SDHC card please

psss

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This drives me out of my socks - I really would like to see Leica donate SDHC for the M8. Normal SD cards get already rare in Shanghai - chinese production has already stopped. Maybe soon Solms offers custom made SD cards - hand pressed and welded in Germany? That could save us from having an outdated camera sitting in the drawer.... I hope a solution can be found.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Normal SD cards get already rare in Shanghai - chinese production has already stopped. Maybe soon Solms offers custom made SD cards - hand pressed and welded in Germany? That could save us from having an outdated camera sitting in the drawer.... I hope a solution can be found.

Hi Citrus;

What I have done is to go and get a bunch of 2G SD cards; they are now pretty inexpensive. I expect my SD card collection to outlast my M8.

What I expect to have trouble with in the future are batteries; they don't seem to last in storage, and chances of someone still making M8-dimensioned batteries 10 or 20 years from now is pretty slim.

(yes, I know, digital cameras have a finite life, but, Leicas used to last for generations...)

JohnS.

Hi Citrus;

What I have done is to go and get a bunch of 2G SD cards; they are now pretty inexpensive. I expect my SD card collection to outlast my M8.

Very true. I just bought $90 worth of SD cards, and got a $60 rebate on them. I have to use SDHC on my little GRD2, because the damned thing generates at 15MB raw file, and insists on accompanying it with a JPEG or 3-5 MB -- you need to have to big JPEG for chimping at full zoom. But SDHC are cheap, too. The key resource is readers, since I care more about download time to the PC than burst speed. But they seem to be given away with each new card generation. I'm not losing much sleep over this one.

scott

I wish you guys would stop making me spend money!

All this whining about SD cards being hard to find -- seems to be true. The Ridata 2GB 150x card that I have been using is about $40 now. I just found and bot SanDisk 2GB Ultra II cards from Amazon at $16.90 (via Adorama).

I need some more cards and am tired of waiting for HC to come for the M8. Of course, this means that as soon as the cards arrive at my door, Leica will release the firmware that supports SDHC.

Regards to all,

... Of course, this means that as soon as the cards arrive at my door, Leica will release the firmware that supports SDHC....

That's for sure - at the end I will be catched up (always normally!) by same issue. But this time it might be a little different because I'm not willing to upgrade actual from Ultra II to any other high sophisticated miracle-cards - we can feel safe for the moment ...

I keep you informend when I think about upgrading ... :D

Michael (still happy with lot of Ultra II's)

Well, in the UK Dixons are asking effectively 25 EUR and that's including a 20% off special. Some places in the UK are double that.

Jaap, I suggest you set up a new business and I offer to be the first customer. :D

Bob.

I have been buying cards other than SanDisk ones because of the problem with fakes. They're too popular, so I have been keeping away.

As I clicked the "Complete Order" button on the Amazon website, I made a mental note to test the hell out of these 5 cards as soon as they arrived.

I'll also run some speed tests in comparison with the Ridata 150x cards and report here.

This is like walking around the corner to see if the bus is coming and then not being able to get to the stop in time to get on it. The Gnomes are probably LOL as they make the final preparations for the next firmware release.

I bought a microSD 2GB for my cellphone there yesterday at 18.95 and when I commented on the low price he offered me the full-sized ones at 10.95...Maybe he was drunk?? I'll take him up on it now.

Good idea. I'll stock up on 2GB Ultra II's tonight. They are down to ten Euro at Dixons.

Be careful about fakes. Ask for guarantee for original parts and possibility to return ...

I bought via ebay at a dealer who confirmed that. No problems so fare ...

Think that average going price is about 14€ here in Germany.

Michael

.......................... What I expect to have trouble with in the future are batteries; they don't seem to last in storage, and chances of someone still making M8-dimensioned batteries 10 or 20 years from now is pretty slim....................

If you're worried about this I suggest keeping the old none working batteries when you get replacements. I'm sure suitable cells which could be fitted into the old cases will be available if the battery with it's present form factor is discontinued. That is of course unless battery technology changes completely.

Bob

:mad::mad:Turns out he was confused about some el-cheapo no-name cards. Anyway, I stocked up regardless... But no reason to panic. Normal SD cards are industry standard in navigation equipment like TomTom, GPS etc. So they will be around for quite a while yet.

Floppy disks, if you are old enough to remember, are still freely available. Verbatim and Maxell are still producing them.

:mad::mad:Turns out he was confused about some el-cheapo no-name cards. Anyway, I stocked up regardless... But no reason to panic. Normal SD cards are industry standard in navigation equipment like TomTom, GPS etc. So they will be around for quite a while yet.

Floppy disks, if you are old enough to remember, are still freely available. Verbatim and Maxell are still producing them.

Jaap:

I just saw the Ultra II 2gb for $34.99 CAD a pair in a Best Buy flyer. That is probably about 10 Euro a piece.

Best Buy Canada Web Store: Cameras & Camcorders: Digital Memory: Sandisk 2-Pack 2GB Ultra II SD Memory Cards

Robert

Just do it. I have a million 2Gb cards, and it's really just annoying.

On a project where there is only a very small risk that your camera will be stolen (the main reason why you would split a project across a bunch of cards), it's more likely that you will misplace a second 2gb memory card than have a failure/loss of a single 4Gb one in the camera.

And the rest of the world is on SDHD.

It needs hardware support, not software.

I believe that the M8 was designed pre-SDHC, and will, therefore, never be able to support SDHC cards.

The Leica web site has a downloadable document that lists a couple of 4GB cards. Aren't any cards over 2GB SDHC cards or am I mistaken? If they are then there seems to be support for SDHC cards and supporting other must be a firmware issue.

On the other hand if it is only a firmware issue, why haven't they addressed in in all this time?

- Vikas

The Leica web site has a downloadable document that lists a couple of 4GB cards. Aren't any cards over 2GB SDHC cards or am I mistaken? If they are then there seems to be support for SDHC cards and supporting other must be a firmware issue.

They are a few SD, non SDHC 4Gb cards indeed. They are out of formal SD specs but they work.

On the other hand if it is only a firmware issue, why haven't they addressed in in all this time?

Maybe because they have been busy adressing issues with a real influence on pictures like AWB ?

... On the other hand if it is only a firmware issue, why haven't they addressed in in all this time? ...

Did you still remember those old days when we where forced to change film every 36 pics? Not at all that easy procedure ;)

Now you can take at least more then triple of that with standard 2GB card. Not everything was better in past ...

BTW I once asked Leica CS what type of card they would recommend for M8 in view of secure operation and reliability. Got info that Ultra II was recommended. Now confirmed by me.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...