... Mine arrived earlier this week, and back focus issues are nowhere to be seen. I had to let my 35mm Summicron ASPH go to help finance it, but it was totally worth it. I've had "Oh my..." moments all week through. I never thought I would say this, but this is one lens that is worth every euro cent.

yep the 35 lux is definitely a stonking lens

i have been stunned by mine and have only had it 3 weeks or so

i tried the 1.2 nokton out recently though and was quite surprised at that

a cracking lens and although its big its noweher near as ehavy or unweildy as something like a noctilux

Any comments folks?

Yes, Tom and I just had a good conversation by phone. He hasn't tested for focus shift yet but will be. He'll also be reading the article soon.

Cheers,

Sean

Two people who have used the lens that don't agree with your 'review' Sean, Chris Weeks and Tom A. Something seems to be broken.

As they say individual results may vary. I hope this is not about who is right with all due respect to all three opinions.

At any rate - I don't own the lens (I'll stick with the 40mm Nokton for the time being). I have read your review - looked at Tom's images on flickr and may even get a chance to try this lens someday. Like most until I have used it myself it is what it is.

Best to all. Terry.

It may come to pass that Tom finds the same focus shift that I have. We'll see once he gets a chance to do those tests. As for the corners, we'll see when I get other samples to test.

Cheers,

Sean

At any rate - I don't own the lens (I'll stick with the 40mm Nokton for the time being). I have read your review - looked at Tom's images on flickr and may even get a chance to try this lens someday. Like most until I have used it myself it is what it is.

Best to all. Terry.

BTW, why 'review'?

Cheers,

Sean

I am not a reviewer and I respect Sean very very much. But my CV 35 1.4 does not seem to exhibit the issues he found with his samples.

I offered once before and offer again to loan Sean my copy to see if it is really sample variation or if I just don't know how to look for these issues.

Woody Spedden

Hi Woody,

I don't recall seeing the first offer but please PM me and lets set this up.

Cheers,

Sean

BTW, why 'review'?

Cheers,

Sean

Good catch good question. I consider your 'review' work far more exploratory+real world then what I have come to expect from 'Internet' reviewers (my bias) of photo gear. I not sure the word review properly categorizes your efforts - most 'reviews' are light weight these days and yours are not. I hope that makes some sense.

Best Regards. Terry.

Hi Woody,

I don't recall seeing the first offer but please PM me and lets set this up.

Cheers,

Sean

Sean

I don't have your email address and I can't send email to you from this site. Could you email me at elwood@wsnconsult.com and we'll get this done. I really look forward to your findings on my lens

Woody

all you need to know:

LEICA 35mm SUMMILUX APSH [+]

I tried the new CV lens and found it not dissimilar to the Zeiss (50mm) Planar I had, with problems of colour rendition and fringing with foliage brightly backlit. I was allowed a full credit on the lens and bought instead a recent 35mm Summicron ASPH is as-new condition. Well worth the extra money. I had liked the 'pancake' Colar Skopar a while back so was really disappointed with the 1.4/35mm's performance...

Maggie, Do you know why the thread was deleted, I found it interesting reading.

Jeff

Jeff, not sure but at some point of it some personal attacks to Sean questioning his integrity started to appear, I assume this might be a reason for it to be deleted. As a subscriber to ReidReviews, not otherwise related to Sean or to his business, I have to say that while wether his reviews are useful to someone or not is a completely personal thing, Sean's reviews are as good as they get as reviews coming from a photographer's point of view and are always carried on with precision and in a balanced way.

I think respect is due to Sean for the work he is doing for the RF community and photography community in general. Personally, thanks Sean for all the work you are putting into it.