psss

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest rweisz

I can't see what all the bitching is about. The M8 has a slow burst rate, it's not like it can rip at 10fps like a 1DIII, the DNG's aren't that big because it's only 10mp not 21 like a 1DSIII. Maybe it's because I have one of each of the above, for shoots where I need the speed or the detail, but I don't have any problem with the "old fashion" SD cards, even 2GB one's, when I use my M8. Now then, if non-HC SD cards quickly become extinct, then it might be cause for constipation. But seeing as how Leica is dedicated to keeping the M8 up to date forever :rolleyes: they could someday offer a factory upgrade to HC. No doubt some people would pay a couple thou for it ;)

Alas, Andy.

In my heart I wondered about this, tho it was in a list of firmware updates before this.

Is this for certain? I have been waiting to acquire some more SD cards and will get some if we're *not* going to get HC.

mmmmmmm........ (That's 'Murican for expletive deleted.)

Is this for certain?

"Ye cannae fight the laws of physics"

It requires bits of tin (hardware) to be replaced. It goes far deeper than firmware. SD cards are FAT 16, whereas SDHC cards are FAT 32. No amount of wishful thinking will change the fact.

Regards,

Bill

I have heard the exact opposite about SDHC and M8 support: according to "well-placed" sources I've heard from the hardware support is in fact there, but the software is not yet. So I'd counsel patience, and remember that no-one really knows but Leica :) I reserve the right to be completely wrong on this.

But many thought--and quite vocally, too--that AWB could not be fixed either without a hardware change.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Au contraire, I always knew that Leica would get the w/b right.... :)

Thanks for chiming in, Jamie. So ... (when) we get HCSD support, do you think the writes will be faster? I ask since the 4GB cards that are *out of spec* (that is, not HC) are slower to write to than 2GB cards. My thot is that the computer that is the camera has to deal with a fat table that is bigger than the buffer that was reserved for *in spec* cards.

This stuff would be in the firmware code and someone more handy than I could look to see how big the area is that was reserved for file name entries.

Life in the Leica lane is a constant source of surprises.

I'm really not that old but I feel it about now, with 133 .dng's and high quality .jpg's I've never really felt limited by a 2gig card.

There are two major hardware hurdles in my life, one is the Luigi case and the other is the plate on the bottom of the camera.

I think there would be fewer demands for SDHC if it was easier to change the card.

I am sure that in the first of the FAQ responses that Leica issued, it was clearly stated that SDHC support would come, but that it required a complete re-write of the driver for it to happen. That was some time ago now, but they have been busy getting the AWB right and perhaps they are now deep in sorting out firmware for up and coming goodies (R10?).

I am sure that in the first of the FAQ responses that Leica issued, it was clearly stated that SDHC support would come, but that it required a complete re-write of the driver for it to happen. That was some time ago now, but they have been busy getting the AWB right and perhaps they are now deep in sorting out firmware for up and coming goodies (R10?).

You're correct, Leica still lists that answer in the latest FAQ list (Jan '08). Anyone's guess is as good as mine though, concerning when and if an update might appear.

One can only hope that the lack of SDHC effort on Leica's part has gone directly into the R10 :D

@ Bill--I'm not sure whether writing with SDHC cards will be faster, but I wouldn't be surprised if only because there will be more types of cards (and perhaps newer ones) to choose from.

FWIW, I didn't think my 5d was card limited either on Extreme 3 two GB cards, but the Extreme 4 is way faster.

And what I really want with SDHC support is faster writing to the computer, not the camera. I'm pretty sure we would get that regardless of whether the M8 is maxed out right now.

... And what I really want with SDHC support is faster writing to the computer, not the camera. I'm pretty sure we would get that regardless of whether the M8 is maxed out right now.

I keep maxing out the buffer. So, I'd like a card that writes faster than the 2GB card (Ridata 150x). Working with the setting hi-res + jpg, it takes 40 seconds to clear the buffer when using the Ridata 2GB card. An additional shot is available sooner than that, but (doing the math) only about 1 every 5 secs.

Please, sir, may I have more?

Earlier I had a very quick look at the SD and SDHC interface specifications and at a first glance it looks as if it's possible to accommodate SDHC. In fact some of the signal lines that are bidirectional in the SD spec are unidirectional in the SDHC spec. That simplifies the interface for SDHC. When the specs talk about "physical hardware layer compatibility" it looks as if that includes the actual physical connections and the signal driver software. So it's possible to have connection compatibility but incompatible software which may be the M8 situation. So we'll have to wait and see :) .

Bob.

I keep maxing out the buffer. So, I'd like a card that writes faster than the 2GB card (Ridata 150x). Working with the setting hi-res + jpg, it takes 40 seconds to clear the buffer when using the Ridata 2GB card. An additional shot is available sooner than that, but (doing the math) only about 1 every 5 secs.

Please, sir, may I have more?

Oh I hear you on the buffer...I'd like a faster one too!

I just don't know if a faster card would fix that or not, Bill. After all, if the M8 is writing as fast as it can already, well, then additional write speed on the card won't help any.

I hope one of the fabled upgrades, one day, is to get an M8 with an enormous amount of very fast buffer :) Memory is cheap-ish, after all... and the M8 shouldn't be hobbled by hitting the buffer when shooting.

I'm really not that old but I feel it about now, with 133 .dng's and high quality .jpg's I've never really felt limited by a 2gig card.

There are two major hardware hurdles in my life, one is the Luigi case and the other is the plate on the bottom of the camera.

I think there would be fewer demands for SDHC if it was easier to change the card.

Gareth

I totally agree. The 2GB limit is only an issue to the extent that the retro design for the bottom plate of the M8 is impractical. Mind you, I rarely exceed my 2GB card limit but the other day I did. There I was in the cold, juggling camera, bottom plate and two SD cards (inevitably one ended up in the mud). Dumb, dumb, dumb.

If someone with CAD experience can come up with a replacement bottom place with grip with better access to cards and batteries then there is a ready and willing market.

Incidentally, it is this removable bottom plate which means I will never buy a Luigi case.

LouisB

I change cards the same way that I changed film on a film M, with the camera round my neck on a strap. Flip the camera upside down and the bottom can be removed, card replaced, and bottom refitted without any problem. Using the strap leaves both hands free as one of them isn't being used to hold the camera.