SDHC card please

psss

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This may be the wrong forum (sorry) but I'm new to Leica since I just received a V-Lux-1 for my birthday. I've had it only 3 days and am still trying to learn the features, but so far I love it. Since it came with a 512MB card, I need to buy some more storage (quick) before leaving on a trip. I'm having a difficult time finding out which to get...SD or SDHC? Thanks for any help!

Linda

This may be the wrong forum (sorry) but I'm new to Leica since I just received a V-Lux-1 for my birthday. I've had it only 3 days and am still trying to learn the features, but so far I love it. Since it came with a 512MB card, I need to buy some more storage (quick) before leaving on a trip. I'm having a difficult time finding out which to get...SD or SDHC? Thanks for any help!

Linda

hi linda, welcome to the forum and congrats with your camera. if you do a search at the forum you will sure find an answer on most of your questions. otherwise read the manual or you can also download the brochure at:

Leica Camera AG - Photography - V-Lux 1

...and yes your camera accepts both sd AND sdhc. try the sandisk extreme III 2gb ;)

i feel like i am beating a dead horse here...but really...will there be SDHC support? is this doable via software update? it is for other cameras (much cheaper ones...)....please leica, please....

The mechanical Leica M´s where able to shoot 2 pictures/second and as we know whery good pictures where taken with this equipment. After 36 pictures you had to make a pause to change the film, why do you need SDHC support ?

Olof, if one shoots 2 pictures per second with the M8, then in 5 seconds the buffer is full. With a 2GB hi-speed card, there is a 5-second wait for the buffer to clear enough to allow a single additional picture. So, now you're not shooting 2 pix/second, you're shooting 1 every 5 seconds.

When the buffer is full and the user is using a 2GB card, it can take 40-50 seconds for the buffer to finish writing to the SD card.

This is a serious issue for someone who is shooting movement, or any kind of images that require rapid shooting. I think we are all hoping that HC will speed up the writing to the card from the buffer. I hope that the bus speed in the M8 is such that it will be able to take advantage of faster media.

The biggest issue is future-proofing; when manufacturing of SD (non-HC) cards ceases in the relatively near future it will not be possible to buy a card which can be used in the M8. SDHC is thus a critical requirement, especially if Leica intends to continue to offer new M8s after a year or two from today. Because this is so I can't imagine the Leica engineers are ignoring the issue.